NSV: Quit smoking 388 days ago

Options
I keep lots of stats about it on an excel file:

-saved $501 since quit day (I rolled my own cigarettes [estimate cost was $9 per week])
-saved myself 662 hours of actual smoking (about 2 hours per day)
-avoided about 7,300 additional cigarettes (smoked 19 per day)
-saved about 150 hours of time from not rolling cigarettes (about 2.5 hours per week)
-saved about 14.7 hours per week between rolling cigarettes and smoking them

I smoked cigarettes for 4 months, and kept track of the average total cigarettes. While I was smoking, I averaged 19 a day. Since quit day (lots of zero cigarette entries per day), my total average is down to 5.0 (I like this statistic).

I quit using the nicotine patch. I felt exhilarated to give up the habit. I still feel good about it.

I keep the "What Happens to your body if you stop smoking right now" graphic posted to my office wall. You can find it here:
http://www.salvagente.co.za/ozone-saunas/infographic-on-what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-stop-smoking/

Post here if you've managed to quit your habit! It's just as important as getting to a healthier weight!

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

I am currently battling those damn cancer sticks.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    im one of those people that "can quit anytime" and stay off for a long time but take that one puff and your back...ill prolly stop after i finish this pack i have now. which will take me a looong while. lol
  • omgdinosaurs
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome, and I love how you kept track of all those stats! I quit almost a year ago. I set my official quit date at 10/31/11. I did it cold turkey and it was hard but so worth it! I feel droves healthier and enjoy my workouts much more, being able to breathe an all, haha.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    after 17 years a pack a day (and 52 lbs up since my quit)

Time Smoke-Free: 493 days, 43 minutes and 42 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 8382

Lifetime Saved: 2 months, 4 days

Money Saved: $4,190.50

Congrats and keep the quit going :) Even after 52 lb gain, still best decision of my life
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! This is a huge accomplishment!!! I quit about 6 years ago when I found out i was pregnant with my first son. Both my husband and I quit at the same time and have never gone back. Best decision for ourselves and our children. Love that you tracked the stats!!!
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Big congrats to you, I smoked for 34 years I just quit 7 weeks ago using chantix, no nicotine in them and it takes away the need but not the want.. Sometimes I feel like I will fail, but so far I have been holding pretty strong .. It is a big demon to deal with.. I am a all or nothing so I no I can't even have one drag or I will have a pack a day habit on my hands. Again be super proud of your success and the stats are amazing..

Laurie
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment! I smoked for about 15 years. I quit on 02/01/2004 and haven't had a cigarette since . . . smoke free for 3,155 days. During that time I WOULD have smoked at least 63,100 cigarettes if I had continued at my normal pace of 1 pack a day. Here in Michigan cigarettes cost between $6.50 and $6.75 a pack. I figure that I have managed to save between $15,000 and $20,000 since I quit!! Hmmm . . wonder where all that money went??

I love your stats!! They really put it into perspective!!
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    2 years come Thanksgiving for me. I quit at the same time i started my serious weight loss, knew that i had to combat it wiht something. I was a 1-1/2 to 2 pack a day smoker, basically a chain smoker. Quit about 6 times, gained 20 pounds each time, but never quit longer than 6 months, so this is huge for me, and im never going back!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your success! nonsmokers have no idea the struggles to quit!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you! You beat it!!!
  • jonielena
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I also quit drinking. Now that they weather is getting colder up here, I feel extra good about my decision when I see people hacking down smokes in the freezing wind :P

I remember telling a friend last winter that I'd never be able to quit... so glad I proved myself wrong!

You're stats are great! Congrats again!!!
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Incredible work and logging of your habit! What an inspiring story, not only because of the change you have made, but because you have turned the results of quitting into stats for everyone to understand how this habit consumes your life. Amazing Job!
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is a great victory! Congrats to you! Keep it up. :happy:
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm a quitter! Through a MFP thread about a month ago, I heard of the book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. I've smoked since I was 17 years young and only stopped for pregnancies. This time really was easy! The author knows what he is talking about. He doesn't tell you what you already know. He takes all your excuses and knocks them down, one by one. No, they don't taste good. No, they don't help you concentrate. Etc. Finish the book, smoking while you read, and when you're done with the book, you're done with the smokes. Yes, I think about smoking. But each such thought is followed by, I'm FREE!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to quit. No, you won't gain weight because you won't substitute food for the cigs.

It's been 22 days of Freedom! YES! Fist pump! Yippee!!
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking on June 13, 2009. (If I was better at math, I'd tell you the exact number of days.) Best thing I could have done. Smoked for 43 years and I'm not sure what happened, but I haven't missed it from the day I quit. Could have something to do with being a cheapskate and the price of cigs. Best of luck to you.
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on August 13th, 2011, about 56 weeks ago. I figured I have saved about $8,000. it has been the hardest and most rewarding decision I have ever made! My husband quit on 1/1/12 and it was one of the greatest gift we could give ourselves and our toddler daughter. For everyone who struggles with nicotine addition just remember you are worth trying.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 1 year 2 months and 24 days ago.

I used to smoke about 14 cigarettes a day and paid $7.50 a pack back when I quit.

When I had been quit 10 months I had saved enough to buy an entire bedroom set for my grandson and still have money left over.

My father died of lung cancer. I picked the first anniversary of his death (right down to the time) as my quit date and told myself and everyone who would listen for months in advance that that would be when I quit. I planned things to help and at 630 pm I put out my last cigarette ever!

Last week I finally lost the weight I gained when I quit! Now I'm working on the 100 extra pounds I carried before I quit!
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!!!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    great stats!

59 days for me from half a pack to zero a day, i have lost 8 lbs since my quit day.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations to all of you quitters! :drinker: And to those of you still working on it, you can do it!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!