Binging

Options
Hello,
For the past couple of months I've had a hard time with being healthy and I've constantly struggled with binges every couple of days. In fact, it's been so bad I've already started putting on weight. How do you get back on track and stop the binges? This is the worst it's been for me as I've been struggling for several months now. Thanks!

Replies

• kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    After a binge, exercise the next day like nobody's business. It helps emotionally.
  • sariannach
    Options
    I try to focus on right here, right now, and make good choices for where I am.

Last night my thoughts were: It'd be easier to get takeout. I'm tired. I don't want to cook. But going grocery shopping (calorie burn), minimal cooking (calorie burn), and eating (healthier food that I've chosen) is better for me right now. And in a few hours, I won't wake up hungry and grumpy. (ETA: the soup I made was way tastier than the cheeseburger I was thinking about!)

There's a line in Leonard Cohen's song Anthem that sums it up:
    "Don't dwell on what has passed away, or what is yet to be"

You are here.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    After a binge, exercise the next day like nobody's business. It helps emotionally.

This. Now that I'm building an excersise routine, if I know I did badly one day I up the time or intensity of my workout the next day and I sweat out the guilt. It doesn't remove the feeling entirely, but it is a good coping mechanism.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I used to do that, but it is a form of purging and isn't exactly healthy. And it can actually lead to more binging if you aren't getting enough calories on the days that you work out like crazy.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Just breathe, Let it go. Figure out what is triggering these binges. There has to be something, whether emotional or physical hunger.

Make sure you're eating enough calories per day, then start finding the triggers..

Learn to control them. Say, I get stressed and eat... I try to destress with other things...relax more. Stay out of the kitchen, talk to someone. If you can talk about it, holds you more accountable.

I'm sorry you're going through binges, they're tough.
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear everyone's suggestions about this. I have actually gained 8lbs and 1.5" around my waist since joining MFP back in May because of the same thing :sad:
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm just trying to take it day by day and do the best I can.
  • steamboat072964
    Options
    You know what, we are all human and exercise and eating perfectly everyday is hard. I workout six days a week and I eat good all day long until I get home. I have my dinner and then sit down for a couple of TV shows and everything goes to heck. The candy comes out, the chips and everything else where I just say a few won't hurt. Unfortunately for me, a few turns into more and in the end, I feel guilty and terribly but I just can't help these evening cravings. I am thinking about doing some sort of cleanse to clean my system out and then try to start eating much better but I am not even sure if I can stick to a cleanse. I hear you.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    There's a group if you want to join: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group. The group is a good one, lots of support.

My biggest recommendation is to log every bit of your binges and to pay attention to WHY you binge. Boredom, stress, etc are common triggers. Also, take it one day at a time. Focus on getting through the day, hour, minute, whatever to help yourself not give in. Find something to do to take your mind off of it. Try to not keep trigger foods in the house.

I do NOT recommend this as it can lead to a bad cycle of binging/crazy exercise. If you want to add a little extra exercise the next day, knock yourself out, but don't think you need to exercise for 5 hours straight to burn off what you ate. It may help in the short term, but you're not addressing the real problem of WHY.
  • lottie_28
    Options
    You could be bingeing due to not eating enough, or feeling deprived of certain foods. I think you should evaluate what you eat on a normal day, and if needed, up your calories. Try to also include a small amount of your favourite foods (or binge foods if you can), so that you don't feel so deprived.