Do you see your weight loss in the mirror?

Options
One the hardest things for me is seeing myself getting smaller in the mirror. I know I am getting thinner because my clothes are getting loose and the number on the scale is less. I could use some advice.

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can't usually see it either, but I take pictures (in the mirror) every month and I can definitely see it in those. Take a front and side shot every month or so and you will definitely see the changes. I am amazed at how much difference even a five pound loss makes (I have a lot to lose, and am losing about 5 pounds a month).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Pictures really help. I can see it now, but sometimes I truly forget how far I've come.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Honestly?
    I can't see it much in the mirror. I can see it a LOT when I compare pictures.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No I don't. But I have a long way to go so it's not shocking. I try to avoid dwelling on if I look smaller or if I weigh less. Never got me anywhere in the past but frustrated.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I'm the same way. I couldn't tell and still can't now. I keep seeing myself as the same size I was before. Looking at old pictures and now pictures has the been the easiest way for me to tell. I can tell a huge difference when looking at the pictures. I think the reason is because we look in the mirror all the time and it's hard to tell differences on a daily basis.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    The self-timer in your camera is your best friend. I would never be able to tell changes in my body without pictures.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    As I read all of these....man, how sad! Why can't we see what's in front of us? Though I suppose, I couldn't see it when I was heavier either. Pictures made me so sad because I didn't see myself that way LOL.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who can't understand how I don't see it. It is comforting to know I am not alone.
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't ever see it in the mirror... I have people take pictures for me so I can see it ... since I don't have a full length mirror... but even the ones when I'm out I wouldn't see it..
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do but most of the time I dont :( It's a difficult thing to experience but I just keep working at it, I knew going into this that I would have to work on my mind as much if not more than my body.
  • Montegue42
    Options
    I wish I could see it as other people see it, since they comment on it. Even people who don't know I'm doing this but....I hope that maybe once I get down to what I want, that will change.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    you dont see it in the mirror cause you see yourself every day. As most have said, pictures are the way to go-pictures wont lie to you.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I do now, but it took me getting past the halfway point to really notice! I just posted on my profile the other day that I looked in the mirror and smiled, thinking of what the heavier version of me would think of the healthier version of me! It's fun noticing changes in the mirror. I noticed that my legs are looking more muscular than they had in years!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    No, in my eyes nothing has changed.

even though I have lost a lot.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Only see it in the clothes and not the mirror :0(
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    One of the leaders in my support group said it takes our brain approx 3 years to catch up to reality. She said that is why people sometimes gain a lot of weight, they don't see it that way either.

I'm just now seeing it, but it's been 2 years. I still have 40 lbs to go if I follow the BMI chart, but I leave it up to my husband to tell me if I'm getting too thin. My new profile pic is his favorite so far.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't see it in pics either. Beginning to think I have some kind of body image disorder. The only difference I notice are bones (hip and shoulder, especially) becoming more prominent.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I can! I'm 13.2 lbs or 6kg down. I think it's mainly because most of the weight has come off my biggest part which is my hip and lower tummy. It's really obvious in the way my clothes sit, ok I have a FUPA but whatever lol, particularly in jeans and skirts.
    Anywhere else is a slight mystery to me...
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to see it in the mirror. My clothes are my guide.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds in a month and no I don't notice the changes yet. However, I am liking looking at the graph on this website that shows my progress whenever I feel down. It helps me see how my work is paying off