SERIOUSLY 1 LB!!!!????

Options

Replies

• SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Week 2 is notoriously bad for weight loss. It happens all the time on Biggest Loser. Next week will be better!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    <<< And yes this picture is really me and I'm not a fitness model and I achieved my success without a coach or personal trainer.
    On 09/10/12 I weighed in at 241 lbs at the Dr's office. I started using MFP, counting calories and logging in my excercises. Then on 09/14/12 I weighed in at 231 lbs! on my digital scale at home. 10 lbs in a matter of days!! cool, whos not going to be happy about that? it is a little dramatic though. Any way my weekly weigh ins are on Fridays so today I get on my scale and it reads 230 lbs. 1 lb! THATS IT!!!???? >:/ I was hoping for at least 3-4 lbs. I have no idea what happend haven't changed anything. Do you think it could be that I started my period this week? and also MFP has been telling me that I'm consuming too few calories, do you think maybe my body is in starvation mode? or maybe the 10 lbs was way too much weight to lose in such little amount of time that my body is saying to slow down. IDK but that was depressing and it made me mad. What do you all think and has this happened to you?

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

Seperating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

Ignore exercise calories because it's insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

I did it and it worked. So did a bunch of other people. My full story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    Please. Just. Stop.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It sounds like there was something wrong with one of the scales. I only use one scale so it will never be confusing. 10lbs in a couple days doesn't sound healthy! 1lb is more like it...the most I've lost in a week is 2lbs. Keep at it, only use your scale at home and you'll see those pounds drop off!

Seriously, at a starting weight of 240, one good BM and a long pee could equal 10 lbs. I would not think twice about it, but lay off the chili cheese fries for a while and see what happens.
  • akgordoa
    Options
    Firstly, starvation mode doesn't exist. It's just a reaction called Adaptive Thermogenesis. Figure out your TDEE and then take away 30%. Much better than the rubbish numbers MFP throws out.

Secondly, weight loss isn't a set scale. You won't lose a set number per week I'm afraid, and there will be more than one stall along the way. Don't just measure with a scale. :)

This.

Weight loss success is 50% determination, 30% diet and 20% exercise. With enough of each the inches will fall off.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Firstly, starvation mode doesn't exist. It's just a reaction called Adaptive Thermogenesis. Figure out your TDEE and then take away 30%. Much better than the rubbish numbers MFP throws out.

Secondly, weight loss isn't a set scale. You won't lose a set number per week I'm afraid, and there will be more than one stall along the way. Don't just measure with a scale. :)

First, thIs^^^

You started 11 days ago and have lost a pound? That is better than many people do. Keep going girl!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Make sure your home scale is accurate. If you have any weights, put it on the scale to see hoe accurate it is.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Physically impossible to lose 10 lb in 4 days. That's 35,000 calories, or almost 9,000 calories a day. So unless you ran 10 hours at a good pace each of those 4 days without eating anything, you didn't lose 10 lb and it's just a difference in scales.
  • yesi42402
    yesi42402 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and information :). Because I was so shocked about my weight at the dr.s office I did weigh my self at home the same day and unfortunately the number was the same. So either both the scales are wrong or they are both accurate. But yes, my weigh ins are on friday mornings as soon as I get up, but I go to the bathroom first. I understand that it was probably water weight but since I'm huge I thought this week I would lose a little more than 1 lb. And yes 11 lbs in 11 days is great! But you all really cheered me up so thanks for that!:tongue:
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Go to the Butcher and ask to see 1lb Lard. then you will appreciate what you have lost!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    On 09/10/12 I weighed in at 241 lbs at the Dr's office. I started using MFP, counting calories and logging in my excercises. Then on 09/14/12 I weighed in at 231 lbs! on my digital scale at home. 10 lbs in a matter of days!! cool, whos not going to be happy about that? it is a little dramatic though. Any way my weekly weigh ins are on Fridays so today I get on my scale and it reads 230 lbs. 1 lb! THATS IT!!!???? >:/ I was hoping for at least 3-4 lbs. I have no idea what happend haven't changed anything. Do you think it could be that I started my period this week? and also MFP has been telling me that I'm consuming too few calories, do you think maybe my body is in starvation mode? or maybe the 10 lbs was way too much weight to lose in such little amount of time that my body is saying to slow down. IDK but that was depressing and it made me mad. What do you all think and has this happened to you?

You weighed on two completely different scales probably at different times of the day and I'm guessing you were probably naked when you weighed at home and not when you were at the doc's. It's POSSIBLE you lost that much (WL tends to the higher end in the very beginning due to water weight loss), but unlikely.

1 pound a week is a normal amount to lose when following a healthy diet plan.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    <<< And yes this picture is really me and I'm not a fitness model and I achieved my success without a coach or personal trainer.

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

Seperating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

Ignore exercise calories because it's insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

I did it and it worked. So did a bunch of other people. My full story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    Please. Just. Stop.

seriously..you post this ALL the time!!!! I feel it could really harm people here. A LOT of people here do have issues with eating! thats how they wound up needing this site.

being able to eat enough makes me happy, and eating my exercise calories has been wonderful for me...i love food, i love to enjoy it. Being able to eat and realize i CAN and still succeed has freed me from a lot of my food related issues.
  • 724a
    724a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more on the doctor's scale. I have on all of my clothes and my appointments are usually in the afternoon. However, at home I do my weigh-ins bare and in the morning. Pick a consistent method and stick with it. Also, don't poo poo one pound. A loss is a loss in my book!

Exactly. All of these numbers are relative. I weigh myself at home in the morning before the shower. Same time of the day, every day. And my Aria scale automatically logs that weigh-in.

>>> "Pick a consistent method and stick with it." <<<

I also weigh myself at the gym after changing into the workout clothes, before starting the workout. Different times of the day but a consistent clothing and situation: before workout.

Two consistent ways to measure your progress, but different. And the doctor's office is different again. Consider each to be a different measurement, just like your waist and hips are different.

And, expect ups and downs. It happens. Good luck.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I lb is excellent...that is really all I care to lose in a week...I dont want too rapid of a weight loss...Ive been there with the fast weight loss. Slow is the way to go for me...I think losing it slowly will help you build habits that will last!

ETA:Oh yeah the scale at the Dr office always weighs me heavier than to one at home. When I go the the doc I will just ask them what I weighed last time I was there and compare with that...not to my scale at home.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Firstly, starvation mode doesn't exist. It's just a reaction called Adaptive Thermogenesis. Figure out your TDEE and then take away 30%. Much better than the rubbish numbers MFP throws ouI .

I only take away 20% which leaves 1056 calories per day. Works for me.
  • jess04j
    jess04j Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is jessica i just started 2 wks ago i've been excersing and using my fitness pal i went to the doctors and weighed 240.6 and i weighed in yesterday and the scale said 241 so you should feel happy i don't know whats going on but i don't like it :(
  • That's easy. First problem is at what time of the day you are weighing yourself. If you weigh yourself at 10 am and then eat something later and weight yourself at 12 pm then your body will be unbalanced and seem like you gained up 15 lbs in 2hrs... wtf? That is why the most optimal time is in the morning when your body is normalized after sleeping and all the bloatedness and water weight is not affecting you. Second, the scales. A doctor's office scale is much more accurate than a digital scale and also the calibrations are different. Finally, never weight yourself after a meal, after a workout, or after any activity or at different times. Always do it first thing in the morning before eating, brushing your teeth or anything. I hope that helps
  • Danielle5540
    Options
    Losing 10LB in your first week is great and normal for most people. It's most likely your water weight. Your body is adjusting to the changes of a healthy diet and if you have increased your water intake that's a huge factor to the major weight loss your first week. You have to remember that when you’re not drinking enough water your body builds up toxins and can't properly flush out your system. Don't be discouraged that your only lost 1LB the week after, your body is on the right track and it would be extremely unhealthy for you to be losing 10LB's a week because your body really would be in starvation mode. Also, all that would end up happening in starvation mode is a massive weight gain if you had a bad week and ate a few fatty foods!
    Keep up the great work and if your losing 1-3LB's per week be happy with that! In the end it’s worth it!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't really be sure you lost 10 lbs since the first was on the Dr's scale and presumably fully dressed and with food & water in your stomach. The second was at home, and I am guessing first thing in the morning and undressed. Even if it's the same clothes, there are differences in scales.

Second, 1 lb a week is great. If you consistently lose 1 lb a week, that's 4-5 pounds a month, 52 pounds in a year. Not shabby at all (very healthy, in fact, and maintainable).

Finally, yeah, if you are consistently eating below 1200 calories, there is a good chance that eventually you will have trouble keeping your metabolism high enough to lose weight. Aim for a net of 1200 (that means, if your goal is 1200 calories, eat back the exercise calories). At 240 or 230 pounds, if you're active, you should be able to lose just fine on even more.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and information :). Because I was so shocked about my weight at the dr.s office I did weigh my self at home the same day and unfortunately the number was the same. So either both the scales are wrong or they are both accurate. But yes, my weigh ins are on friday mornings as soon as I get up, but I go to the bathroom first. I understand that it was probably water weight but since I'm huge I thought this week I would lose a little more than 1 lb. And yes 11 lbs in 11 days is great! But you all really cheered me up so thanks for that!:tongue:

We'll do some simple math here.

11lbs * 3,500 cal/lb = 38500 calories
    38500 calories / 11 days = 3,500 cal net burned a day

Now go to your diary and take your daily caloric consumption, I can't see your diary but gto be generous I'll assume you're eating 1200.

3500 = X - 1200
    X = 4700 calories to burn a day

Then subtract your BMR, lets just say its 1500 for arguments sake.

3200 calories is how much you have to burn through normal daily activity and exercise.

Ways to accomplish this (must be done daily)
    160 Minutes of running 8 mph (7.5 minute miles, or 21 miles in under 3 hours)
    500 Minutes of walking (2.5mph, liesurely, or walked almost 21 miles, just over 8 hours time)
    150 Minutes of swimming at a fast pace with vigorous effort.

So, like I said before, these losses are impossible short of a serious ailment, surgery, or losing a limb in a tragic accident. Weight loss done right is a marathon, not a sprint. Realize what is realistic and settle in for a long haul because that's how it's done properly.

1lb a week is perfect, keep up the good work, I suspect that much at least is legitimate.
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that your scale at home and your doctor's scale are not the same. No two scales are created equal, I weigh 15-20 pounds more on my mom's digital scale than I do on my analog one at home. My suggestion is to pick one and stick with it, give it more than 2 weeks and do your measurements as well. There is almost no way that you lost 10 pounds in 4 days unless you were deathly ill.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^agree^^^^^^^^^ You would need to amass a calorie deficit of 35,000 to lose 10 pounds, so to do it in 4 days I think that means you need to decrease by 8750 calories a day or burn it off in exercise, doesnt seem logically possible! It has to be a scale discrepancy. Use the one at home you have regular access to and celebrate that 1 pound weight loss in a week because it is good! Next week when TOM is over you may see an ever bigger one.