Give me your best weight loss tips please :)

Options
I have a long way to go, i have been doing things slow and just trying to eat healthy and not to eat when im not hungry. I would love to hear what has worked for you and what your best tips are. I am not following any spacific diet im just kinda making my own up as i go that way i can make it a lifetime change and not something like a crash diet and gain everything back when i stop. Please share what you are doing now or what you have done in the past that has really helped you loose weight, and feel free to share what you have found that is a big DO NOT DO THIS!

Replies

• Squiggs67
    Options
    I gave up wheat and dairy in January (I eat very little of each now) and lost the weight in my mid-section. I have tons more energy plus I bike...alot. Good luck on your journey :)
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    I am counting calories and recording them. I log my exercise also. I joined some of the groups found on MFP site and they are very helpful. Check out the groups and find one that interests you.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat, down to a ketchup packet, be truthful, and log everything. This will have a huge effect. Even on those days were you go over by 2400 calories, log it.
    Cut out beer and soda, just cut it out cold turkey.
    Try to at least walk 30 minutes 3 x's a week...you are guaranteed to see results.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree with log everything- even your binges or,"bad," days. It is huge in keeping you accountable. And it won't leave you saying,"I don't know why I'm not losing weight!" Despite a perfect diary.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It has really helped me to cut out products with added sugar and white flour, got rid of my sweet cravings.
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with log everything- even your binges or,"bad," days. It is huge in keeping you accountable. And it won't leave you saying,"I don't know why I'm not losing weight!" Despite a perfect diary.
    Absolutely agree! Plus when you log everything, you get the message "If everyday were like today, in 5 weeks you'd weigh ___" if it's the same as I am now, or more, then it motivates me to get back on track the next day. I say, "Everyday will not be like today, so I will not weigh that in 5 weeks" and I move on! Whereas before, one bad eating day turned into 2, which turned into a week, which turned into a month and before you know it, I've spent another year eating too much and gaining weight!
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Adopt a new lifestyle, honestly. Knowledge in what you're putting your body is very important and can help you shed the pounds. Any type of diet you choose, you should read up on it to make sure that you're getting the nutrients you need and staying away from stuff that isn't good (extremely refined sugars, trans fats, saturated fats). Aside from that, log all your meals, measure everything out that contains calories or carbohydrates.

Get a food scale too (that's my next purchase) so you can be even more accurate in your measurements :)

Best of luck.
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for me, I had to come to the point of saying, "If I need to log food everyday for the rest of my life, I will. Even if that means I'm 83 and still logging onto myfitnesspal!"
  • kmhamilton6
    kmhamilton6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump

Keep em coming
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    for me its pretty simple: eat clean (no processed foods- except dark chocolate)+drinking lots water+ cardio+ strength= results
    to each their own though
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    drink lots and lots of water.... when you are hungry first try a glasss of water.... water breaks fat and food etc... people often forget how important it is...
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    DRINK WATER

NOTHING THAT COMES PRE-PACKAGED

NO SNACKING

TONS OF VEGETABLES

LOG E V E R Y T H I N G!!!

I've been doing that consistently for three months, and it's worked really well for me, without even hitting the exercise all that hard. :) Good luck!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    use a scale...I'm learning this the hard way. You cant eyeball stuff..and at the end of the day...you think you ate x amount and you actually ate xy and z! :blushing:
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Log everything, drink lots of water and move constantly. FInd time to exercise, no excuses. :)
  • kg8688
    kg8688 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most recently i started eating smaller food portions than i normally would. I started counting my calories religiously and would eat often throughout the day but small "snacks" and drinking nothing but juice, water and milk. Of course I would always allow myself 1 cheat day a week but even this week my " cheat day" i was still under my caloric intake for the day. Honestly just do any type of cardio, walking, running cleaning anything that gets your blood flowing and starts a swet ... following this i have lot 13 pounds and now that im only 4 pounds away from my original goal of 194... im starting to think about going for my original weight i was shooting for of 185... anything is possible just got to keep your focus and determination
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Never net below your BMR!always eat a small deficit.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I didn't do everything at once, but the important things to me looking back and going forward are:

1. Logging everything including gum.
    2. Exercise. Cardio and weights
    3. Staying away from foods other people prepare for me. Canned, restaurant, fast food, frozen etc.
    4. Portion size.

It's been two years now. One day at a time!! and not all at once.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    What?! Don't cut out anything you don't want to cut out!!! Just make it fit your calorie budget. I love good beer and great dark chocolate :) I eat a balanced and clean diet for most of my intake but I certainly fit in the things I love so that I never feel deprived. I rarely ever take a "cheat" day - I don't need to because I'm not cutting things out so I never feel deprived.

Move every day. On your "rest" day, you should still be going for a walk or something where your body is getting a nice gentle exercise. Exercise hard 5-6 days a week. I like to work out hard for 3-4 days, then a "rest" day, and repeat. Cardio & strength to keep your lean body mass up as your fat goes down.

Do it because YOU DESERVE IT! Your mindset needs to be set to that. If you view all of this as a punishment then it'll never work. You are doing something wonderful for yourself! It will make you a better person, better employee, better mother/father/friend/whatever! By putting yourself at the top of your priority list you will be able to take better care of everything and everyone that is important to you.