Remember Jim Croce

Options
deckerp
deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
On September 20, 1973, the day that his ABC single "I Got a Name" was released, Croce, Muehleisen, and four others were killed in the crash of a chartered Beechcraft E18S upon takeoff from the Natchitoches Regional Airport in Natchitoches, Louisiana.[8] Croce had just completed a concert at Northwestern State University's Prather Coliseum in Natchitoches and was flying to Sherman, Texas, for a concert at Austin College, when the plane crashed about an hour after the end of the concert.

I have a CD and DVD from Jim Croce and an old cassette tape someplace. Great memories of some great music and the times we had while listening to them.

Thanks Jim.
220px-Jim-Croce-r01.jpg

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    One thing my dad instilled in me was a love of Jim Croce's music. Croce's greatest hits was one of the first CD's that I owned, and I used to play "Roller Derby Queen" when I still played music out in bars, locally.

That disc would be on my list of "Must own" albums... if I ever created such a list.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for remembering!

My appreciation of Jim Croce's music started with his 45 "Bad Bad Leroy Brown." Then for Christmas I got his greatest hits "Photographs and Memories" on 8-track. I have since purchased his entire catalog on CD, including his Final Tour and a couple of LIVE DVDs. A great and under appreciated artist...I mean he is NOT even in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! That is a serious omission!

Great, real music!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for remembering!

My appreciation of Jim Croce's music started with his 45 "Bad Bad Leroy Brown"...
    We weren't allowed to cuss in my house as kids so when this song came on we sang it with special emphasis... Baddest man in the while DAMN town... Like we were big and bad...

I love this man :)
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for remembering!

My appreciation of Jim Croce's music started with his 45 "Bad Bad Leroy Brown"...
    We weren't allowed to cuss in my house as kids so when this song came on we sang it with special emphasis... Baddest man in the while DAMN town... Like we were big and bad...

I love this man :)

As a kid, I wasn't certain of the word he used. I think I sang "Baddest man in the whole DOWN town" Or maybe DARN...
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love him....thanks for posting....
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Time in a Bottle. It still brings tears to my eyes. I cried all day the day he died.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I used to have a drama teacher that would play his guitar and sing Bad Leroy Brown at least once a month...it was awesome! I love old music :)
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great musician and songwriter. Left us way to early!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cassette of Photographs and Memories. Later on, I bought a CD of Jim Croce's Greatest Hits. Can't find either of them now. :cry:
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    He was before my time,but I remember as a kid, getting to pick which 8 track was going to get played in the car, and always picking him. Love him to this day. Sad he died so early.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One of my all-time favorite songs is Time in a Bottle. It chokes me up. I absolutely love the purity and beauty of Jim Croce's voice. Thanks for posting this.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My ringtone for my daughter is 'Time In a Bottle'...love his music!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Loads of good memories associated with his music, thank you.
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always loved Jim Croce's music. I keep wishing someone would get smart enough to induct him into R&R's Hall of Fame.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Loved Jim's music. Timeless classics that will never be forgotten. Lots of memories listening to those songs in the 70's!
    :smooched:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I remember Jim Croce - what a great song writer! I think I had an 8-track tape of his! but then I did move on and I think I actually have a CD or 2.

You don't tug on Superman's cape
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim
  • DebbieLOL
    DebbieLOL Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Love Jim Croce's music! I remember the day he died. I bawled my eyes out. What a loss, he was so talented.
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My dad's favorite. I grew up listening to him, :happy:
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Beautiful man, beautiful music....
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a single Jim Croce song that I do not love. I cannot remember a time when he wasn't being played on the radio. Happy memories of a great singer/songwriter.

I know Time in a Bottle is most people's favorite and for good reason. But I really love I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song. What better way to tell someone?