Student needing help in the kitchen!

Options
I am currently a student, on a student budget.
It would be much appreciated if you could all send me some simple,
easy and most of all healthy recipes that could fit into a fairly small budget?

:D

Replies

• amp187
    amp187 Posts: 374
    Options
    I really recommend just buying chicken breasts for cheap in bulk, and tons of cheap frozen veggies. Takes max 20 minutes to go from frozen to a ready dinner. It's healthy, fresh, and if you season it correctly, delicious.

All you have to do is defrost the chicken. Season it to taste, I tend to use a lot of Tony Chachere's throw it on a skillet, med-high heat maybe 5 mins each side. Steam the veggies while you're cooking and you're done in no time.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the recipes on here? There are a lot of good ones to choose from. You might look through and see what fits your budget. And the calories are already figured and ready to be logged to boot!
  • jonielena
    Options
    I'm a student too! On a ridiculously tight budget! I make lots of soups - they freeze well, are super easy to make, and one big batch will feed me for about a month. I also make lots of curries and sauces for the same reasons. Every Sunday night I thaw a mason jar of soup and a mason jar of curry to use for the week. Soup for lunch, curry w/ brown rice (which I also make on Sundays) and some chopped veggies for dinner. Easy and cheap! Anything you can make in bulk and freeze is a lifesaver if you're a student. Especially because if you're extra tight on money one week and can't afford groceries (happens to me a LOT), you'll have back-up food in the freezer.

If you're just starting out in the kitchen, you might have to make a small investment in "kitchen essentials" such as spices, oils, etc. The good thing is that once you have all of the essentials, you won't have to spend much on groceries each week. I spend, on average, about $25-$30/week on food, and that's here in Toronto where food costs are verrry high.

I've posted a lot of my recipes on my profile. Feel free to add me as a friend to check them out! If you can't find them, send me a message and I'll send them to you directly :)

:)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am currently a student, on a student budget.
    It would be much appreciated if you could all send me some simple,
    easy and most of all healthy recipes that could fit into a fairly small budget?

:D

leanbodylifestyle on youtube has great recipes that are healthy and lately he has been making some for college students.
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :)
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans (not canned stuff), veggies, brown rice, lots of spices & herbs, tomatoes, salad stuff, seafood (can be not too expensive depending on what you buy and good for your brain)....

I'm a student and these are my staples. You can come up with so many dishes from all these and all are cheap and super healthy.
  • alexahalvorsen
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It has been a lot of help! :D<3
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Sam's Club... (we don't have Costco here)- a membership is $40 (but you get TWO for that so find a friend and go in on it together).

Bulk chicken breasts $1.77/lb usually $9-$11 per package
    They have all kinds of other cheap staples too but that's my big one.

Shop ads online for local grocery stores, make a list, and go once a week or every other week.

See if there's a local farmer's market (a lot of towns/cities have them on Saturdays) or a produce market. You can often source fresh, local, and in season fruits nad veggies here for less.

These are the tools I use to this day...