really reduced calories/metabolism help :)

Options
Eep... i'm on really reduced calories, and i'm a bit worried bout upping them.

i've lost a lot of weight (well 50 pounds over a year) in the past through eating very little with virtually no exercise (i know this is v.bad :embarassed: but it worked for me back then).

i'm trying to lose weight again but with a slightly healthier plan (with at least some serious exercise anyway) though i'm tending to eat very little again, has anyone found that their metabolism suffered badly from really reduced calories?
im worried that may get very damaged over time...Did you really struggle to keep it off or lose if you upped your intake?

Weighing up my options really?

Are people really using ALL their calories up??

Replies

• kaylabrianna
    Options
    I'm recovering from anorexia and when I increased my calories I gained weight, it stayed for a few weeks but then when my metabolism sorted itself out I dropped the weight! it's totally worth it, you'll feel amazing. Make sure you increase it slowly, 100-200 calories a week and make sure you fill those extra calories with HEALTHY foods babe!
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ive lost nearly a stone in about 4-5 weeks, you can have a look at my diary if you like, you may have to friend me first, im not sure. Im 5'11 and started off at 202lb. I do either some walking or cycling each day.
  • mistertug
    Options
    Eat all your calories but pay attention to the nutrients you consume while doing so, I think you'll see positive results.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    How low is low?

There are a few issues with eating very low (less that 1000 per day). You may lose weight and you may lose it quite quickly but you will not lose FAT!!!! and after a while your weight loss will stall altogether. Your body holds on to fat stores when you eat really low- much in the same way it holds on to water if you don't drink fluids. Also, this weight will not stay off. You will experience feelings of weakness, irritability and you may notice skin changes and some hair loss if your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to support these things.

I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is not to under-eat!!!!!!!!!!!

There is an answer though. I was put on tablets by my GP for a medical condition I have. These tablets DESTROYED my appetite. I rarely felt hungry and sometimes had to force myself just to meet 800 calories a day!!!!!!!!! I carried on this way for quite a while, stupidly thinking i was fine and it wasn't doing me any harm but i was really silly to think this. I stopped taking the tablets my doctor had prescribed me and am gradually getting my appetite back. I have upped my calories to 11-1200 per day now and will continue to increase this gradually. My weight is moving again. I'm losing a steady 1-2lbs per week and i feel LOADS better in myself from eating more and getting more nutrients in my body each day.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just giving you the benefit of my experience. See a doctor or registered nutritionist for professional advice!

Good luck
    Jx
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hey Sprocket I did the same thing in the beginning and found that as your body loses those 'extra' pounds it gets harder to do the low calorie diet, exercise, and feel good. Once you hit a ratio of fat to body weight its harder for you to not want to fill those calories. Start now building a healthy choice alternative like fruit, and high protein foods that make you feel full.
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert and am still trying to learn about this but from everything I've been reading it seems you have to first let go of expectations. Just because it says someone your age, height, and weight, can eat 2100 calories to maintain, that is the average but that doesn't mean that works for you. So many factors play into that number. So after that, 1) look at yourself honestly. How tall are you (smaller people need less food), what is your bone structure like, do you have muscle or mostly fat? Finding your actual body fat percentage will help, you can try a few sources online although they will often tell you different results. If you can afford to get it done professionally, you should. 2) How many calories do you really burn a day? Do you work a desk job, garden, build? What do you do when you get home? How often are you walking up flights of stairs at home? Do you sit on the computer or watch TV for hours on end? If you can get an HRM to determine this great, if not you'll have to guess. Although I work an active job, when I get home I sit around on the computer a lot, so I take that into account. 3) How often do you exercise and what exercises do you do? High intensity cardio often makes you hungry because you'll burn a lot of calories, weight lifting burns less calories but you gain muscle which will help you lose fat and allow you to eat more in the long run.

I realized that if I'm eating healthy choices (only whole grains, nuts, meat, beans, cut out sweets) I get full very fast and only net about 900-1300 calories. If I'm eating crappier, frozen meals, or high carb (not the good carbs) and low protien, yes I can easily net 1500+. But if I stick to the good stuff, I'm full and if I eat more I just feel sick so why not listen to myself? I've lost 10 pounds this way, I have more energy and am happier, and I'm stronger than I've ever been so I've stopped listening to all the people that say I'm doing it wrong by netting so little.

So moral of the story, learn about yourself and your goals, pick carbs that are good for you like veggies, fruits, and whole grains, make sure you're getting your protein and gauge how you feel, these foods are harder for your body to digest so they definitely work your metabolism. After eating lot's of veggies, I feel my stomach working! I suggest getting into weights which, as you lose fat, your muscle will keep you firm and allow you to eat more food in order to maintain.

Hope this helped. Everyone is different so figure out what works for you. (an as people above said, if you are feeling sick, dizzy, weak, depressed, hair is thinning, than those are signs you are eating too little. Some of these happened to me when I net low while eating crap, I would get moody and dizzy. When I switched what I was eating and stopped worrying about netting an exact amount, it didn't happen. If you're hungry, eat!)
  • sprocket1978
    sprocket1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)

I've been averaging around 650/700 cals mark which i know is a bit extreme, but as some of you know you get kind of used to less, i did it for over a year before and it felt fine.

But having joined this site i'm seeing people really are getting great results with a healthy intake too. Def gonna up the ante now, slowly, by a few hundred anyway. Much better in the long run, its truly heartbreaking when it piles back on...

Thanks so much for the advice XXX

Wish me luck :)
  • sprocket1978
    Options
    How low is low?

There are a few issues with eating very low (less that 1000 per day). You may lose weight and you may lose it quite quickly but you will not lose FAT!!!! and after a while your weight loss will stall altogether. Your body holds on to fat stores when you eat really low- much in the same way it holds on to water if you don't drink fluids. Also, this weight will not stay off. You will experience feelings of weakness, irritability and you may notice skin changes and some hair loss if your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to support these things.

I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is not to under-eat!!!!!!!!!!!

There is an answer though. I was put on tablets by my GP for a medical condition I have. These tablets DESTROYED my appetite. I rarely felt hungry and sometimes had to force myself just to meet 800 calories a day!!!!!!!!! I carried on this way for quite a while, stupidly thinking i was fine and it wasn't doing me any harm but i was really silly to think this. I stopped taking the tablets my doctor had prescribed me and am gradually getting my appetite back. I have upped my calories to 11-1200 per day now and will continue to increase this gradually. My weight is moving again. I'm losing a steady 1-2lbs per week and i feel LOADS better in myself from eating more and getting more nutrients in my body each day.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just giving you the benefit of my experience. See a doctor or registered nutritionist for professional advice!

Good luck
    Jx

thanks so much for the tips!
  • sprocket1978
    Options
    I'm no expert and am still trying to learn about this but from everything I've been reading it seems you have to first let go of expectations. Just because it says someone your age, height, and weight, can eat 2100 calories to maintain, that is the average but that doesn't mean that works for you. So many factors play into that number. So after that, 1) look at yourself honestly. How tall are you (smaller people need less food), what is your bone structure like, do you have muscle or mostly fat? Finding your actual body fat percentage will help, you can try a few sources online although they will often tell you different results. If you can afford to get it done professionally, you should. 2) How many calories do you really burn a day? Do you work a desk job, garden, build? What do you do when you get home? How often are you walking up flights of stairs at home? Do you sit on the computer or watch TV for hours on end? If you can get an HRM to determine this great, if not you'll have to guess. Although I work an active job, when I get home I sit around on the computer a lot, so I take that into account. 3) How often do you exercise and what exercises do you do? High intensity cardio often makes you hungry because you'll burn a lot of calories, weight lifting burns less calories but you gain muscle which will help you lose fat and allow you to eat more in the long run.

I realized that if I'm eating healthy choices (only whole grains, nuts, meat, beans, cut out sweets) I get full very fast and only net about 900-1300 calories. If I'm eating crappier, frozen meals, or high carb (not the good carbs) and low protien, yes I can easily net 1500+. But if I stick to the good stuff, I'm full and if I eat more I just feel sick so why not listen to myself? I've lost 10 pounds this way, I have more energy and am happier, and I'm stronger than I've ever been so I've stopped listening to all the people that say I'm doing it wrong by netting so little.

So moral of the story, learn about yourself and your goals, pick carbs that are good for you like veggies, fruits, and whole grains, make sure you're getting your protein and gauge how you feel, these foods are harder for your body to digest so they definitely work your metabolism. After eating lot's of veggies, I feel my stomach working! I suggest getting into weights which, as you lose fat, your muscle will keep you firm and allow you to eat more food in order to maintain.

Hope this helped. Everyone is different so figure out what works for you. (an as people above said, if you are feeling sick, dizzy, weak, depressed, hair is thinning, than those are signs you are eating too little. Some of these happened to me when I net low while eating crap, I would get moody and dizzy. When I switched what I was eating and stopped worrying about netting an exact amount, it didn't happen. If you're hungry, eat!)

wow thank you so much, im generally uber good with my foods when im losing-veggies galore and terrible when im not! Thanks a million for your help and advice hun, your a star! XXX
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Particularly on MFP, no one is going to openly advocate an extreme, calorie restrictive diet plan. I don't advocate it either - it's the kind of thing that sets you up for binge eating, and speedy weight regain because of the psychological and physiological difficulties you're putting your body through.

What I will say though, is that I've been eating between 800-900 cals a day to lose weight for about 8 months now. I've lost steadily at a rate of 1.5 lbs a week, which I think is meant to be healthy. I haven't had any of the tell-tale symptoms of a starvation diet. Other members will probably think that I'm just making excuses and that "no one" should ever net below 1200, but I reason that because I'm 4'10" and have been mostly sedentary for the past two months, this is a calorie goal I can very easily pull off each day without any untoward problems with my metabolism.

For me <700 is definitely the danger zone. I felt really light-headed on those couple of days that I tried it, and I also quickly regained everything that I lost that week. Everyone's different depending on how much they have to lose, how tall they are and how active. I think it's really matter of you being sensible and trying to develop a good meal routine with healthy food that fills you up nicely for at least three hours after eating. If you're immediately hungry again, or worse, you don't feel hungry at all despite eating a tiny tiny amount, the restriction is way to much. Also, there is no room at all for junk food in your diet. You must make every calorie count with preferably home cooked, fresh food so that you don't end up with mineral and nutrient deficiencies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Particularly on MFP, no one is going to openly advocate an extreme, calorie restrictive diet plan. I don't advocate it either - it's the kind of thing that sets you up for binge eating, and speedy weight regain because of the psychological and physiological difficulties you're putting your body through.

What I will say though, is that I've been eating between 800-900 cals a day to lose weight for about 8 months now. I've lost steadily at a rate of 1.5 lbs a week, which I think is meant to be healthy. I haven't had any of the tell-tale symptoms of a starvation diet. Other members will probably think that I'm just making excuses and that "no one" should ever net below 1200, but I reason that because I'm 4'10" and have been mostly sedentary for the past two months, this is a calorie goal I can very easily pull off each day without any untoward problems with my metabolism.

For me <700 is definitely the danger zone. I felt really light-headed on those couple of days that I tried it, and I also quickly regained everything that I lost that week. Everyone's different depending on how much they have to lose, how tall they are and how active. I think it's really matter of you being sensible and trying to develop a good meal routine with healthy food that fills you up nicely for at least three hours after eating. If you're immediately hungry again, or worse, you don't feel hungry at all despite eating a tiny tiny amount, the restriction is way to much. Also, there is no room at all for junk food in your diet. You must make every calorie count with preferably home cooked, fresh food so that you don't end up with mineral and nutrient deficiencies.

Do yourself a favor and start tracking your body fat. Then you can tell how much lean body mass you will be losing. I bet between your vlcd and no exercise, its around 50%. When you lise lbm, you slow down your metabolic rate. This is why the moment you do binges or eat regular then gain weight back and more. Also, your height doesnt so much effect your calorie needs its more based on lbm. The more lbm you have the more calories you burn at rest. I burn an additional 300 calories over what a normal person my height, age and weight does as i have a lot of lbm. This is actually why MFP doesnt work for me. I have to utilize the katch mcardle formula to calculate caloric requirements

OP, what i suggest is upping your calories by 200 calories until you are in a good range, probably 1600 but if you post your height weight and age (if you have your boy fst its better) and exercise calories then i will run your numbers.
  • sprocket1978
    Options

Do yourself a favor and start tracking your body fat. Then you can tell how much lean body mass you will be losing. I bet between your vlcd and no exercise, its around 50%. When you lise lbm, you slow down your metabolic rate. This is why the moment you do binges or eat regular then gain weight back and more. Also, your height doesnt so much effect your calorie needs its more based on lbm. The more lbm you have the more calories you burn at rest. I burn an additional 300 calories over what a normal person my height, age and weight does as i have a lot of lbm. This is actually why MFP doesnt work for me. I have to utilize the katch mcardle formula to calculate caloric requirements

OP, what i suggest is upping your calories by 200 calories until you are in a good range, probably 1600 but if you post your height weight and age (if you have your boy fst its better) and exercise calories then i will run your numbers.

woa Katch Mcaedle formula, you have done your homework!! :) i havent a notion lol.

Thanks a mill for the tips and advice, MFP when i joined logged me as needing 1200 cals though i'm averaging around 700max currently. I'm doin about 20 mins circuit training/weights a day burning bout 187 cals. I'm at 151 pounds as of this morning, scraping five foot and turned 34 at the weekend, so if you don't mind running the numbers that would be amazing! your a star!

Btw LOVIN the profile pic :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, and I have to lay it out honestly, I've never struggled with finding it hard to eat. lol

However I do find your post a little worrying, in that you say you are now seriously exercising as well as not eating very much. This is not good at all, and the long-term effects of the damage you will do to your body will far outweigh the weight loss you may see at the moment.

As for your question, yes some people do eat back all their calories, and to be honest, I find that when I eat a lot of (clean) food, I lose more weight than when I don't. Weird I know, but then our bodies are strange.

I think you need to look at why you find it difficult to eat. I'm not suggesting you have a disorder at all, but there is going to be an underlying reason, not necessarily a serious one. Do you feel guilty? Not find the time? etc etc

From what you've said I am assuming you lost the weight before by under-eating and have put it all back on again which is why you are now in this position again (apologies if I'm wrong). That will tell you this does not work for you long term. It needs to be something you can stick to forever.
  • psuLemon
    Options

woa Katch Mcaedle formula, you have done your homework!! :) i havent a notion lol.

Thanks a mill for the tips and advice, MFP when i joined logged me as needing 1200 cals though i'm averaging around 700max currently. I'm doin about 20 mins circuit training/weights a day burning bout 187 cals. I'm at 151 pounds as of this morning, scraping five foot and turned 34 at the weekend, so if you don't mind running the numbers that would be amazing! your a star!

Based on your stats, i would have you at least eating 1600 calories daily. You don't have much to lose, so you can't aim to lose much more than 1/2 - 1 lb per week. And since you have been eating very low calories, you have put your body in the position to catabolize your lean body mass (aka use the amino acids in your muscles to create fuel). So a large portion of your weight loss was muscle. This is bad as your body will adapt and use less energy.

So I would slowly increase your calories 200 a week until you hit 1600. Your body will probably take 1-2 months to get used to the additional calories, stabilize and than start to let the weight drop again.
  • sprocket1978
    Options

Based on your stats, i would have you at least eating 1600 calories daily. You don't have much to lose, so you can't aim to lose much more than 1/2 - 1 lb per week. And since you have been eating very low calories, you have put your body in the position to catabolize your lean body mass (aka use the amino acids in your muscles to create fuel). So a large portion of your weight loss was muscle. This is bad as your body will adapt and use less energy.

So I would slowly increase your calories 200 a week until you hit 1600. Your body will probably take 1-2 months to get used to the additional calories, stabilize and than start to let the weight drop again.

A prince among men! thanks a mill, having a bit more brown rice for lunch right now with a few more veggies :) gonna pick up the pace. Really great advice and i'm sure its going to be a LOT more beneficial in the long run for my health and fitness.Thanks a mill again for taking the time XXX
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Increase them slowly and see what happens - whats your personal goal? Just to lose weight or to feel good in your shape?
    I eat 1200cal a day -which people see as low, and I train 6 days a week - it works for me. I don't plan to do this forever - once I am at my goal weight (3kgs away) I will up to my BMR range which is 1460 a day and see how I go :)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I only eat 900-1100 calories a day, plus exercise, so net calories around 600-800 and honestly, that works for me. I am small (only 5' tall) so eating 2000 calories a day is just not for me. I do not feel hungry or fatigued on this caloric intake. I stopped trying to fit my body into other diet plans and just listen to what works for me. I don't see the point in trying to force myself to eat more calories in a day if I'm just plain not hungry. I'm not starving myself, I'm just getting what I need and it happens to be less calories than the average person. I'm also about 5 inches shorter than the average female haha. I say do what works for you. Don't make yourself eat 1800 calories a day just because someone else says that's healthy for you. Listen to your body and eat when you need to.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also adjust your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat. High protein/moderate carb & fat diets are much more effective as they help maintain lean body mass and your metabolism. Also, when you do weight training, make sure you are maxing reps out around 6-10 and lifting heavy. The heavier the better as it's much better for fat loss. Also, a post recovery protein drink (something that contains whey and casein) can improve muscle repair. It should be consumed within the hour or if you eat a big meal after, that works too.
  • sprocket1978
    Options
    Massive thanks all !! :flowerforyou: very determined now to do this right, this is such a great site, so glad i found it!:heart:
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

This is probably a thread that didn't need resurrecting, but I'm going to reply anyway just so that I can express a few things. Firstly, I do exercise 4-5 times a week, mostly cardio but some strength training in there also. However, I wouldn't call exercising for 1/2 an hour to 1 1/2 hours each day, while I spend the rest of my time sitting down, a 'lightly active' lifestyle. I've found it very hard indeed to calculate body fat percentage. I get a load of ranging values, many of which told me right at the beginning of my weight loss plan that I had a 'normal' bf% for women, when I was unequivocally overweight.

With a reduction of 12lbs so far I've noticeably lost the fold around my stomach. The other interesting thing is that though my arms are still quite flabby, I have quite a significant muscle bump on my dominant upper arm, as well as my calfs, something which I've either gained through fat loss, or through toning, as opposed to your suggestion that I've 'lost' half of my weight in muscle!

What I can say is that my metabolism rate has remained steady at 90% over the course of these two months, suggesting that my muscle mass has remained pretty much the same. Also, I wasn't under the impression that at rest the body consumed 50% fat and 50% muscle when undergoing a calorie deficit?? I have read that 'at rest' the body takes most of its energy from the glycogen stores, and the remainder from fat. Muscle is usually lost during a sedentary lifestyle because of weakening from lack of use, whereas I do use my muscles regularly even if only for short burst of time. It is vigorous and repetitive cardio that may cause a tendency for muscle loss, but even that will never be 50% if a person is overweight!

The issues you pointed out regarding binging and weight regain lack foundation. Firstly, people regain their weight because they put themselves on too low a calorie diet for it to be sustainable, meaning they could not emotionally conceive eating say 1200 or 1500 each and every day for the rest of their lives, even if that's what they lived on for the year that they were trying to lose weight. As a result, they end up eating almost as much as they used to, and once you've been large in your life, it becomes terribly easy for your adipose tissue to store fat because you have an increased number of these cells which research has shown simply never go away, even when you lose all the weight. This is why I strongly recommended to the OP to eat what feels comfortable to her. Putting herself outside of that comfort zone instantly sets up the kind of environment that causes a person to let loose with her eating one too many times. Whether I end up binging or not is something you shouldn't try to assume or predict through a series of probable numbers, it's very much a function of whether I'm being sensible and listening to my own body.

Yesterday I ate about 300 calories more than my usual amount and still lost weight this morning. When we celebrated Eid over the weekend a little while ago, I probably consumed over 1400 cals each day, and though I'd gained by about 3-4 pounds over the next couple of days, I quickly shed that because my overall week still showed a reasonable deficit. I assure you that my metabolism is working just fine.

Height in an indication of frame size, ie. someone smaller will have shorter limbs and therefore less lean body mass. The way I see it, lbm is directly proportionate to height, thereby one's height strongly affects one's calorie intake.

What I would actually like to see more people talking about are daily macronutrients, minerals and vitamin needs and how to access them in daily food, as opposed to this obsession with calorie deficits. Those trying to lose weight should be more worried about deficiencies rather than how their metabolism is or isn't letting them lose weight. If you're consuming the right nutrition for your body, then there's no doubt that you're remaining healthy - if the amount of food is leaving you feeling genuinely hungry half an hour after a meal, then increase your intake until you can last a little longer. Unfortunately, it's harder to keep track of so many numbers, so we tend to obsess over just the one.