I can't stand when

Options
people who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism use it as an excuse to not lose weight, or say they're unable. I am living proof you can do it.

I went undiagnosed with it for over 4 years. I know this now because about 4 1/2 years ago I got blood work and the doctor who ordered it never told my doctor about it and what the results were. Nothing was done for over 4 damn years.

About 8 or so months ago now, I went in demanding they find out what was going on with me. I was constantly fatigued, just plain beyond exhausted, depressed, and of course FAT!! No matter what I did to lose weight before, I gained, gained, gained.

Bottom line, if you're on your medication and take it the way you're supposed to, there's absolutely no reason you cannot lose the weight. None. Yes, it might be slower than someone who's not hypo, but it IS possible. Stop making excuses for yourself and get to it!!

Rant over!!!

Replies

• jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I like you, a lot. Keep rocking this, and show hypo who's boss!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am also proof that it is possible.... of course, I had to keep trying for a couple years to see some success.

Working out and eating right are worth doing regardless of if you lose weight. If you give up and eat like crap and sleep irregular hours, it only gets worse. Get off the couch, get a workout routine, and eat right.

It's not as easy as the rest of the population, but it is possible.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I am also proof that it is possible.... of course, I had to keep trying for a couple years to see some success.

Working out and eating right are worth doing regardless of if you lose weight. If you give up and eat like crap and sleep irregular hours, it only gets worse. Get off the couch, get a workout routine, and eat right.

It's not as easy as the rest of the population, but it is possible.

Yep, it's definitely not easy, but it's possible!! I'm also VERY slow at losing because of my insomnia and PTSD causing me to wake up from panic attacks pretty much every night. I know if I got decent sleep, I would lose even more. But I'm just sick of all these posts with excuse after excuse!!
  • AmyFett
    Options
    Also, if it's something you want, you won't give up no matter how long it takes =)
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As long as it is under control, it should be fine. However, there are a lot of people out there who have been diagnosed, are on medications, have tried various doses and their thyroid is still not regulated. I think the key point is that if you have hypothyroidism, it your weight should be easier to manage, as long as your TSH levels are consistently within normal range. Unfortunatly, for a lot of people with thyroid disease, it isnt' always as just a simple pill.
  • AmyFett
    Options
    It kind of is though. There's different medications, different ways to 'fix' the imbalance. A lot of times it's people just making excuses, or not taking their medication as directed.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As long as it is under control, it should be fine. However, there are a lot of people out there who have been diagnosed, are on medications, have tried various doses and their thyroid is still not regulated. I think the key point is that if you have hypothyroidism, it your weight should be easier to manage, as long as your TSH levels are consistently within normal range.

^^ This

Also hypo people may have other health issues. I also agree with you that it is tough to lose weight. I am have Hashimotos and my levels are crazy and haven't been regulated yet. I eat healthy and exercise. So far, I have lost 7lbs in a little over 2 months. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I am working with my doc and he sees what I eat and how much I exercise. Most people who weigh as much as me lose a lot faster. On one hand it gets very discouraging; on the other, I pay no attention because I know I am different. I suggest you walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you start hating on people.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people will use every excuse possible to justify their inability to lose weight. It's true consistent healthy eating and exercise does not discriminate it works for everyone you just have to put in the work!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I think you're using your own anecdotal evidence and missing a big problem with people with legit endocrine problems: it's VERY hard for many to be medicated correctly. Many also don't say it's impossible--it just seems impossible because of how much slower and harder it is then "normal" people.

Sorry, but I'd say you're lucky to have had your levels stabilize so well on your medicine and dose. Many of us try to battle weight while also trying to battle the issue itself. All you have to do is read a few of the posts on the thyroid boards on here to see that there are more people who haven't put on a "good dose" yet, let alone a good drug.

And, if you truly deal with thyroid issues, then you know there's the added detriment of thyroid blood chemistry needing AT LEAST three months to show huge differences, longer for other organs to catch up.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I agree. There are very few legit excuses.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It kind of is though. There's different medications, different ways to 'fix' the imbalance. A lot of times it's people just making excuses, or not taking their medication as directed.

Lol, despite your awesome avatar, you are making me borderline-rage. Do some people use it as an excuse? Yeah, the people I see who say, "Well, my doctor said my levels are normal" or "I haven't actually been to the doctor" makes me raise eyebrows rather than nod sympathetically.

Not everyone has it where things magically come together. Some of us actually lack the organ, some of don't GAIN weight but have trouble LOSING it, and some of us, etc.

And goddamn, "most people not taking it correctly." Are you serious? What a sweeping generalization that I'm sure you have NO statistics for. This is like thyroid-victim-blaming. "Well, *I* didn't have that issue, so everyone else must be whining."

Thanks for putting this on one of the main forums, so you can continue the stereotype of "Oh, thyroid is just an excuse."
  • SLE0803
    Options

Lol, despite your awesome avatar, you are making me borderline-rage. Do some people use it as an excuse? Yeah, the people I see who say, "Well, my doctor said my levels are normal" or "I haven't actually been to the doctor" makes me raise eyebrows rather than nod sympathetically.

Not everyone has it where things magically come together. Some of us actually lack the organ, some of don't GAIN weight but have trouble LOSING it, and some of us, etc.

And goddamn, "most people not taking it correctly." Are you serious? What a sweeping generalization that I'm sure you have NO statistics for. This is like thyroid-victim-blaming. "Well, *I* didn't have that issue, so everyone else must be whining."

Thanks for putting this on one of the main forums, so you can continue the stereotype of "Oh, thyroid is just an excuse."

Amen, Sister! My thoughts exactly!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I think a lot of people who are overweight or obese have got issues that they have to come to terms with or get resolved before they can actually lose weight and keep it off.

Some people need medical help of one form or another (I happened to need effective pain management) before they can change their lifestyle. Some people need to do psychological work; they have to unpick food from love, learn other ways to manage their emotions that aren't eating, or deal with deep traumas around food period. (I had to come to terms with part of my personality that was a starving fourteen year old girl who wanted to eat the universe.)

And those are things that people have to be able to do. Medical care in the USA takes money. Eating in ways that do not aggravate food intolerances is more expensive, too. And no one can deal with a psychological issue on a given timetable.

I've known I was overweight since I was twelve. I've known it would be medically advisable for pain management to lose weight since I was 23. I was able to start doing so when I was forty. I had a few things to work through first.

But I feel that working through them has made it more likely that I have left behind an obesigenic lifestyle, and that's what I want.
  • AmyFett
    Options
    I think you're using your own anecdotal evidence and missing a big problem with people with legit endocrine problems: it's VERY hard for many to be medicated correctly. Many also don't say it's impossible--it just seems impossible because of how much slower and harder it is then "normal" people.

Sorry, but I'd say you're lucky to have had your levels stabilize so well on your medicine and dose. Many of us try to battle weight while also trying to battle the issue itself. All you have to do is read a few of the posts on the thyroid boards on here to see that there are more people who haven't put on a "good dose" yet, let alone a good drug.

And, if you truly deal with thyroid issues, then you know there's the added detriment of thyroid blood chemistry needing AT LEAST three months to show huge differences, longer for other organs to catch up.

Lucky? No. Lucky would be NOT having to deal with this. Not being shaky to the point where I can't do much of anything with my hands. Lucky would be having my hair NOT fall out for months after starting this medication. It took months for the medicine to properly get in my system. I gave it about 5 months or so before trying AGAIN to lose weight.

Anyway, the point of this was, it IS possible and people need to be thankful they caught the problem and are working to fix it. Why would I make up the fact that I'm dealing with thyroid issues?
  • AmyFett
    Options

No problem =)

Many people do use it as an excuse. I know others with this who don't take the medicine every single day, who don't take it when they're supposed to. That's what I don't feel bad for. You know you have an issue, you're not doing what you need to to properly treat it, but then you complain?

It's not an excuse! People with worse diseases lose weight and don't give up. They fight through and don't give up. There's really not much different between someone not having a thyroid and someone whose thyroid just doesn't work.

I know people won't agree with my post, but I really don't care about that, or I wouldn't have posted in the first place :bigsmile:
  • SLE0803
    Options

No problem =)

Many people do use it as an excuse. I know others with this who don't take the medicine every single day, who don't take it when they're supposed to. That's what I don't feel bad for. You know you have an issue, you're not doing what you need to to properly treat it, but then you complain?

It's not an excuse! People with worse diseases lose weight and don't give up. They fight through and don't give up. There's really not much different between someone not having a thyroid and someone whose thyroid just doesn't work.

I know people won't agree with my post, but I really don't care about that, or I wouldn't have posted in the first place :bigsmile:

Oh....now I understand...you are just trolling, trying to cause drama.

TROLL ALERT
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your attitude, you may be able to help me. I have a dear friend who is on Thyroxine and weighs 245lbs, she has arthritis in her knees and finds it very difficult some days to keep up with her 3 young'uns. Ive tried to coax her into living healthier (not just for her own health but because she is my best friend, I want her around for a long time yet!) but she always loses interest when she doesnt see instant results. I know she is unhappy with herself and I just want her to happy and healthy. Is there anything I can try without either hurting her feelings or making her feel worse?
    You have done SO well and I know its attitude that gets you there in the end :smile:
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Proof here too! I used to roll my eyes at people who gave the "It's my thyroid" excuse. Then when it happened to me I saw how hard it was BUT as you said IT CAN BE DONE!
  • brealschaff
    Options
    Sure it can be done, but losing weight is hard enough on its own. And thyroid is often combined with something else that needs to be taken care of .... I know people use it as an excuse, people have a lot of excuses, and so do you. It's not anyone's place to judge someone's lack of motivation, because at one point you were right there with them.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I kept hoping that the doctor would diagnose me as hypothyroid and prescribe thyroxine and the weight would just pour off - never did happen <pout>