Soup Recipes

Options
Hi yall! I'm looking for Soup recipes that I can make in bulk and freeze. Any suggestions?

Replies

• skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So this is technically a soup recipe but I simmer it down to a thicker consistency because I like it better that way and it's a little more filling.

Ingredients:-

* 1 x whole eggplant
    * 4 x small carrots (or 3 large it's up to you)
    * 1 x onion
    * 4 x tomatoes
    * 3 x garlic cloves (I use 3 teaspoons of minced garlic, saves me chopping)
    * 1/2 bag of red lentils (I buy the small Mackenzie brand bags, you can get them in any supermarket)
    * 2L vegetable stock
    * 1/4 cup brown rice or to taste (the quick cups sunrice brand is really convenient)

Method:-

1. Place 1/2bag of lentils in a bowl and cover with water, leave until other preparations are complete and then drain.
    2. Dice all vegetables into small squares, or if you have a food processor put them in there until they're pretty mashed (way faster).
    3. Place eggplant first into a pot with 1 tbsp oil, cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
    4. Add remainder of the vegetables to the pot and cook until they are soft and able to be almost mashed.
    5. Add lentils and stock to pot, stir through.
    6. Leave to simmer until reduced to a thick chunky paste.
    7. Take off stove and serve immediately or use for lunches, add brown rice before serving.

This recipe makes about 20 servings, if I halve it I get around 6 servings of 218g which I put in containers and heat up during the week to have for lunch. I usually heat for about 1min 30sec in the microwave with the rice mixed in. Obviously you can adjust it the recipe and add more vegetables that you like etc. but it doesn't taste overly tomatoey or anything and mashing the vegetables/cutting them up small helps to create a better texture.
  • tina_renee
    tina_renee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow and I'm going to give this a try. I really appreciate!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    LOVE this recipe that I found after the first time I had the Zuppa Toscano from Olive Garden. Freezes well too.

http://restaurant.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298

Also, I love chicken posole...lovely chicken soup with Mexican spices and hominy so it is very filling. Here is the recipe I use, but if you are going to freexe it, I would suggest making it without the hominy and freezing it and then adding the hominy as you warm it up. Good luck!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mexican-chicken-pozole-verde