Baby got too much back?

Options
So here is the issue. I enjoy wearing dresses, they're easy and fun. However, my torso is smaller than my thighs and booty. Yes, I'm sure everyone is looking for that hour glass figure, smaller in the middle and a little curve on the bottom, but I'm not really THAT tiny in the middle. It is enough, though, that when I buy a dress that fits on top I am a stuffed sausage on the bottom. When I buy a dress that fits the bottom, the top is usually too loose. My dress collection very limited and I would love to build upon it as a new teacher to help with my professionalism.

I think most people's solution would be, find a good taylor. This costs more money than I really have at the moment.

Does anyone have a good solution?

-KZ

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I learned to sew. You local sewing machine sales and repair shop (usually also carries vaccum cleaners) probably gives lessons. Buy the book Sewing For Dummies. They even have Sewing for Dummies patterns out there. At first, stick with patterns labeled easy, or 1 hour or 2 hour patterns. Buy your fabric on sale.

I did this myself, as a teacher and a new mother (with little to no money). You can get a decent beginner's machine for about $100 new, or you can find a decent used one for less. Within a year of teaching myself to sew, I made all the women in my family coats for Christmas. It is not nearly as hard as people think, and as you are following the directions, you don't necessarily have to be a "creative" or "crafty" person.

Dressmakers dummies can be expensive, but once you learn the basics, an adjustable dummy will help you to tailor your own clothes. I spend an average of $2-$10 in making a piece of clothing. And it's kind of fun.

Hey, try it, you might like it.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Get a different style of dress. A-line would work well. Also, alterations can be done quite cheaply and well if you look around
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're a pear shape. I have the same problem, since I gain weight mostly in my hips and thighs. I have dresses that are loose in the upper body and belly (although my belly still isn't flat), and snug around my hips and thighs.

Look for dresses that are fitted at the top, then A-line below that. Look for styles that have a waist-line, like an empire waist. A belt can also cinch it in around your waist to make a better fit.

I would avoid any straight style dresses as they will be loose on top, fitted on bottom, and that will make the midsection "blousy" in my experience, making it look like you have a bigger belly.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble maybe go for separates.. look for tops and bottoms that when put together they flow like a dress. A-line skirts are great when you are larger on the top.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses FTW! I have the exact same problem and I find anything that flares below the bust makes me look bigger than I am - but wrap dresses seem to fit me ok - might be to do with the skirt being bias cut *shrugging*
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Get a different style of dress. A-line would work well. Also, alterations can be done quite cheaply and well if you look around

^^ I second this opinion. A good place to start looking for a tailor, is you local JoAnn's bulletin board. I found a reasonably priced tailor to alter my clothing as I go down in size. Typically they are just starting out or are looking to build clientele. My tailor does it out of her home and does a great job. Sometimes you can get really lucky this way.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Look for a seamstress! Ask around to your other teacher friends. Do they know a good seamstress with reasonable prices? I found that a co-worker's mom does very good work. Both seamstresses I have had charge $10 or less for altering pants or taking in dresses.