What shoes to buy?

Options
I'm training for a 5k and mostly run on gravel roads on our farm. Sometimes I run down a field road that is just mud and grass. I'm in need of new shoes and was thinking that I might need trail running shoes, but I'm not sure. All the 5ks that I plan on doing..LOL.. will be on roads-- what do you guys suggest?

Replies

• KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Running in grass with regular running shoes is not a problem. Running on the gravel road depends on the size of the gravel. Several miles of the Topeka Half Marathon were on gravel roads with small to medium size gravel and I had no problem in my regular running shoes.

I'm a big supporter of your local running store. If you train with a group you'll probably find they have a discount code for the local running store.

I find it incredibly helpful to talk to somebody who knows the product that can bring out a big stack of shoes to try on. I'm not talking the store at the mall with the teenage staff. I'm talking about the specialty running store with a few grey haired worker/owners. ;-)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm a big supporter of your local running store. If you train with a group you'll probably find they have a discount code for the local running store.

I find it incredibly helpful to talk to somebody who knows the product that can bring out a big stack of shoes to try on. I'm not talking the store at the mall with the teenage staff. I'm talking about the specialty running store with a few grey haired worker/owners. ;-)

THIS!!!
  • aquababy26
    Options
    Brooks Glycerin 9's. Best shoes ever. Very supportive and correct your feet if you tend to walk / run on the inside or outside of your feet. Asics are also good shoes, my husband swears by them, but my pair hurt my feet and I find the Brooks way more comfortable.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Brooks Glycerin 9's. Best shoes ever. Very supportive and correct your feet if you tend to walk / run on the inside or outside of your feet. Asics are also good shoes, my husband swears by them, but my pair hurt my feet and I find the Brooks way more comfortable.

You really don't want to recommend a brand and style in threads like this for the exact reason that your husband's favorite shoes hurt your feet. People's strides and gaits are different, and what works for one person may not work for someone else. Best bet is to go to a specialty running store as recommended above and get them to help you. A gait analysis combined with a description of the terrain you run on should get a selection of shoes to try on and find the most comfortable for you.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ditto KCRunnerSteve! :smile:

Find a running shoe store!!!! Your body will thank you later! Be sure to take in your old shoes so they can look at the way your feet move/rotate.