Quick weight loss....

Options
First off, let me say I TOTALLY know that losing more than 2 pounds a week is super unhealthy and is really really bad for your body.

Here's my dillema... at my job they are having a weight loss contest. It's over in 4 weeks and the winner gets $440. In order to win I need to lose about 20 pounds. Back in my yo-yo dieting days I lost 30 pounds in about 5 weeks... twice. So, I know I can do it.

I'm a super poor college student and could REALLY use that $440 dollars. But, I'm seriously fighting myself here. I know that once I weigh in during that final weigh in I will go right back to eating healthy and losing weight slowly, but would a super strict diet to lose weight quick for a month be worth it? Should I do this lose weight quick thing to win the much needed money? Or should I suck it up and forget about making a quick buck at the expense of my body and metabolism?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    First off, let me say I TOTALLY know that losing more than 2 pounds a week is super unhealthy and is really really bad for your body.

Here's my dillema... at my job they are having a weight loss contest. It's over in 4 weeks and the winner gets $440. In order to win I need to lose about 20 pounds. Back in my yo-yo dieting days I lost 30 pounds in about 5 weeks... twice. So, I know I can do it.

I'm a super poor college student and could REALLY use that $440 dollars. But, I'm seriously fighting myself here. I know that once I weigh in during that final weigh in I will go right back to eating healthy and losing weight slowly, but would a super strict diet to lose weight quick for a month be worth it? Should I do this lose weight quick thing to win the much needed money? Or should I suck it up and forget about making a quick buck at the expense of my body and metabolism?

Any suggestions?
  • mfeidbo
    mfeidbo Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't do it. You'll do way more harm to your body than good, and you'll end up spending way more money on getting healthy again. Not worth it - trust me, been there.

Wish I could help you with the money thing though... I hear ya. Try www.daveramsey.com.... great money advice.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    No amount of money is worth risking your health...
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just take a big hit off a helium bottle right before the weigh in, works like a champ, how do you think the first woman won biggest loser? :laugh: I'm only kidding of course, she kicked butt! Stick to normal dieting methods, I can tell you from experience money isn't everything!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Just take a big hit off a helium bottle right before the weigh in, works like a champ, how do you think the first woman won biggest loser? :laugh: I'm only kidding of course, she kicked butt! Stick to normal dieting methods, I can tell you from experience money isn't everything!

Oh my, I just read your profile.... I was born in Fargo!!! And I don't think I've ever met another person who was born there (of course, I'm not up there.... duh.)
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!

I've decided not to go the quick weight loss route. I'd love to win 400 bucks, but I promised myself at the beginning of the year that my yo-yoing days are over. I would hate to mess up my metabolism all over again and start back at square one with my health.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I just read your profile.... I was born in Fargo!!! And I don't think I've ever met another person who was born there (of course, I'm not up there.... duh.)

Im not from fargo, just sentenced here for another 2.5 months :( I guess its better than Iraq or Afganistan because I don't get shot at and I can get real food but oh well I guess I'll get to enjoy the desert once again next year! But yes fargo is a nice small city were people are nive unlike other cities where its all about them and no one says hi or thank you when you hold the door for them ( man that just erks me! I want to slam it on the back of their head as they walk by and watch them spit their gum out and spill their 6 dollar coffee) Ok im sorry, its late, im cranky, and I dont like people who are unthankful all the time. /end rant
  • knitgirl
    knitgirl Posts: 27
    Options

Im not from fargo, just sentenced here for another 2.5 months :( I guess its better than Iraq or Afganistan because I don't get shot at and I can get real food but oh well I guess I'll get to enjoy the desert once again next year!

Are you Air Force? I spent 7 Years in the AF - 3 years active and 4 reserve ....