Eating Clean

Options
Hi Guys!

So i generally want some advice on eating clean . One of my downfalls i think is eating low cal, processed snacks and sometimes microwave meal . I really want to kick this habit so I thought eating clean would be the way to go .

This may sound like a silly question but what do you think eating clean is ?

Nothing Processed at all ? Does this also mean spreads like peanut butter and sauce like ketchup for example?

Literally just meat/fruit and vegetables?

Do you only drink water or can you have tea/coffee.squash ?

I realize that it will be an elimination process and I wonr be able to do it over night but if i can get any tips that would be most helpful - thanks!

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dominikaro
    Options
    Try eating fresh, basic food, something that wasn't processed. So for example milk, joghurt, cheese are ok, but chocolate milk, strawberry/ frozen joghurt and low fot cheese are not. Strawberries are great, but strawberrie jam is not. Marinate meat yourself. ALWAYS know what's in your food. Try to make meals yourself. Don't eat anythink with colours, preservatives etc.

It sounds hard but if you just make meals yourself using only fresh foods, you don't even need to think of that. And keep it simple.

Of course you can have tea and coffee. Just go for the natural ones. You can have juice, but rather a fresh one.

I hope it helps.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Based on my appointments with a Nutritionist from Jan - Aug this year, I'd recommend:

Lean proteins
    Complex carbohydrates
    Fresh fruit
    Fresh veg
    Dairy
    Water
    Decaf drinks
    Plain, unsalted, unroasted nuts

Go for Whole Earth peanut butter, it has no added sugar to it.

Aim for three meals and 2-3 snacks a day too.

Cut out the processed stuff like meals, junk food, pop, and basically, refined sugars.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Based on my appointments with a Nutritionist from Jan - Aug this year, I'd recommend:

Lean proteins
    Complex carbohydrates
    Fresh fruit
    Fresh veg
    Dairy
    Water
    Decaf drinks

Cut out the processed stuff like meals, junk food, pop, and basically, refined sugars.

It depends on what you mean by "decaf drinks". If you mean drinks made from things that don't naturally contain caffeine, it seems ok, but coffee naturally contains caffeine, so decaf coffee is highly processed. If you're trying to cut back on caffeine, it's better to limit your coffee intake and drink white or green tea instead of black.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I was advised to remove stimulants from my diet along with the rest of the advice I posted in order to stabilise my blood sugar levels. This took around 2 weeks to happen and then, I was able to have the odd coffee, 2 a week. From a health point of view for myself, this worked wonders so I personally think having a decaf tea is better opposed to having a cup of normal tea.

I get what you're saying on the decaf drinks being highly processed but, I was told that decaf tea was a better choice than decaf coffee, and I also had fruity teas too.

With most foods, my rule of thumb is if it doesn't have a mother or grew in the ground, I try not to have it.

Lean proteins
    Complex carbohydrates
    Fresh fruit
    Fresh veg
    Dairy
    Water
    Decaf drinks

It depends on what you mean by "decaf drinks". If you mean drinks made from things that don't naturally contain caffeine, it seems ok, but coffee naturally contains caffeine, so decaf coffee is highly processed. If you're trying to cut back on caffeine, it's better to limit your coffee intake and drink white or green tea instead of black.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump - looking for ideas :o)
  • pcgirl58
    pcgirl58 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ill tell you this: Ive been clean eating for a good many years. When people at work bring in foods for a potluck - I am damn near ready to vomit because I can EASILY tell who is the real cook, and who works with prepackaged/processed foods...

Seriously - get your youtube.com going for free cooking lessons and just stop purchasing convenience foods... you will need to retrain your palate but once its trained, you will never ever go back....

Variety of dishes to try, a great recipe website is www.recipesource.com - just find the recipes that are all whole foods, no artificial junk, no name-brand items.. they have TONS... and if you think of a country, its definitely going to be there!
  • busymnmom
    Options
    bump
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ill tell you this: Ive been clean eating for a good many years. When people at work bring in foods for a potluck - I am damn near ready to vomit because I can EASILY tell who is the real cook, and who works with prepackaged/processed foods...

Seriously - get your youtube.com going for free cooking lessons and just stop purchasing convenience foods... you will need to retrain your palate but once its trained, you will never ever go back....

Variety of dishes to try, a great recipe website is www.recipesource.com - just find the recipes that are all whole foods, no artificial junk, no name-brand items.. they have TONS... and if you think of a country, its definitely going to be there!

Completely agree! We had a chili cook off and work and i could tell the same thing.

Some condiments are fine, you just have to look at the labels. Ketchup is highly processed but if u got an organic one, which i get at traders for 2 bucks, you will definitely taste a difference. And if u are crafty in the kitchen you can make alot of condiments from scratch very easily.

My biggest suggestion would be to shop the perimeter of the store for the fresh produce and meats and just be very careful to read labels with the other stuff. If u dont know what an ingredient is, be cautious of buying it!

Good luck :)
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree with what many of the posters have to say. Avoid processed food. People now are trained to think a snack comes out of a package or a vending machine. A snack is an apple, or some raw nuts, or maybe a little organic yogurt. Build your big meal around the veggies (instead of a slab of meat), and that will automatically help eliminate a lot of the junk. The good news is that clean eating really doesn't take much time. Example of last night's meal - main dish salad included romaine, tomato, black beans, avocado, chopped peppers and grilled shrimp. My one indulgence was a whole wheat pita toasted on the grill with a little olive oil. With my better half grilling the shrimp and me handling the salad, we pulled this together in 30 minutes (this allowed us to get in our run after work without being stressed about having to come home and make a big meal). Good luck. Say no to processed food!!! ;)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Or, and I know this will cause ripples here...

Get the idea of "clean" and "dirty" food out of your head.

There's a huge amount of polarization when it comes to this idea of clean food. I can only suggest you read the following:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty

In fact, if you have time, start from the top of the page and read the whole lot. You'll have your eyes opened, trust me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the definition of "clean" eating varies and often depends on people's notion of the definition of "processing." Honestly though, even running a knife through a piece of meat is a process of cutting meat.

Really it's a personal preference. I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just eat what makes you feel comfortable, and don't eat anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Get the idea of "clean" and "dirty" food out of your head.

^^^ THIS!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Build your big meal around the veggies (instead of a slab of meat), and that will automatically help eliminate a lot of the junk.

Until I am wealthy, following this would never work. Hmmm, what meat goes best with asparagus? Whtat? It's not on sale? It umpteen million dollars per pound? :laugh: :laugh:

I do quite the opposite. Since I shop on a tight budget, I find out what meat is on sale, then build meals around the meat, adding veggies and fruit, pasta or rice, etc. I can't figure out how building the meal around vegetables works unless you are vegetarian/vegan. :huh:
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not into eating "clean," but I do prefer to eat food that I've purchased in as close to it's natural form as possible. IE, boneless skinless chicken breasts rather than chicken nuggets with "meat" that most closely resembles medium density fiber boards. Cheese from the deli instead of a spray can. Fresh or frozen vegetables instead of canned because canned are quite high in sodium. Fruit instead of Pop Tarts with "fruit" filling.

Frozen meals are handy in a pinch. But for the same money and same calories, I can buy and eat a lot more if I cook it myself. Most are just a tiny portion of meat, a tiny portion of vegetables, a tiny portion of rice or pasta, with a sauce or marinade. Cook a pile of chicken ahead of time (grilled, baked, cut up and stir fried), add some frozen veggies, a little bit of rice or pasta, and a sauce, and you have the same thing.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Check out this book by Dee McCaffrey --
    http://www.amazon.com/Plan-D-Amazing-Anti-Diet-Change-Forever/dp/0974553042

She has a companion cookbook, too --
    http://www.amazon.com/Plan-D-Cookbook-Companion-Dee-McCaffrey/dp/0974553050

And there's a clean eating forum on her website --
    http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/

Enjoy!