30 day shred - what size weights??

Options
Hi everyone and happy Friday!
I'd never ever heard of the 30 day shred or Jillian Michaels before MFP (I'm from the UK and she's not really known here). Now that I've heard everyone raving about it, I've purchased the 30 day shred DVD from Amazon. I want to be fully prepared so I can get to it as soon as it arrives. So what size weights have people been using when doing the DVD? I've heard it's intense and people have been using lighter weights with this DVD than they have done with other workouts?
Also, besides the weights, is there any other equipment I need to buy to do the workout?

Replies

• vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Weights are the only thing you need! :) I usually use 1.5kg and only use 2kg for back exercises since I don't feel the burn :P
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'd never ever heard of the 30 day shred or Jillian Michaels before MFP (I'm from the UK and she's not really known here). Now that I've heard everyone raving about it, I've purchased the 30 day shred DVD from Amazon. I want to be fully prepared so I can get to it as soon as it arrives. So what size weights have people been using when doing the DVD? I've heard it's intense and people have been using lighter weights with this DVD than they have done with other workouts?
    Also, besides the weights, is there any other equipment I need to buy to do the workout?

I have also just ordered the dvd and hoping to receive them in the post today! Will keep you updated on my progress.....
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Last time I used 2 kg weights, next round I would use 3 kg for some excercises.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have only done Level 1 so far and use 2kg weights......they seem fine for me!

Good luck and enjoy!

Edit to say I use an exercise mat too because I find the wooden floors too hard!
  • carolbaker000
    carolbaker000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I would thoroughly recommend Jillian's workouts...although I tend to turn her sound off after I'm used to the circuits.
    I've seen her on the TV loads in the UK - surprised you've managed to avoid her.
    I just use 1kg hand weights and find this is enough to feel a difference.

Its really great to join a group of MFP'ers that embark on the program at the same time.
    I've found that helps to keep up the motivation.

I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing the quick results. Stay motivated and let everyone know how you find it.
    Cheers
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Hello.

I would thoroughly recommend Jillian's workouts...although I tend to turn her sound off after I'm used to the circuits.
    I've seen her on the TV loads in the UK - surprised you've managed to avoid her.
    I just use 1kg hand weights and find this is enough to feel a difference.

Its really great to join a group of MFP'ers that embark on the program at the same time.
    I've found that helps to keep up the motivation.

I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing the quick results. Stay motivated and let everyone know how you find it.
    Cheers

How on earth have I not heard about her?! I'm usually the first to try any fitness craze! This one has passed me by but I'm pleased I've found out about it now! Thanks!
  • Lisamar74
    Options

I have also just ordered the dvd and hoping to receive them in the post today! Will keep you updated on my progress.....

I don't think mine will arrive next week (just ordered it on the free 3-5 day delivery). But we'll be starting at roughly the same time so we can compare notes! Good luck!
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Think 2kg is the general concensus! I'll go and get some of those today. Excited to start my 30 day shred and couple it with as much clean eating as possible. Going to take my 'before' photos this weekend.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No No No NO NO!.... (Sorry for the overreaction)

If your looking to build strength than you want to use a weight that you can lift comfortably to complete 12-15 repetitions without loosing form, this could be 1kg, 2kg or 5kg... I did Ripped in 30 (a good light start for me) twice over and on the second round i was using 10kg weights and i am in no way built (largely down to my neglecting strength triaining whilst dieting! ooops)

Choose the weight which is right for you! Not what everyone else used! I'd sugges you get some small adjustable dumbells from Argos to use so you can build up as you like. I think they do a low interval chrome set for like £20.

PS.... you dont have to buy her DVD's if you want to save money! There all on youtube.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Jillian rocks.

I didn't get through a whole round of 30DS as I fell pregnant but I was using 2kg weights. Perhaps start off light at first & increase if you feel the need?

Enjoy :drinker:
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    No No No NO NO!.... (Sorry for the overreaction)

If your looking to build strength than you want to use a weight that you can lift comfortably to complete 12-15 repetitions without loosing form, this could be 1kg, 2kg or 5kg... I did Ripped in 30 (a good light start for me) twice over and on the second round i was using 10kg weights and i am in no way built (largely down to my neglecting strength triaining whilst dieting! ooops)

Choose the weight which is right for you! Not what everyone else used! I'd sugges you get some small adjustable dumbells from Argos to use so you can build up as you like. I think they do a low interval chrome set for like £20.

PS.... you dont have to buy her DVD's if you want to save money! There all on youtube.

Thanks for the advice!, I used to have a set of 5kg chrome weights and found them difficult when doing a workout as I have very little upper body strength. So think the 2kg may perhaps be right for now? Here's hoping I'll manage heavier weights at a later date:)