Fish Oil

Options
Been reading about fish oil and i think I want to start taking fish oil supplements. Problem is I went to GNC and there are 100 different types. Any rec's on brand and dosage? I have read that 1g of EPA and DHA combined is the recommended dosage. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil every day. The brand I use is SP Standard Process Tuna Omega-3 Oil 8070. I got it from my Chiropractor's office, so I'm not sure where to purchase. (try www.luckyvitamin.com) but he said the kind you get at Walmart and even GNC could be not as good because the tuna is stream or river caught, not farm-raised. Basically you'd rather get it from a farm than swimming in the dirty river. Make sure it is farm raised.
  • broganpamela
    Options
    I worked for a doctor for many years... he was a BIG fan of fish oil. It helps every organ of your body from your skin to your liver, heart, etc.... He recommended that I take it regularly when my cholesterol was up. I started taking it regularly 3/ 1000 mg caps every morning. I made very few other modifications and my cholesterol came down and has stayed down since. I have to say that you could go into your local pharmacy or Wal-mart and purchace any of the name brands and they will do the trick for you. Good luck.
  • bevdc
    bevdc Posts: 18
    Options
    I take the prescription drug Lovaza (4 gel caps daily). My triglycerides have went from 234 to 74 in the year I've been taking it. My doctor says its better than over the counter fish oil, but nurses in his office say just to buy at walmart or health food store My beef with Lovaza is GlaxoSmithKline seem to have some big secret about the calorie values of the capsule. I repeatedly had phone conversations & emails with them, & they refer me to Doc or Pharmacy who refers me to back to GSK!! Right now I count the calories listed on Nature Made Fish Oil Caps. (50 for 4).:smile:
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I only started taking fish oil a few days ago for acne. I take 4 capsules a day, which is just about 3 grams of EPA and DHA combined, but that might be more than needed for someone without skin issues. I bought Norwegian Gold Critical Omega from Whole Foods. It's enteric coated to help with digestion and it's supposed to be "burp-free". So far it has lived up to that claim, but I also put them in the freezer to be safe.
  • PukaD312
    Options
    I take Gnc LEMON flavored fish oil gel caps everyday... I love them & they've done my body extremely well
  • brownchristian
    brownchristian Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just got back from GNC and picked up their triple strength fish oil. With my GNC card I walked out with 120 tablets for $24.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil every day. The brand I use is SP Standard Process Tuna Omega-3 Oil 8070. I got it from my Chiropractor's office, so I'm not sure where to purchase. (try www.luckyvitamin.com) but he said the kind you get at Walmart and even GNC could be not as good because the tuna is stream or river caught, not farm-raised. Basically you'd rather get it from a farm than swimming in the dirty river. Make sure it is farm raised.

Owning my disagree on this. Farm-raised fish is nutritionally deficient; they are underdeveloped and fattened similarly to veal, killed once they reach market weight. Stream or river caught is much, much healthier.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I just saw an ad for this company in the "women's health" magazine. I think I'm going to give them a try.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/3/Retailers