protein bars

Options
I tried a Med-RX bar today and it seemed very chalky. I was told to try the Adkins Chocolate chip and the Atkins Chocolate Hazelnut . I was told NOT to try the Power Bar Caramel Peanut Fusion. Tell me what protein bars you prefer please.

Replies

• KarleeS92
    KarleeS92 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    have you tried making them yourself? this is a clean protein bar recipe. you can make and freeze them :) I haven't tried them yet, but will be!

Chocolate Protein Bars

Ingredients:
    1 cup Oat Flour
    4 Egg Whites
    2 scoops high quality clean protein powder
    ½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
    ½ tsp Baking Soda
    ¼ tsp Salt
    8oz Berry flavored Baby Food
    3 tbsp Baking Cocoa
    4oz Water

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix dry ingredients (oat flower, protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa) together in a large bowl.
    Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, Berry flavored Baby Food,Water) together in a medium sized bowl.
    Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
    Spray cooking dish with a non stick butter spray and add batter to dish.
    Bake 20-30 minutes in oven.
    Makes 16 squares, serving size=2 bars.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    interesting. Thanks for the recipe!
  • KarleeS92
    Options
    no worries :) hope they taste yummy :)
  • 2012kodagirl
    Options
    My son (18yrs) and I have been eating Quest protein bars and they are fairly clean and have a large selection of flavours.. About 160 to 200 Cal's depending on flavour. We ordered ours direct online. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • cragen01
    cragen01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had never thought about making my own bars before. I might have to give that a try since they are so expensive.
  • KarleeS92
    Options
    apparently end up costing roughly 50cents per bar :)
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    what protein powder do you use? do you have to use splenda/truvia?
  • chanson104
    Options
    Bump for the recipe. Sounds great!!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    maximuscle promax meal bars (dark choc, dark orange choc, dark cherry choc, cookie dough & blueberry smoothie)!

Also "rego" from SIS for recovery!

the rego is when I'm at home after circuits, the MRPs are when I'm out and about, clean, easy and like a treat!

do try and check there are no trans-fats or hydrogenated fats in your bars and check your powders are pure whey,
    my friend used some bars that had a high proportion of HFCS, not good.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    have you tried making them yourself? this is a clean protein bar recipe. you can make and freeze them :) I haven't tried them yet, but will be!

Chocolate Protein Bars

Ingredients:
    1 cup Oat Flour
    4 Egg Whites
    2 scoops high quality clean protein powder
    ½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
    ½ tsp Baking Soda
    ¼ tsp Salt
    8oz Berry flavored Baby Food
    3 tbsp Baking Cocoa
    4oz Water

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix dry ingredients (oat flower, protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa) together in a large bowl.
    Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, Berry flavored Baby Food,Water) together in a medium sized bowl.
    Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
    Spray cooking dish with a non stick butter spray and add batter to dish.
    Bake 20-30 minutes in oven.
    Makes 16 squares, serving size=2 bars.

now I'm interested! you got me surfing!!!!

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/supplements/do-it-yourself-protein-bars

http://fatlossschool.com/how-to-make-your-own-whey-protein-bars/

http://paleohacks.com/questions/88760/how-to-make-a-protein-bar-and-does-it-have-to-be-refrigerated#axzz27U5pX0PM

http://www.180nutrition.com.au/2012/09/14/paleo-recipes-the-best-homemade-protein-supplement-bars-or-balls-in-under-5min/
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    All the balance bars are yummy! Only about 14 grams of protein BUT they actually taste good!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    All time favorite is Detour! Low carb & only like 2 g of sugar. Pure Protein is a runner-up (also lower sugar). I cannot attest to the taste because I'm so used to them and I choose based on macros. My friends think they are gross. HOWEVER, I only really eat these if I'm crunched for time. I find it's much healthier & more satisfying to eat real food or a Whey shake.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars. Most of their bars have around 2-3g of sugar and 20 grams of protein. The taste is pretty good,also. As far as Met-Rx,there's only a couple flavors that are decent tasting,the majority aren't all that great IMO. My two personal favorites are Clif Bars and Promax Bars. These two bars are delicious and if you didn't know any better ,you wouldn't think they were protein bars at all. The amount of sugar is alot higher than the pure protein bars, but the taste is worth it.