Can't work a pedometer!!

Options
Ok so firstly what is supposed to count as a step? Is it every time each leg goes forward or everytime one leg follows through again?

Secondly regardless of this I can't get a pedometer to work properly ,
I have bought about 5 different ones, test them by taking about 50 steps ( counting a step as
Follow through with one leg so if I was counting each time each foot went down that would make 100)
The pedometer never reads anywhere near this number, not even close.

I do have a slightly odd walking gait, lack of activation of my glutes and slight overuse of my hammi's which means I step quite lightly
But I would have thought the a pedometer would still count the steps.
What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• curlygirly80
    Options
    Try looking into a fitbit. I love mine and it does more than track steps. You can even intergrate it with MFP so it automatically registers your calories on this site.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Please forgive my complete ignorance !!
  • ebony__
    Options
    The ones I've had have only been relatively cheap ones ... And I guess you get what you pay for... But you wouldn't think thy could be so grossly inaccurate
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second fitbit--- simple to use, and very helpful
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I agree. I have spent plenty on pedometers but I LOVE MY FITBIT. It costs 100 bucks but worth it
  • ebony__
    Options
    Ok I've had a look at the fitbit and I'm goin to get one.. Just one question
    Dont know how to word it?
    Does it automatically minus your resting calories burnt or do you have to do that manually?
    For example if I want to figure out how much I'm burning in a busy shift at work or a 3 hour walk, do I have to then minus a my resting calories ( I think about 1.5 cals per min is about average isn't it?)
    Or does the fitbit do that automatically and just give me the number I need to log?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I used a regular pedometer, but don't you need to input your walking stride? For the ones I used, a step is from from foot 1 to foot 1. Something like right foot-left-right is one step. Fitbit count each foot as a step (right-left-right would be 3 steps).

Oh, there is a $50 Fitbit Zip if you'd rather not spend $100.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Ok I've had a look at the fitbit and I'm goin to get one.. Just one question
    Dont know how to word it?
    Does it automatically minus your resting calories burnt or do you have to do that manually?
    For example if I want to figure out how much I'm burning in a busy shift at work or a 3 hour walk, do I have to then minus a my resting calories ( I think about 1.5 cals per min is about average isn't it?)
    Or does the fitbit do that automatically and just give me the number I need to log?

Fitbit includes your BMR in all calculations, so you'll have to do math if you want to know what you burn just with exercise (or get an HRM).
  • ebony__
    Options
    Maybe I'm just better of gettin a hrm then...??
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

You had to replace the first? Are they unreliable then? - very expensive
  • minnielovesmickey
    Options
    Hello!

My HRM watch is either on the blink or it needs a new battery as it gives me crazily high or low numbers after a work out.....So I ordered this pedometer last week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Walking-Style-III-Pedometer/dp/B0045EPEBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348226190&sr=8-1

As I need to know my distance covered as well as cals burnt as I'm training for a walking marathon. This morning was the first time I've used it but I love it. All you have to set it up is input the time, your height, weight, and your normal stride from heel to heel in cm. (If nobody is around just measure your wet footprints after a shower)

I did my research but can't afford a fitbit at the moment.

Really hope this simple & cheap pedometer lasts longer than my HRM watch :D
  • pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone have a look at the sporty pal app.

It may not do everything that you need, but it is worth a look
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I bought the FitBit Zip yesterday. You can set your stride length, or use the default. I set mine and it was VERY close on the steps. I counted 50 steps and the FitBit said 51. I was happy with that.

It gives you your full calories for the day, including your resting metabolism. However, you can see the activity calories on the charts on the website so you can see how many additional calories you burned at a given time/activity.

I like it so far. It's a glorified pedometer (which is what I wanted) but it works well. The Zip doesn't count stairs though - you have to get the more expensive one for that. I don't do many stairs so I'm OK with that. I do think it registers stairs as steps though, so you get some credit for that activity.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Ok aside from everything else
    If I just want something to measure how many steps a day I take at work?
    Suggestions??
  • leska1216
    Options
    Ok aside from everything else
    If I just want something to measure how many steps a day I take at work?
    Suggestions??

I got a pedometer about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It can be preset by you to your stride length (from toe of one foot to heel of other is one step), your step goal, a stop watch and alarm, and of course a clock. It counts your steps, your miles, your calories, steps for the last 7 days, And something else I can't remember. Easy to set and use. And no it is not expensive, about 25$ at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's a Smart Health Pedometer.
  • cookingcow
    cookingcow Posts: 78 Member
    Options

You had to replace the first? Are they unreliable then? - very expensive

Im on my second, I was a doof and accidentally took mine swimming in the ocean with me (I wore it on my suit to walk to the beach and to tan and forgot to take it off before i went diving in). Even though they are GREAT machines, they are not completely water proof... Even though they have a great tolerance for sweat. I sweat a LOT and wear mine clipped to the front of my bra right where all the "boob sweat" accumulates and have had no issues with it before.
  • sjeannie
    sjeannie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. For some reason, no matter WHERE I place the pedometer on my body, it does not count my steps. Some days it's 16 steps and some days it's 91. So weird. I would LOVE to use a pedometer...but I have given up and I refuse to pay $100 for something when all I want is a pedometer.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A couple of things - Where do you ware your pedometer? They always recommend that it be in line with your dominate leg. I ware mine on my right side, I have a friend who has better accuracy on her left side. Also if your pedometer is the kind that hinges open so that you can see the reading, every time it is open it does not record your steps. Because I am a large woman, my belly was opening that style of pedometer interfering with the reading.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem :-( I had a really good one and wore it out, then they "revamped" it and it is waaaay to sensetive. I walk to my vehicle drive to work and I'm in 3500 steps. I'm not an idiot and know how to use one just can't get it to go. So I bought a more expensive one and it is crap too. I quit wasting my money on them.