Is anyone struggling to stick to the recommended calorie int

Options
Hi, maybe it just me - but I am struggling a bit to keep within the calorie limit to loose weight - somedays I consume well under the 1700 calories I am meant to and other days I am hitting close to 1900-2000.

I have been using MFP for about a week and a half - but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and any ideas how to deal with it

My problems usually occur during the evening - i will be on track all day and then my dinner brings me over or I have snack after dinner (I eat pretty early at the moment) and that brings me over

Also - I find my snacking throughout the day amounts to more calories than my individual meals - is this a good idea

Thanks

Replies

• youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    maybe try to plan your evening meal first and log it then see what you have left for the rest of the day for you breakfast and lunch and your snacks..
  • mlove1307
    Options
    My goal allows me 1510 calories a day. I'm set to lose 1.5lb per week and for my height/weight thats what I can eat. I exercise daily (even if its just a walk) to add more calories because I know 1510 is NOT going to sustain me.

I personally do not believe snacks should account for more than any one meal's calories. I aim to eat three 300-500 calorie meals a day, spaced four hours apart, with A SNACK between lunch and dinner. I find, snacking does not fill me up and I would rather have that "full" sensation by eating during meals then throughout the day.

1700 calories of nutritious, whole foods (think fruits and veggies) mixed in with some not so awesome stuff should be able to keep you under your daily limit. From reading your post, I would recommend you cut the snacking down, aim for balanced calories in your meals and maybe add a 30 minute walk to add extra calories if that's what it takes.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or would like me to elaborate. Have a great weekend and good luck!!!! :]
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have found that as long as 1) I am eating healthy stuff and 2) exercising, I can go about 200 over a day and still lose weight. Everyone's body is different, so if you find that it is still working with a bit more calories, you are doing fine.

I have also recently discovered that if I eat a snack that is filling (almonds, cashews, etc.), I really don't need a full meal at the traditional times. It took a while because I always thought I was "supposed" to eat lunch, consisting of a meat, a fruit, a whole grain starch all together. Now, if I am truly not hungry, I eat less at lunch and space out my snacks more.

Are you adding in exercise calories? That is what saves me - I can't eat only 1,200 calories a day, so I exercise to be able to eat more. It is a great motivator!

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    hi, my goal is set at 1450 cals and alot of days i dont even reach that many, but other days i do reach that. some days (not often) i go over the 1450, but stay within my added exercise cals. if u find ur not losing weight, then try to adjust what ur eating. it may take a lil time to find what works for you! hang in there and good luck!!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    A good way to keep an eye on this is if you know what you are going to have for dinner, say in the morning, then put your calories etc in then (as this will more than likely take more than other meals and snacks), and you know where you will be with breakfast, lunch, snacks etc :smile:

I've been here just over a week and I've been slightly under my calories but slightly over my fat, I am still learning how to control it, but getting there lol!

Stacey
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    hallswan,
    I can totally relate to your problem. I've been on MFP now for the past two months and my recommended calories are 1250 and the only way it seems that I can either stay at that number or below is if I exercise a bit more and earn those extra cals.

However, more recently I have noticed that I have been subconsciously adding calories while i eat and I won't eat the bread during dinner or that extra helping of my entree. I think it just becomes habit, for that I am thankful to MFP.

Keep it up! It takes time to break bad habits and create new ones.
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It was very hard for me for the first week - I felt like I was hungry all the time. It's become much less hard in weeks two and three and four.

For me, exercise is the cure. If I get a good workout, I can eat something extra. A spin class? Woohoo! 600 calories! Karate for 75 minutes? Man, I could eat a cheesecake! (well, OK, maybe not, but still...)

Snack-wise, I eat an apple (80 calories) in the late afternoon and stay away from soda, diet-soda, or anything sugary as I'll get a sugar crash and become irrational.

Find time to exercise, it'll give you breathing room on calories and really helps build a heathy metabolism.
  • jesskennedy
    Options
    I always try to plan all my meals the night before, so i've got a chance to work out all my calories that i'll have for the day....i'm allowed 1640 a day, and i find it really helps when i know exactly what im having....i sometimes leave a hundred or so calories free each day, to allow me for a little snacking if i do get really hungry : )
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    A good way to keep an eye on this is if you know what you are going to have for dinner, say in the morning, then put your calories etc in then (as this will more than likely take more than other meals and snacks), and you know where you will be with breakfast, lunch, snacks etc :smile:

I've been here just over a week and I've been slightly under my calories but slightly over my fat, I am still learning how to control it, but getting there lol!

Exercise has been a motivator for me too, means I can eat more! :laugh:

Stacey
  • pocostef
    Options
    Yes, like some people said, I found it hard to about day 4 and then it got easier. I've now lost my appetite pretty much! Good luck...
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me the first few weeks too...they say it takes 2 weeks to break a habit....maybe when you get over that hump....
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    it should be a little hard at first. force yourself to meet it even if its hard, then you know you're going to lose weight. drop your calories when you start to get comfortable. dieting is not about being comfortable, its about staying nourished.

if you eat lots of veggies, light cheeses, lean meats, fruit, and whole grain bread, 1700 should be room for 6 mini meals or 3 meals 2 snacks

avoid processed, packaged foods and resturant food- they're always full of calories

lastly, if your hungriest at night, save calories for night time! eating late is better than eating late aaand going over. so if you feel you have better willpower druing the day--save your calories.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's already been said

- it can be a bit tough in the beginning, but it gets easier, stick with it!

- add more protein to your diet, it helps keep you full longer, and not feel like you're starving

- if you want more calories, earn them, and eat your exercise calories!!!

Most of all, YOU CAN DO THIS. Make the changes you want to make in yourself, you have the tools and the support to do that with MFP.

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • hallswan
    Options
    Thanks all.... I eat pretty healthily - my snacks consists of fruits, lots of tea and crackers... but it mounts up! I think i am going try and plan my evening meal more - and work on some more filling lower calorie snack
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    It is hard to know without seeing your diary, but I have no problems staying in my calories generally. Try starting your day with protein, egg whites, peanut butter, something that will help you feel full longer. If you are anything like me it will work... i cant eat cold cereal in the morning because an hour later im hungry again.

what you eat matters. Look at my diary for today. I just put it in thinking I was going to be over because I feel like all I did today was eat... and i havent even eaten the snack I have in there yet.

It does get easier, but the key is finding lower fat, lower calorie foods that stay with you. eat another helping of salad or veggies for dinner, make sure your meats are lean and stay away from simple sugars or simple carbs as much as you can, keep as much of your food complex and close to nature if possible
  • scagle4008
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your concerns and to everyone for the wonderful suggestions..This is a great site.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my problem is getting all of my calories in. i have a hard time believing my body would ever think it's starving lol. it's got plenty of back up to keep going for years ha!

no seriously, i do struggle. like today i've eaten dinner and i'm about to head to the gym. i have 450 cals left, plus more after my workout. i'll end with about 700 cals or more. i'm trying to decide if a bowl of ice cream is an "okay" way of using those calories. i feel like i'm cheating by having it...????
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do too! Especially when I'm depressed or when like today my bf offers to take me to lunch and then brings home pizza for dinner. The best advice I can give you is eat fruits and veggies throughout the day. They're so healthy and non-fattening you can pretty much eat all day long without being hungry. I'm under my calorie goal tonight but im still hungry and this pizza is screaming my name!
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Its ok! You have to reward your self every once in a while or you'll never stick to the diet.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1700 too and I exercise every day so I can have extra calories. Those extra 250cals come in handy for night time snacks.