wich comes first, cario or strenght?

Options
I know your not supposed to work both at the same time, but I also know that with a full time job, 2 kids to raise, 1 wife to love and cuddle, 3 TKD class a week...it's not always possible to separate the cardio and strenght workouts...

I also know that you're supposed to do one before the other...I just dont remember the order! lol

Thank You!
God Bless!

Replies

• pdxrunner
    pdxrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is a steadfast rule so the best advice is to do what works best for your body. I do cardio and weights in the same day at least once a week but, for me, I have to do cardio first or I will be too wiped out from the weights to really give it my all especially since my cardio usually involves running. When I do cardio first I don't feel like any part of my body is fatigued to the max like it can get after a tough weight session. Like I said, that's just me, so do what is most comfortable for you.:smile:
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Personally, given my goals, I do strength training first. After lifting I will do some high intensity interval training for cardio. That is because I want to be as fresh as possible when I'm tryin gto lift and build muscle mass. If I were to run hard at first, my lifts would suffer. However, on days that I am not lifting at all, I try to do some slow jogging for a short distance... Usually 5k to 10k at an 8min to 9min mile pace.

For people first starting out and for those working on general fitness, it really won't matter what you do first. Whatever you are more comfortable with or whatever fits into your schedule.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is what you are looking for. 20 minutes, it's a strength and cardio circuit, you can probably find it free on OnDemand, and it's a GREAT workout!!! I highly recommend it.
  • paddymc
    paddymc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been told to do one third of your cardio workout first to get yourself good and warmed up, do the weights then go back to finish up a hard 30 minutes of cardio. Not to be done 5 days a week like this but if you must do both, its a safe formula.

Paddy
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I would suggest warming up, with say 10 minutes of cardio, to loosen up your muscles before doing strength training. Jumping jacks, elliptical, whatever - but to prevent injury I would definitely warm the body and get your heart pumping before straining your body. :)

There are some types of training called circuit training (which Jillian Michaels does), where you do cardio, strength, abdominals, and repeat (example of Jillian's schedule). It's really up to how you feel. :smile:

In my Boot Camp class we do a mixture of cardio and strength. The instructor changes it up since his goal is to make us as sore as possible the next day - it works too! I have been sore every time. :laugh:
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Up to you I'd say, unlesse you lift really eavy weights or do high intensity interval training.

Really heavy weights - I'd start with that after stretching/warming up simply to be fresh and strong, so you avoid injuring yourself.

HIIT - You always finish with that, because you definitely need to refuel after a HIIT.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've done both ways. I've found that I personally have more energy for weight lifting when I do cardio first. I do a 30 minute cardio before weights sometimes.
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to always do 8 to 10 minutes of light cardio before any strength training. This gets your heart pumping and increases blood flow to the muscles. Light stretching is also a good idea after that pre training cardio.

Good luck getting back to running. I began running very late in life and wish I had gotten out there and tried it sooner.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The advice I've got is do the most difficult part first, so that you aren't tired out and can do it in good form. For me that means strength training first. I usually start with a 10-minute cardio warmup, though.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get on the tredmill for about 5-7 minutes at 3.5 speed before lifting weights. Then I'll do cardio.

I just find it disgusting when people soaked in sweat use the weights.