High protein/low carb meals? Help!

Options
I've been super ravenous the past few days and have been making kinda bad decisions. I work all day, I usually either bring a salad with me or get soup out. I'm thinking my protein intake may be low though, hence the constant hungry feeling. Any snack and/or lunch ideas?

Replies

• Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, eggs, dairy, nuts, fish
    Any of these can go with a salad to make it low carb, very high protein, I was low carbing, still am avoiding bread, rice and pasta type things. These can make you tired, they did make me fall aseep, so just a though X
  • Kalebdylan
    Kalebdylan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    have a low fat cheesestick, some chicken or tuna, or a few nuts with your salad. That should increase the protein and keep you full longer
  • Devild0ll
    Options
    If you're not afraid of cooking: www.thefoodee.com has great recipes! Nuts are a good snack, but not every day. I also do almond butter with berries sometimes. If you have access to a fridge, try boiled eggs. It's hard to get things that have more protein/fat to keep you full, since the current mainstream eating is very high carb. I also like packing some more serious veggies than a salad to snack on... broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, peppers... pretty much any veggie will last fine without a fridge for the day. Bring good olive oil for dipping to add some fullness when you eat them. Unless this goes against your diet, as I'm not sure what your eating plan is.

I like to make a couple of big dishes on the weekend to have them last through the week for lunches/snacks/dinner when I'm too busy. Stew is great, now that it's getting cooler. Roast a chicken, and you'll have leftovers for days to add to salad, make chicken salad with, use for dinner in a stir fry, any number of things.

Good luck!
  • goingdown155
    goingdown155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to stop by the meat department and buy single portions of fish or chicken. Then you can broil it and add some broccoli or other vegetable to mix it up.
    Try making an acorn squash. Just take a big knife and cut it in quarters, microwave in covered dish for 8 minutes. That's a more starchy vegetable that's not too bad on carbs and fills you up.

Try a all bean chili - again filling, something different look on Hungry Girl for the recipe.

I also will make a big pot of vegetable soup and add some lentils, and that helps a lot. Eat 2 rye krisp (only 60 calories) and you're good to go.

Sometimes it's about quantity. So make a plate of lettuce, then mix tuna with some low fat mayo and add some onions, celery and black beans (1/4 cup) That is filling and something different.

Do breakfast for dinner. Scramble some egg substitue, add some light laughing cow cheese, a fruit salad and a piece of toast or one of those bagel thins with a little peanut butter.

Good luck! It's easy to get stuck in a rut
  • cal_73
    Options
    My afternoon "snack" is 4 tablespoons of hemp protein, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and a dropper of stevia.
  • Bats27
    Options
    A spoon full of peanut butter is a great snack. I usually snarf one 20 minutes before I work out. It has protein and is a good filler in between lunch and dinner. Also, keeping a jar around the office is pretty easy.
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I find I need protein at lunchtime not to get hunger rumblings before dinner. I normally bring salad or fibrous veg (which don't need oil based dressing--just some garlic salt or smoked paprika or a sprinkle of sesame seeds for flavour) along with protein for packed lunches. Protein is usually in the form of hard boiled eggs, crab sticks (not clean, but only 12-16 calories a stick), turkey based cold cuts, or small cold 80g pieces of steak or tuna steak, cooked in the morning or the night before..
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    low sodium tuna with sriracha sauce...nom nom nom
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    low sodium tuna with sriracha sauce...nom nom nom

Yum! K these help a lot, thanks guys!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Eat more, you'll be less hungry.
  • _workforit
    Options
    Eggs! Hard-boiled, scrambled, on a sandwhich, or sunny side up - you just can't go wrong.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here and many I use (except eat more), I like non-fat yogurt, low fat cheese sticks, cottage cheese, low carb tortillas and low carb bread thins.

When you are on a calorie deficit you are supposed to feel hunger. It is part of the process. When you have fat reserves you must eat less to use them, it's like paying off a mortgage payment. It's not fun. Once the debt is paid of you have more calories to spend. It's the truth, and once you see it and face it, it's the key to weight loss.
  • mjkOside
    mjkOside Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good protein shake. I am an RN and work 12's. I take a baggie of protein mix, buy a milk, dump it in, shake,, and that really helps. Also do the tupperware with some tuna in it and some crackers...
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    always keep cooked Chicken breast in the freezer.
    I cook up a big batch, either grill them with marinades....or fry with a little seasoning and no breading.....or just bake with a bit of salsa or cream of chicken soup and then freeze them in separate ziploc bags...

thaw one out the night before to take for lunch...., shred it up with your salad,...or get some low carb high fiber tortilla ( from walmart)and make dense but low carb wraps with fresh veggies stuffed in it.

it has really saved me from chowing down on junk food.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I keep some staples at hand for good sources of protein. Some of my go to favorites are greek yogurt (plain with fruit I add in), pistachios, low fat cheese or low fat milk.