Give me your best weight loss tips please :)

Options

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    These things helped me to change my eating habits:
    Cutting out sugar, using stevia as a sweetener instead
    Portion control, portion control!
    Try to eat whole foods as much as possible
    oh, when you're looking at the calorie count on something, ONLY EAT 1/2
    and drink lots of water! I try to swig 20 ozs prior to my meals, helps aid digestion as well as fills you up
    and of course, joining MFP - I have found some amazing new role models, tips, recipes and support here!
    BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, I like you eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I work out hard, when it comes to things not so healthy I consume in moderation or work harder when I know I want to indulge such as when I go to the restaurant with my favorite bread and I drink a lot of water. I total have lost 24 pounds but since the most recent weight gain I've dropped 13 pounds. You definitely have to find what works for you but feel free to friend me if you'd like =]
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely, get a food scale. I've been cooking- ugh! (and eating) for years and I was amazed at how inaccurate my estimates of portion sizes were. Also, keep a set of measuring cups and spoons handy so you'll know how much you are really eating.

If you can, give up soda, even the diet varieties. I've substituted flavored sparkling water and think it's very good for zero calories.

Do log everything that you eat. MFP has made me much more aware of what and how much I'm eating. Also, don't give up your all-time favorite foods- just cut down portion size and frequency.

When you go out to eat, immediately draw a line down the center of your plate and know that you will be taking 1/2 half home for tomorrow. Half of a restaurant portion is usually more than satisfying and you know you'll be enjoying the other half for lunch or dinner next day.

Don't give up- and Best of Luck.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    1) don't starve yourself
    2)make sure you are getting enough calories (fat2fitradio.com)
    3) workout with weights
    4)get enough protein
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    waaatch out for sneakyyyyyyy calories!
    like cheese and honey!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    work hard
  • mindy0517
    Options
    For me, just keeping track of what I eat has helped tremendously. When I have a bad day and splurge and actually see how many calories I consumed it makes me want to do better the next day. I also didn't give up things I like (soda, choc. milk) cold turkey. I gradually decreased the amounts I drank day by day (like the little 8 oz cans of soda) and now I can go all day and usually don't even have a craving for it. But if I do, I don't feel guilty. For me, if I don't allow myself to have some things I like every once in awhile then I'll have a huge splurge and get way off track.
  • __Sneakers__
    Options
    Whatever plan/diet you choose to follow. Be consistent.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it.........just find what works for you and something that you can stick with.......you can get overwhelmed with all the advice here......everyone is different.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have found that tracking everything I eat is important. Not only that I have also learned that I need to weigh everything on my food scale, because when I "eyeball" food I always am "off" in the portion. Also if I am eating out in a restaurant I make sure I plan ahead. I research the restaurant's food options and I then track all the rest of my meals that day to accommodate it.

Lastly, I have learned to never stop. There isn't a such thing as a bad meal. As long as you are aware of what you are eating and accountable, it's all good.
  • cleefelty
    cleefelty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm about at the same place you are in weight loss, but here's a few things that I believe have been working for me:

I bought a food scale which has been great at figuring out food portions. This really helped accurately record what I was eating, seriously a *great* purchase.

I weigh myself daily, and only log it if it goes down. For me, it is better than weighing in weekly/bi-weekly only to be unpleasantly surprised if the scale goes up and not down. It's just part of my routine. If it goes up, no worries, but it helps influence better choices when presented a possibly weak moment.

I wear an "old-fashioned" pedometer which is *so* not cool looking, but, it helps me track how many steps a day I take and I LOVE it. I log steps manually under "Check In" --> "Other Measurements" , and added "Steps" to my options.

In addition to calories (and carbs, fats, proteins), I watch sugar and sodium pretty close after looking into the effects of too much of either on your body, and on efforts to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I eat off of children-size/small plates, and use baby spoons when I'm at home. Seems so silly, but effective.

I (heart) seltzer water. It has replaced my Diet Coke addiction. I easily drink more than the 8 glasses a day, especially helpful if I go over my sodium for the day. (The one I drink is sugar- and sodium-free.)

Patience and consistency.

Hope some of that is helpful :)
  • raylynn244
    raylynn244 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can tell you is to keep moving.. literally. I will make a veggie sandwich, cut it in half.. sit down, eat half and get up immedietly and start doing housework. I completely forget about the other half until my next meal time... and Im not hungry and my metobolism wont slow because I did eat so i have calories to burn. The only time I wanna keep eating is when Im sitting or resting. All I wanna do is snack. As long as you keep busy youll eat half the food you did before, i promise. Also, dont deprive yourself of sweets, you may binge later. Just eat little bits after your biggest meal so you'll get your sweet fix and wont binge. That was my problem! Let me know how it goes, and if you hear any other cool advice let me in on it! hanks good luck!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Losing fat anywhere on the body is more to do with a calorie deficit than any particular exercise. With that said the fat will burn off from wherever the body decides. You can not control this and it usually comes off in the reverse order it went on.

To lose "weight" put your calories in a moderate deficit. Notice I said "weight". To make sure the majority of your weight loss comes from "body fat" you will need to do resistance training. Muscle is very expensive to maintain calorie wise. If you do not convince your body that the muscle is necessary it will get rid of it. This can look great on the scale but is terrible for body composition. This site is full of people who reach their weight loss goals and are not happy with the way their bodies look. This is usually do to excessive calorie deficit (from severe dieting or excessive cardio) and no resistance training (lifting relatively heavy weights).

DO NOT WAIT TO START WEIGHTLIFTING!!!!!

And yes ladies this goes for you also. You will not get "bulky" muscles without years of training and a calorie surplus.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Losing fat anywhere on the body is more to do with a calorie deficit than any particular exercise. With that said the fat will burn off from wherever the body decides. You can not control this and it usually comes off in the reverse order it went on.

To lose "weight" put your calories in a moderate deficit. Notice I said "weight". To make sure the majority of your weight loss comes from "body fat" you will need to do resistance training. Muscle is very expensive to maintain calorie wise. If you do not convince your body that the muscle is necessary it will get rid of it. This can look great on the scale but is terrible for body composition. This site is full of people who reach their weight loss goals and are not happy with the way their bodies look. This is usually do to excessive calorie deficit (from severe dieting or excessive cardio) and no resistance training (lifting relatively heavy weights).

DO NOT WAIT TO START WEIGHTLIFTING!!!!!

And yes ladies this goes for you also. You will not get "bulky" muscles without years of training and a calorie surplus.

*Like* And agree.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read "The Big Fat Weight Loss Book"? I got it free for Kindle. The author claims to have found "the secret" to weight loss. There is a short section about the author then the body of the book is 6 words: "Eat less, exercise more. The end". :laugh:
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for me, I had to come to the point of saying, "If I need to log food everyday for the rest of my life, I will. Even if that means I'm 83 and still logging onto myfitnesspal!"

^^Agreed!!!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat on your self! Set realistic goals such as 1 pants size in a month, or 8-10lbs. Every 10 lbs of weight lost, take pictures of yourself in a bathing suit/shorts or underclothes. You will not see changes in yourself until you hit 18-24lbs of weight loss, but the picures don't lie. When you hit a goal, give yourself a happy meal. Notice I said MEAL, not DAY. (Doesn't have to be McDonalds, just a fun and yummy meal that you wouldn't normally eat). Let your *happy* (not cheat) meal be at lunch if possible, that way you have time left to let your body metabolize your *ahem* not so wise meal choice. Then get right back to eating healthy at dinner. Your body will thank you. I do a happy meal for myself every 10 lbs of weight lost, or once every two-three weeks if I'm at maintenance. Cupcakes and Tacos taste 1,000x better when you are enjoying them with 10lbs less of you than if you splurge too early and undo the first 3lbs you lost.

WATER, WATER, WATER!!!!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am not telling you how or what to eat. Not everyone eats like I do, nor does everyone need to. I have health issues and the way I eat has resolved them ALL.

What works best for me is:

1. No grains, legumes, sugar, or artificial sweeteners.
    2. Limit fruit (berries are best).
    3. Eat the healthiest protein you can get (I mean wild or free-range, I don't mean low fat).
    4. Eat the healthiest fats you can get (coconut oil, butter, nut oils (not peanut), animal fat from wild/free range animals). My eating plan is built on fat and I have no difficulty staying under my calorie goal.
    5. Eat the healthiest vegetables you can get (grow your own, farmers markets, organic, avoid the "dirty dozen")
    6. I eat dairy, but it is not necessarily "healthy". Always use full fat dairy and try to get raw/unpasteurized, free range products.
    7. Limit processed foods and prepare your own meals.
    8. Move your body and lift heavy things.
    9. Do lots of research to learn what is really healthy and what works for you. Most modern dietary advice is severely flawed imo, but there are some great sources out there; find them.
    10. Avoid "diet", "low fat" and GMO products. Read labels. We vote for the kind of food we want with our dollars.

Just to be clear: I do not achieve all these things, all of the time. I live in the Arctic so my food choices are very limited. I do the best I can with what I have. I still have improvements to be made such as learning to make my own salad dressings, mayo, etc. I follow the above as guidelines and achieve them to the best of my ability.

I am not deprived and I am not suffering. I am the healthiest and happiest that I have been for years.

Try different things and find a way that works for you! Just keep in mind that being healthy is first and foremost, and the weight loss will follow.