Eating less one day, more the next.

Ok, so there's a festival that I've been looking forward to going to for months tomorrow, I know that I'll probably overindulge on all the snacks sold in the stalls.

So my question is this: I have eaten half my normal portions today, to save calories for tomorrow, will this even out, or will this put me into starvation mode, and thus absorb more than necessary tomorrow?

Replies

• One day won't make a difference, but I still think don't suffer too much today. Enjoy yourself within moderation, and over the next few days workout a little harder. Everyone needs a break from their diet sometimes :D Have fun
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    One day won't make a difference, but I still think don't suffer too much today. Enjoy yourself within moderation, and over the next few days workout a little harder. Everyone needs a break from their diet sometimes :D Have fun

This. It's one day, enjoy yourself. I would say mentally set a realistic higher calorie limit for the day if you know you are going to go over, and stick to that. You are then still in control, it prevents the 'sod it, I'm having a day off, I'll eat everything in sight' attitude, but you can still enjoy yourself
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    It's completely up to you, and this is just my opinion but I would rather eat normally and workout harder to make way for the extra calories than slash my calories one day and indulge the next, probably leaving you feeling a little guilty in the process of indulging. I find if I workout, I feel better about eating more because I 'earned it.' Just my opinion though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    My plan is to have one cheat day and one fasting day every week,which makes my cals even out over the course of a week. As long as you're not starving yourself for days and days then it's not a problem. I think it takes pretty consistent starvation for your body to make those changes.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    You're probably going to be standing and walking and active all day anyways. You'll need those tasty snacks. ;)
    But yeah, people calorie cycle all the time. You'll be fine. :)
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 229 Member
    You're probably going to be standing and walking and active all day anyways. You'll need those tasty snacks. ;)
    But yeah, people calorie cycle all the time. You'll be fine. :)

^^^ This is what I was going to say. Also look at your calories over a full week and as long as it averages out to a deficit you are fine!
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    and also, since its a festival, im guessing you will be standing,jumping,dancing for most of the day? that will also burn some calories ;) have fun and dont worry!
    I have heard that its better to try to keep things "normal" around a day of indulgence instead of cutting down on calories since this will take your metabolism on a roller coaster, this was a dietician who told me this, dont know if it holds any scientific fact but i think its good to try to keep things normal and then just add a little bit more exercise.

So eat normally all days leading up to and following a day of indulgence, but just add an extra 10 minutes to each workout the following days :)

Enjoy your festival! :D
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Ok, so there's a festival that I've been looking forward to going to for months tomorrow, I know that I'll probably overindulge on all the snacks sold in the stalls.

So my question is this: I have eaten half my normal portions today, to save calories for tomorrow, will this even out, or will this put me into starvation mode, and thus absorb more than necessary tomorrow?

I read something yesterday that suggested average calories over the week...So if you eat less one day and over the next it shouldnt matter too much as long as your average is the correct EDA
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    You burn off a lot of calories at a festival! Especially if it's muddy like when I went in June!! Quite a workout for your legs.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Bump...
    I'm curious about this, my scenario slightly different but same kinda concept.

My weeks are all over the place, but I just go with what my body feels for the day. I set my goal at 1200, probably have 2 days a week that are between 1200 -1500,
    About 2 days a week that are probably below 3 - 400 and the other 3 days a week between 600 - 1200

I haven't planned this, just what I've noticed I seem to do,
    Not sure if
    It's
    Good or bad or neither ?
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    I do this regularly although I never under eat drastically.
    But all days are different for me, somedays I'm hungrier than others, others not so much, some days i eat a big dinner other days not, some days I'm constantly on the go and dont get to eat much, other days i'm on the couch lounging around!
    For me I need to be able to have flexibility so my calories vary completly from 1 day to the next!
    I am losing weight and am happy so its working for me :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

You can't go into any "starvation mode" in one day. Yes, your body doesn't really recognize the date or anything. That sounds like a very good plan. Your body actually goes more week-to-week than it does day-to-day.