calorie allowance

As I lose weight, will my daily calorie allowance decrease accordingly? I'm currently 210.8 lbs. and allowed 1,460 calories a day. My goal is 170.

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    If you keep the same exercise routine yes It will change some not massive amounts though. But lots of people feel like working out more as they lose weight.

However I don't think the MFP calories change as you update you weight that may be a manual process you do every 10-15 pounds or so.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    MFP does auto updates when your stats change enough that it thinks it should.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Just remember that exercise adds to your calories....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    If you add lean muscle youll eventually be adding cals.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Actually, once you start doing more exercise, you can increase your calorie intake every time you lose 5 pounds. Here's the website that will help you figure out your calories you should be eating right now in order to lose weight -- http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I use it now, and I know that it's working. :) Good luck!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 406 Member
    Actually, once you start doing more exercise, you can increase your calorie intake every time you lose 5 pounds. Here's the website that will help you figure out your calories you should be eating right now in order to lose weight -- http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So - not to drag up a nasty little debate - I like the site and the calculations - plugged in my info based on wanting to lose, and that I do 1-3 hours per week of activity and it says to eat 1828 calories. So, I am assuming that means I do NOT eat back my exercise calories (unless I were to go over that 3 hours.... otherwise, it is already calculated in..... right?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

So - not to drag up a nasty little debate - I like the site and the calculations - plugged in my info based on wanting to lose, and that I do 1-3 hours per week of activity and it says to eat 1828 calories. So, I am assuming that means I do NOT eat back my exercise calories (unless I were to go over that 3 hours.... otherwise, it is already calculated in..... right?
    Anything that takes your exercise into consideration, usually accounts for it in the daily goal rather than slapping it on after.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Basic summary:

You choose your activity level and that adds a multiplier to the base calorie allowance of someone who is sedentary.
    Your goals for exercise are not added into your calorie allowance. That's a TIME goal not a calorie count and there is not enough information to add calories for.
    Your logged exercise is on top of your base allowance and are added in.

So if you say you are sedentary and log your exercise, you get a fixed level of calories plus what you earn from exercise NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SAID IN YOUR GOALS YOU WERE GOING TO EXERCISE.

If you say you are moderately active, it multiplies your base calories up a bit and you still log your exercise and eat that back.

BTW, MFP is erratic on how it adjusts your calories as you lose weight. If you lose in small increments it may not adjust. You may want to enter it manually in your goals and recalculate to make sure it has done it.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member

Which part of the profile are you talking about?

If you mean
    [/quote]How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)[/quote]
    The calories from those activities are already included.

If you mean
    How many times a week do you plan on exercising?
    That doesn't enter into your calories calculations. They wait for you to actually log your exercise sessions, and then they'll add back calories to eat. So you should eat those when they pop up on your food tab i.e.
    "You have earned 450 extra calories from exercise today"
  • MFP does auto updates when your stats change enough that it thinks it should.

ok, that makes sense. thanks!