help? 30 day shred?

Options
im starting the 30 day shred tonight =D now until now i based my weight loss on the scales but im starting to wonder if i start working out im going to gain muscle will this affect the scale and should i start using a measuring tape instead?

some advice would b great

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes measure yourself as its very possible you will get a very small weight gain...but you will lose inches :smile:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it, just do it! I love JM videos and I really loved the shred. You will look better and your clothes will fit better. I didn't lose one pound after a year of working out (P90x mostly then I moved on to JM videos) but my body went through drastic changes. I'm finally starting to see the scale move now, but it doesn't matter I already fit back into my jeans. :)
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    thats good im still expecting too loose weight uless the 30 day shred kills me as i am very overweight still .. but i might start measuring and only weighing in once a month instead of weekly for a while
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    just did my first workout .. ouch! totally recomend it !
  • sionnain
    Options
    ugh I totally want to do this, but I don't have any hand weights, and the other things around my house that i could possibly use as a weight are only a few pounds and not enough to make me feel like they're even useful. i can't wait to start though!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    ugh I totally want to do this, but I don't have any hand weights, and the other things around my house that i could possibly use as a weight are only a few pounds and not enough to make me feel like they're even useful. i can't wait to start though!
    Her "kit" comes with 3lb weights. So you don't need a lot with the amount of reps you do. You'll feel it!
  • glad2bjar
    glad2bjar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i say use a measuring tape and the scale. because you are overweight you will lose some pounds. I am overweight and doing JMs 30DS shred now. so yea...
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Do a combination of scale, measurement and photos to see how you progress.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can use tin cans or full up a bottle with some rocks. There is always something around home to use as weights, that is what l had to do until l have money to buy some
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    Her "kit" comes with 3lb weights. So you don't need a lot with the amount of reps you do. You'll feel it!

theres a kit! i ordered both seperate and acidently ordered 3kgweights lol and too tight with money to order more .. oh well ! lol
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, measure yourself right away. I started last week. This morning I finished day 7 of level 1. I am loving it. It's hard though!
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure. I'm almost done and I haven't lost much weight but the inches have definitely been coming off!

@Sionnain I think you'll find that 1-3 lbs will probably suit you just fine starting out. I tried to start with 5lb weights and moved down after the first day or two.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of people seem to find measuring inches rather than pounds more effective with this workout. If you've never really done any strength training your muscles will likely retain water to repair themselves for the first little while which might mean little movement on the scale, but don't be discouraged since it's just water weight!
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    You can use tin cans or full up a bottle with some rocks. There is always something around home to use as weights, that is what l had to do until l have money to buy some

yea i use weight but my dvd is still on the way from amazon so i streamed cause im way to eagar to start !
  • santanna935
    santanna935 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I was doing the 30 day shred I measured every 10 days, I defiantly saw changes. The scale was slow moving tho and when I stopped at @ 20 days my feet hurt really bad for two weeks after. Wear shoes with good support I really wish I would have.
  • Mershon88
    Mershon88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Might sound silly.. but try to use two water bottles (filled) as hand weights. My daughter would use those when working out with me. :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Absolutely--take as many measurements as you want. I was disgusted at my first measurement 49 inch waist, so I didn't do any more. I can say that I'm grateful for the toning that started back in October, because with only 7 more to go til I hit goal weight, I would be quite disgusted again.

Your weight loss will slow down dramatically and remember to listen to your body--it will tell you when it needs more food. I've upped my calorie intake and I'm at about 1/2 pound per week, which isn't a whole lot as compare to the 8 months.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Measure instead of weighing. Scales will lie, measuring doesn't :heart: hehe
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    I want to start the 30 day shred as well. I've heard a lot of people say they didn't lose that much weight, but lost quite a few inches. I'm definitely going to get a measuring tape before I start to track my progress, bc not seeing the scale move would probably discourage me if I had no other way of knowing i was making progress. :)
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

If you have a 5below near you they have cheap hand weights! Targets prices for them aren't bad either.