Philosophical Question:

Options

Replies

• Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I have always been comfortable with my own mortality, and I think that has a lot to do with my answer. (Comfortable with mortality it NOT being suicidal or in a hurry, it's just fully accepting that one day, I will die) If my death can give a child the chance to live a full life, I would gladly and contently do so. I am happy with the life I have lived, with the choices I've made, and with the experiences I have been through.

(as a side not, I'm afraid of bugs that have more legs than a spider... Please don't make it death by centipede or millipede *squirms* I would do it, but I'd rather not go down screaming like a schoolgirl!)

Stupid enter button defaulted to *submit* NOW to finish.

This is an answer to an absolute. If it weren't an absolute, I'd McGuyver the situation, and both the child and I live.
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    first instinct: yes
    if i had time to think: no. i would think about my kids being left without a mom. i would probably need therapy though, because that would just be horrible not to save someone!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has said yes is a liar!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If I was single and no children- absolutely yes.

But I am a mom and a wife- so no.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the circumstances and I can't imagine ever being in a circumstance where I'm positive I will die if I save someone else.

If I were positive i'd die, i probably wouldn't. I don't even have kids of my own to worry about. I'm just far more apt to look for help in a dangerous situation than go in on my own.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    I would rescue the child, and simply not die. There really isn't sufficient information to answer the question in my opinion. There is various situations in which if I lose my life saving the child, the child would likely not have had a chance to live in the first place or a chance to be rescued. Would I dive into a lava pit and throw half the kid to their parents? No. Kid would die and so would I. Would I throw myself into a raging river to save a kid? Yes, but first make appropriate effort to tell others so they can prepare for the next step once I retrieve the child. We also witness this in movies almost all the times, someone is about to get hit by <insert large vehicle here> and someone pushes them out of the way only for them to get hit. Which is a really stupid reaction. Not only did you endanger your life, you also endangered the life of the person you pushed. Might as well as pushed them into another car. The best reaction is to safely save someone else's life. Assess the situation and carefully plan your rescue.

Here's a more realistic approach to the question.
    You are walking along a trail you happen to frequent. You hear a child scream nearby and you decide to investigate. As you cut through the trail and spread a bush apart you find that a bear is standing intimidatingly and the child is standing there frightened, no one else is within earshot. What do you do?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am a parent of an adorable 4 year old little girl and I still answered that I would absolutely die to save someone else's child, as I hope someone would do the same if it was my child who needed saving. Yes, I am sure she would be devasted if I died, but I hope as she grew she would understand why I did it and be proud of her Mummy. She has an amazing Father and a wonderful Nana, she also has lots of Aunts, Uncles and cousins who would look after her if I were to have to leave her. I am sure of my answer because of how I have reacted in the past that I would just jump in without thought, however, I quite understand how people, especially those with kids of their own would say "No".
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If I saw a child fall through ice or run in front of a car yes I would probably rush in without thinking but someone came up to me and said if you give you life so x will live I would say no. Like others i have my own children and would not want to leave them motherless.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    A strangers child? Absolutly not. My Mum has terminal cancer, I'd gladly take her place if she were to live instead.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't. To do so would be selfish, my family need me. I would rush in and try and save anyone or any animal in need without a thought but if I had time to think "die or save someone's child" I wouldn't do it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

You are walking along a trail you happen to frequent. You hear a child scream nearby and you decide to investigate. As you cut through the trail and spread a bush apart you find that a bear is standing intimidatingly and the child is standing there frightened, no one else is within earshot. What do you do?

I would pick up a large stick, position myself next to the child, tell it everything will be alright,I would then try to piss off the bear. Next step would be to hit the child as hard as i could in the knee cap and run! I think that would work well!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Not a liar. I have risked my life for the life of a strangers child. Oh the things you do in the military! We both lived, and said child is no longer a child, and is still my penpal.

I would do it again. I wouldn't be able to look into the eyes of my own children and know I've let another child die when I could have done something about it.

Now granted, I did NOT have children when I was in the military and made that choice. Also: I likely would have made a different choice when my children were younger, but I feel that, while I still have a lot to teach them, I've laid a solid enough foundation for them to build upon without my presence. I would also consider such a death a lesson in self sacrifice and in aiding another in a time of need.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Why the hell was the kid in front of a bear driving a bus anyway? Where were the parents?
  • stevehomoki
    Options

I would pick up a large stick, position myself next to the child, tell it everything will be alright,I would then try to piss off the bear. Next step would be to hit the child as hard as i could in the knee cap and run! I think that would work well!

I almost spilled my coffee laughing.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

this.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

I almost spilled my coffee laughing.

Remember, you don't have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than one other person. Unless there are multiple bears, and then you really should reconsider where you vacation.
  • lamanderanna
    Options
    Where is this child's parent?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    As a mother, if I saw a child dart out in front of a car, my instict would be to push it out of the way in time.

However, if I knew I would have to die so the child could live, no. Like many have said, I have a son and a husband, and they need me.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yes, i would.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    At once point I wrote a check to the nation for the amount up to and including my life.

I stand by that. If my death can bring life or secure life of another - I stand willingly.

Sacrifice in this way would be the BEST example to my children. Best lesson to kids - selflessness and love for mankind above all things.