How "bad" is going over your sodium?

Options
I have a new easy favorite wrap, but it's so damn high in sodium. I have two of them a day, sometimes treat myself to a pickle, and then baked potato and salad for dinner. I just finished lunch and already I'm 674 mg over on sodium and I haven't even had dinner.

Any ideas?

I could cut out the tortilla, which amazingly has more sodium than my peppercinis, but those carbs (and then the potato after) really help me through working out.

Here's the wrap:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm150/kandi-panties/newfavmeal.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Too much sodium causes your blood pressure to go up and can lead to heart problems as well as strokes when you are older - also leads to water retention...
  • Karyn1964
    Options
    If you must have a wrap have the wheat wrap or carb free wrap so there is no lard in it or pretend you have a wrap and eat it on a plate without the wrap,i would do that. :noway: :noway: A wrap is like a bagel....not good:noway:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    On a normal day you should drink water equal to half your weight in ounces. if you find yourself going over in sodium, drink more water to help flush it out of your system, otherwise, as was said before, you'll gain water weight.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try a different wrap & if you can't omit the cheese trade it in for alow fat low sodium cheese...
    Myself i would trade in the pepperoni for turkey as well....

Too much salt makes me retain water badly, especially now that i am eating so clean. On the days that you find yourself eating more sodium definately drink extra water so you can try and flush it out faster.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    lol not pepperoni... peppercini... banana peppers.

The cheese is really nominal. Just a sprinkle. It's not even 1/8 cup.

I'm afraid of getting rid of the wrap totally because I don't have many carbs elsewhere. The spinach ones are also decently high in iron and calcium and being anemic that helps.

So frustrating.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the orowheat sandwich thins? I am using these for sandwiches and find them quite tasty. Could still get most of your carbs, more fiber and a lot less sodium.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    Have you tried the orowheat sandwich thins? I am using these for sandwiches and find them quite tasty. Could still get most of your carbs, more fiber and a lot less sodium.

Never even heard of them. Now I'm going on a hunt this weekend!

Damn sodium!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You could try having 1 torilla wrap and make another wrap using Romaine lettuce?

I've made a few wraps using a piece of romaine lettuce leaf.
    It's all food, who cares how it looks.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I also am using the multi grain and honey wheat sandwich thins but mine are made by arnold..you can get them at walmart that i know of..they are great..I even use them with peanut butter to make a sandwich..they are awsome..you should try them..
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The salt will make you hold water which will make you look fatter than you are. Caffiene makes you hold water and I was drinking like 4 mountian dews a day or more. I lost 3 lbs in water weight alone in 2 days just by cutting down to one soda a day. Salt is also bad for your blood pressure and other stuff.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    The salt will make you hold water which will make you look fatter than you are. Caffiene makes you hold water and I was drinking like 4 mountian dews a day or more. I lost 3 lbs in water weight alone in 2 days just by cutting down to one soda a day. Salt is also bad for your blood pressure and other stuff.

The funny thing is, you would think, with how much salt I was eating, that my BP would be sky high and actually it's ridiculously normal. So is the cholesterol and pulse and everything... cept the fact I'm fat lol That's why I'm not too too worried about the salt, but I'd still like to watch it none the less.

I've def heard that about coffee, but it also speeds your metabolism. I have a quadshot Americano 5 days a week... I don't think anyone wants to see me stop, but at least that's basically it for my caf. and it's only around 25 Calories for me (I don't get milk or sugar or anything... give me espresso and water lol)

How Drinking Coffee Helps:
    Coffee reduces the risk of type 2 Diabetes.
    Coffee gives you more energy for a tougher workout that lasts longer, making it possible to burn more calories.
    Coffee does not contribute to heart disease as we previously thought.
    Caffeine speeds up your metabolism making it easier for us to burn more calories --- even while at rest.