Junk or Real Food For Breakfast?

Options
What are you eating for breakfast? Do you even have breakfast?

I have fresh juice - which I make - blended with a banana each and every morning. Its a Smoothie. I will not eat before the Smoothie and will wait for 30 minutes after before I eat anything else. Then it is usually a bowl of Cheerios for the fiber.

What do you do?

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast.

Every workday I have a cup of coffee, a Kashi TLC dark cherry chocolate bar, a small apple and either a light string cheese or a non-fat yogurt.

This is the weekend, today I am having an egg-beaters omelet with lowfat cheddar, 2 strips of center cut bacon and multi grain brown bread spread with Brummel and Brown, and of course - coffee.

Sometimes I make banana pancakes, french toast, or some other sort of egg breakfast - always cooked "light" compared to the way they would have been made in my "past life"

:smile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning:

On most mornings I do oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and a little brown sugar splenda.

But this morning it was eggs day. So hubby & I divided 1 egg with 2 egg whites, peppers and a little left over steak. Had a medium baked potato shredded into a little olive oil. the calories count wasn't really any more than the oatmeal breakfast.

I've always liked my meat and potatoes but I'm doing good not doing that so much.

have a great day!

Cindy
  • klybarger
    Options
    I always eat breakfast (wasn't a fan until I started MFP). This morning I'm having my Special K vanilla almond cereal and ff yogurt. I usually have some kind of fruit, but I didn't hit the produce stand yesterday :(
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday. It's easy to prepare in the office. I'm not much of a breakfast person.
  • Snick7227
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake for breakfast. Sometimes i'll add a few things to it like some fruit or a little bit of peanut butter. Then maybe an egg white and/or fresh veggies.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    This morning it was 1/2 a Thomas' double oat and honey bagel with 1 T of natural PB. I have to workout this AM so it was just enough to get me going without making me feel icky.
    I mix it up on work days-1/2 a bagel, light string cheese, Whole grain English Muffins, fruit. I don't usually eat until 8:30 or 9 in my office.
  • dclarsh1
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit, so I eat the same breakfast almost every day. I have one egg fried in Pam, one slice of Brownberry Grain Lover's Bread (possibly the best bread EVER!) toasted with a little margerine, a small glass of skim milk and either an orange or a banana depending on what's left in the fruit bowl. If it's the weekend, I have my coffee with breakfast, but if I have to go to work, I take my coffee with me and drink it there. And I always keep a back up box of Raisin Bran Crunch just in case I don't have time to make the full breakfast. And then there's plan C for when I'm REALLY running late, which is a bowl of oatmeal from the cafeteria at work. Can you tell I'm a planner? LOL.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have 3 breakfasts that I rotate around. It depends on 1) the amount of time I have and 2) what my taste buds are in the mood for.
    1) (Which I just had this morning) - 1/2 cup plain oatmeal, non instant with 1 TBSP cinnamon, 1 crushed walnut and either a banana or 1/2 an apple.

2) 1 slice whole wheat bread with 2 TBSP natural peanut butter and either 1/2 a grapefruit or a banana and 1/2 cup fresh blueberries.

3) 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg scrambled cooked in Pam with 2 cups spinach and 1 roma tomato sauteed in garlic and olive oil. 1/2 cup blueberries on the side and 1 TBSP romano cheese sprinkled on top of the eggs.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    At 7am I cook egg whites to put on a 100 calorie whole wheat english muffin. Total=160 calories
    That breakfast sandwich fills me up everytime.
    Then at like 9:30 I have a light yogurt for snack. 100 calories
    Plus I drink LOTS of water all day long, which really helps my tummy stay happy. I feel thirst as hunger when I don't drink lots of water, plus it helps flush out the sodium.
  • nongenius
    nongenius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was eating a rather low-cal breakfast for a long time. 1/2 cup regular oats cooked in 1 cup water in the microwave, then add some cinnamon and 1/2 cup of applesauce and a tiny bit of sugar free maple syrup. Add a banana for a 300 cal breakfast. But when I started on MFP I realized that my low-cal breakfast + low-cal lunch + low-cal dinner added up to less than 1200 calories. So I decided to add calories to my breakfast.

Now I eat 1/2 cup regular oats cooked in 1/4 cup of egg beaters and 3/4 cups water. Then add in cinnamon, 1/2 cup applesauce, 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and 2 tablespoons of either almonds or walnuts. Add a banana and a glass of milk for 600 calories, double my previous intake. And I'm full till lunch time. Sometimes I have difficulty finishing this breakfast.

Weekends are closer to junk food, though. Eggo waffles (Whole wheat when I can find them), bacon, some type of fruit (today it's cherries), and a tall glass of chocolate milk made with 1/3 the recommended amount of Hershey's chocolate milk mix. Yummy. Also close to 6-700 calories.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have coffee every day:bigsmile: and I used to have a whole grain english muffin with natural peanut butter, but now that I have to eat a low gluten diet, I have rice cakes with natural peanut butter. It's my favorite breakfast ever!! :bigsmile:
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Ice Cream! 1cup TJs 0% Greek yogurt + 1cup frozen fruit+ 1/2 cup fiber one or all bran... Mix in the Vita Mix = delicious Ice cream texture breakfast full of fiber, calcium and protein... and a cup or 2 (pot) of coffee.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I try to make myself have a pack of Quaker Lower Sugar Apples and Cinnamon oatmeal... sometimes with an ounce of almonds. I've noticed I have better luck with the scale when I actually eat breakfast. But it's so easy to forget sometimes... I've just never been a brekkie person.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I usually have a yogart and pack of oatmeal when I get to work at 8:30. I don't want too much because I go to lunch at 11:00
  • mlove1307
    Options
    I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast 6/7 days of the week for seven months now.. Before that, I never ate breakfast regularly because I don't really like milk, cereal, eggs or any of the traditional foods (AT bfast time.. I eat them when its like bfast for dinner tho haha)

This morning I have half a cup of oatmeal, the rolled oated, old-fashioned kind because it's quick but still has texture unlike the "quick 1-minute" kind.
    To the oatmeal I added quarter cup of fresh/frozen blueberries and one medium banana.

The blueberries make the oatmeal purple, and its fun for kids (and big kids!) and the banana helps add sweetness without added calories from sugar. I use splenda to sweeten it up a bit more, but any sweetener works. On days I need to up my protein I usually have a 4oz serving of Oikas 0% yogurt. I usually split a banana between the yogurt and oatmeal in that case.

I love me some oatmeallll!!!! I've tried sooo many random add-ins. From Blueberries and cherries, to blueberries and cinnamon and some milk, and banana and cinnamon (which tastes like banana bread)

Haha. Rant done. :]
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I do a half cup quaker oats microwaved in three-quarters cup skim milk. I add either two teaspoons brown sugar or a half cup frozen sugar free berries and a packet of splenda.

On weekends, it depends on what my husband is in the mood for-we sleep late on Saturday and Sunday, and don't usually get up til ten or so. I fix whatever he wants, and tweak it to make it "light" for myself. Today it was omelets. Mine was one egg plus one egg white (He got the yolk) with half cup thawed frozen spinach, three-quarters of a cup chopped mushrooms, and a slice of swiss cheese. Super good. I felt like toast as well, so I toasted an orowheat sandwich thin and topped it with 1 tablespoon of gold n soft light margarine.

When I'm really feeling like a big breakfast, I'll fry a potato in a tablespoon of olive oil with peppers and onions and whatever meat I have left over from the week chopped up into it, fry a couple of eggs over easy in pam olive oil spray and dump them on top of the meat and potato mix. It's not that bad calorie wise, though not something you'd want to eat every day! It totally feels like a Denny's cheat-type breakfast!