i get obsessive when i try to eat clean

Options
So I want to be healthy and feed my body unprocessed healthy food but whenever I try to eat this way I get really obsessive about it and I don't like that. I become preoccupied with food and find myself constantly planning meals and spending hours online just reading about food ideas. I'm always thinking about what food is in the fridge and what I should eat. It almost seems like it would be healthier (mentally at least) for me to just grab a sandwich from subway everyday and forget about food. Also having food in the house makes me eat more than if I just had an empty fridge which isn't good if I'm trying to lose weight. I'm not sure what to do at this point...

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat super clean all the time to lose or maintain weight. As you noticed, taking it as literally as you do is quite an unhealthy habit. As long as you end up providing less energy in the form of calories to your body below maintenance, you'll lose weight. If you need 1900 to maintain and devour 1900 calories of twinkies, you won't gain weight (although you'll get crappy nutrition for a day).

Aiming for improvement is a great goal to have: aiming for perfection, literally, however is not. I leave aside about 20% of my calories for candy and treats, which I eat daily. This helps me stay sane while staying within my calorie budget :wink:
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I'm in the middle of you, (OP) and "geekyjock76"

I obsess, I have to but it's working for me (65 days strong) I am always online looking for recipes, new ideas on how to up my protein, balance my fat and carbs (love me some carbs) and I am constantly planning all of my meals a few days out.
    I tend to cook in batches so I get a little break from obsessing when there are leftovers in the fridge i can just heat up.
    I am not the cleanest eater here for sure but I really really try! I do allow myself treats almost daily, however I do feel that giving up some foods completely is easier for me to handle than managing them in moderation. For example: Stacey's Pita Chips! OMG I love them so much, once the bag is open they're gone! I freaked out last Friday because I had a salad and a slice of pizza (:noway: ) but I quickly worked through that nonsense and I plan on having the same exact supper tomorrow night (tonight? Friday!!)
    My point is, it's not a terrible thing to become a little obsessed if that's what it takes to get you going but you have to find the balance.
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of you, (OP) and "geekyjock76"

I obsess, I have to but it's working for me (65 days strong) I am always online looking for recipes, new ideas on how to up my protein, balance my fat and carbs (love me some carbs) and I am constantly planning all of my meals a few days out.
    I tend to cook in batches so I get a little break from obsessing when there are leftovers in the fridge i can just heat up.
    I am not the cleanest eater here for sure but I really really try! I do allow myself treats almost daily, however I do feel that giving up some foods completely is easier for me to handle than managing them in moderation. For example: Stacey's Pita Chips! OMG I love them so much, once the bag is open they're gone! I freaked out last Friday because I had a salad and a slice of pizza (:noway: ) but I quickly worked through that nonsense and I plan on having the same exact supper tomorrow night (tonight? Friday!!)
    My point is, it's not a terrible thing to become a little obsessed if that's what it takes to get you going but you have to find the balance.

As I was reading this I was thinking, " this woman is me!" I plan my meals days out also, am always looking for recipes on line for how to make lower cal meals, etc.

I would love to be your friend if you'd like.
  • snelson0511
    Options
    I think you only obsess about the healthy clean eating because it doesn't come natural...YET! I think if you keep up with it you'll start to plan clean meals and snack right on your own. You'll build up your repetiore of healthy meals so you won't have to always search for a recipe.. It's just like counting calories....it's always on your mind and you always plan ahead...but eventually you'll look at a bown of oatmeal and go "Yep that's 300 calories" LOL or whatever.

I think you eating clean is wonderful and will make you feel so great! Do you have to be obsessed about it? Yeah in the beginning almost because no one wants you to eat clean at grocery stores or restaurants. It's really tough and I applaud you! Try to remember you're only human though :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That sounds like mildly obsessive behavior not a problem with food. I would work systematically to deal with that. Another move - besides eating clean - towards a healthy lifestyle.

I can easily get really focused on things too (look at the number of my posts). But there is an edge between researching things and thinking about them and planning and obsessing and being unable to control yourself. In fact, if you plan and then sabotage yourself that is not a healthy pattern.
  • jamface11
    Options
    I definitely get obsessive behaviors happening, whenever I'm being good on MFP it tends to be the forums. Sometimes I can't get off :P

I think this is why I fall off the wagon so easily, I obsess until it becomes tiring and then can't be bothered anymore.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I drive my best friend nuts with this...he's like "eat a pizza for crying out loud"