Exercieces twice a week and gets results?

Options
All exercise programs, plans that I know ( Turbo, P90X, Insanity, 6w6p...) requires 5 to 6 workouts a week. It's impossible for me ...even if I try I end up with 3 or 2 per week, I feel so disappointed in me and stop doing anything. What is the key for success? Is there anyone who exercises less and still gets results? I am open for suggestions...

Replies

• uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! Someone's probably suggested this but could you wake up earlier and fit in a workout? I know that's a stupid question but figured I would let it out there. I am a big fan of TurboFire but I know the time commitment is hard for some people because of their schedule's. I bought 10 Minute Solution workout dvd's at such stores like Target and Wal-Mart. They are 4-5 10 minute workouts that you can do 10 minute's here or there when you have time. It includes warm-up and cool down as well. Great for people who can't find a full 45-60 minutes to workout. Hope that helps you some.

However, I have to say when I was in Weight Watchers and just tracking my food content religiously I still lost weight without working out. But I find I feel better when I workout.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're talking weight loss results - that's more about diet anyway and the way MFP is set up with a calorie defiti built in right off the bat, you don't technically need to exercise to get weight loss results.. However, if you're talking fitness results - well, you won't get the results promised by these programs if you can't follow them exactly BUT you should get results, it will just take longer.

I agree with the PP, if you can't find a solid 30-90 minutes to do these specific workouts, try to find one that's shorter in length. It's still best to get in 30 minutes per day but you could break that up into 3 separate 10 minutes sessions - one in the morning, one around noon and one in the evening. Even if you don't want to go by videos, just go for a walk or do things in your home like push-ups, sit-ups/crunches, running in place, jumping jacks, etc (you can google at home workouts and body weight workouts for more ideas).
  • Kattienne
    Options
    Exactly I love this side effect after workout:) Have You been still in shape with 10 min workouts? I can do long workout but twice a week maybe three times.. I was wondering is there anyone who has experience with such a schedule. I think that if I find time for 10 min a day I would have it for 40 min, the problem is I simply can't overcome my procrastination:((
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I do two actual workouts a week for about an hour and a half in the gym. That, combined with a good diet, is all I've been doing for the past 4 months, and I'm over 40 lbs down already.

I occasionally go do something strenuous (yard work, etc), but that's sporadic, so I don't call that a regular workout.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For initial weightloss, just eating less than you are burning is enough, so working out is preferred but not imperative for any specific number of days a week. I work out very sporadically, 2-3times a week usually at best, but I often do squats, pushups and situps at random times, which I don't count as "workouts" because they are more for toning than sweat/cardio stuff.

Just remember that the less you workout/burn, the slower the weight will come off. And when you get down to the last 10-20lbs, you'll need to increase the workouts to keep going. this is why I'm stuck where I am. lol
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I have a ridiculous school schedule, and right now I really only work out 3-4 times a week. And when I do, it's for about 30 minutes. You could do resistance training and HIIT... Even 15 minutes of HIIT is fantastic.
    I've had good results doing this, combined with (mostly) clean eating in a deficit.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Exactly I love this side effect after workout:) Have You been still in shape with 10 min workouts? I can do long workout but twice a week maybe three times.. I was wondering is there anyone who has experience with such a schedule. I think that if I find time for 10 min a day I would have it for 40 min, the problem is I simply can't overcome my procrastination:((

What's your procrastination? The key here isn't getting you to do the workouts, but to overcome the procrastination. What do you tend to do instead of what you're supposed to?

Do you clean or putter around the house? Bump up the cleaning intensity.
    Do you surf the internet? TREAT yourself to internet, anything you want for as long as you want, AFTER 30 minutes exercise. You can even incorporate the internet into workouts (there's some pretty good things on YouTube, etc.).
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I personally know people who have dropped 50 lbs by just pretty much starving themselves..and not exercising. People get sick..they lose weight while they are in hospital beds....it's the toning the exercise mainly takes care of..that and helping you feel better. I walk every day until my body tells me to take a break...and I"m talking a hard, brisk, panting kind of walk. I am not losing weight any faster than anybody else..but I'm feeling good and losing inches faster than the lb on the scale.
    Find what you CAN do and do that..don't worry about what doesn't fit into your schedule or you are going to set yourself up for a backslide and /or fail. If you can do 10 minutes a day doing a brisk walk or something like that..start there. Baby steps :)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women program is 2-3 days a week. I believe that even if you workout a few days a week, you will still see results!

Edit: You will only see results if you are eating healthy! I believe in the saying that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have never worked out more than 2-3 times a week and I have gotten plenty of results (33# lost, and the before/after picture that is my default even with no weight loss). If you stick to your calories and work out hard when you do, you should see results. I honestly don't think working out 6 days a week is maintainable for any length of time for most adults.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    So do those worouts twice a week and on other days fit in some 10 - 20 minute workout (go to youtube for short workouts inspiration, there are plenty of them). for sure you can wake up 10 minutes earlier (or go to sleep 10 minuter later).
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying the 30 Day Shred? It's a Jillian Michael's DVD, and is only about 20-25 minutes long... and you can do it in your living room, so no travel time :) Plus it's only like $8 on Amazon.

It seems to be a popular choice on MFP... A lot of people on here have done it/are doing it and are seeing great results.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am a busy person. I have a 2 hour commute each way every M-F and my desk job keeps me away from home between 5:45 AM and 6:00 pm weekdays. When I get home, I have a house to clean and I do ferret rescue so at any given time there are between 4 to 6 small, needy animals in my house who need cleaning up after and playtime. I also model and when I have a shoot on nights or weekends, that’s like 4+ hours of standing or sitting around. I frequently have events for the ferret shelter on weekends also. I’m also married to someone who doesn’t care for exercise.

During my commute, I have to walk a mile each way. I also take my meals at my desk so I can walk at lunch instead of sitting and eating then. I usually do about a mile worth of walking at lunch, sometimes more. So I manage to get at least 3 miles of walking every week day, no matter what.

I will pick at least 2 weeknights where I will run or distance walk after work when I get home. Sometimes I do more nights, but always at least two. These runs/walks will be from 30 to 60 minutes.

As for weekends, I am determined to set aside 3 hours at least one of the days for a long walk and/or run.

I usually make time for this by giving up tv or a movie.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I only did bootcamp classes twice a week and reached my goal.
    I am currently maintaining doing 1 bootcamp class and 1 ballet class per week.

It is doable.