Exercise. 30 min X 1 or 10min X 3?

Options
Cardio (I use the elliptical)

Is it better to do three 10 minute workouts?
Or one 30 minute workout?

NOT including warm-up. I only count "workouts" once my heart rate is at 75% .
That's my personal preference, yes im aware I can log all of it.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

:flowerforyou:
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have read in a weight loss book that spacing out small workouts boost metabolism, which makes sense. But to build strength would think 30 min workout would be more effective. I am older and really over weight, so I am am doing workouts thru out the day. Course my workouts are not to a cardio dvd. I can do yoga for 20 min. My goal is working in yard for 20 min at a time 3xs a day.

So if you are able to do 30 min at one time great, Try to do 2xs a day (or more).

Ok you got me inspired to get off my butt. Off to walk the dog for 15. Now that is a work out as he is awful on leash!

Looking forward to what others have to say on this!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's better to do the 30 minutes at once. You'll burn more calories overall. You also are more likely to dip into your reserves, which makes your body replace them and add to them, increasing your metabolism.

There was an article in a fitness magazine not to long ago, sorry I didn't keep the link or I'd share it
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i also heard and have read a couple times that more frequent smaller workouts is better. theres been times when ive had to divide my workout in 2 or 3 times but i usually try and get it all done at once
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you want to build endurance you need to go for the longer time...I have read that short workouts are good, but I just can't get into a workout that last 10 mins no matter how much I put into it.
    I would go with the longer one, and use the short workouts only when needed...
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear opinions on this also. The Engineer in me thinks that 3x10 could possibly be more beneficial. Your body still continues to burn calories at a faster rate than normal for a while after you quit working out. Assuming that you burn the same calories during the two different workouts and the cool down rate is at the same pace, it seems like the calories burned during the three cool down periods of the 3x would exceed the cool down calories of the 1x.

Note: This is based totally on conjecture and not on any facts at all.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think it depends...if you're going to do one 30-minute workout and half *kitten* it, I'd rather do three 10-minute workouts and rock it.
  • Lys2
    Lys2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Runner's World pretty much counts the two as equal; ex--if you don't have a big block of time for a long run, do 2 shorter runs in the same day. To build endurance you do have to increase workout time, but to increase fitness/overall health, the more movement throughout the day the better:

"Your body craves movement. So yes, you can improve strength and fitness with those 20-30 minutes, but *health*will*remain*unchanged*if*you’re*inactive*the*rest*of*the*day*. Not enough people understand that. They think that their workout is enough because it was intense or whatever. But fitness and health are 2 separate things."
    --Thierry Sanchez http://kettlebellfitnessdk.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/the-benefits-of-standing-up-more-often/

So...20min x 4 would be even better!
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with nabak. Lately I've done what I have time for. I'm down 65 pounds and it's because I honestly will pop on and off my machines whenever I have a second. I know longer would be better but I don't always have 30 minutes straight.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals ,ie what do you expect from workout

if youre looking for endurance/good hgh boost 30 *1 is benificial

if youre looking to boost metabolism 10*3 is better
  • Alyxander100
    Alyxander100 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I say it totally depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are going for weight loss, then the 30 min is you thing since it is all about the BPMxmin to burn calories. In order to burn fat you have to make your body dip into your fat reserves. 30 mins is the minimum to get your body to do that. 45 mins at optimum BPM is more productive, if you can hack it.

If you are trying to tone, firm and sculpt then the 3x10min would be better, but dont space them out too long, you need your body to stay warm to get anything done. As acdchica said, if you half-*kitten* any of it then it is all worthless. You gotta bust *kitten* either way to get results.

Personally I would recommend 3x15mins with 3 min intervals between sets - keeps you warm, but gives you a small rest to towel off, get some water and then get back into it. As always listen to your body...except when it whines and tells you to stop! thats when you give it the middle finger and do another rep!
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    I think, personally for me.. im looking to burn the most fat. So keeping my metabolism high is key. I know it also gives me more energy when i exercise, of course..

Typically, i have used the elliptical for 30, 45 or 60 minutes at a time and i get BORED as crap. I cannot run outside. I have to have controlled temp. because i have moderate to severe COPD and i am borderline at needing oxygen for exercise.

I run 30-60 minutes 4 times a week, and while i dont eat "green" i dont eat junk either.. but im always under calorie goal. (not by TOO much) and im slowly losing, (by slowly, i mean this week it was 0.1 pounds.. last week.. half a pound.

SO, im going to switch it up and try 3-4 times a day for 10-15 minutes each. See if that helps.

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming!!

PS.. I read (using google) that in a study group, by doing the same intensity workouts 10 minutes, 3 times a day, its better to lower BP and also you have less chance of BP "spikes" throughout the day! Hmm, something to think about! =)
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goal is. If you are doing the workout for endurance, go for the longer one. If you've got the time, why wouldn't you anyway? If you are slipping in quick workouts when your time is tight and you just need a calorie burn, go for the short 10 minute workout. I use the shorter (20 minutes) workouts for mornings that I get up late, and keep my longer ones (2-3 times per week) on the days when I've got more time to dedicate. Good luck!
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    I say it totally depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are going for weight loss, then the 30 min is you thing since it is all about the BPMxmin to burn calories. In order to burn fat you have to make your body dip into your fat reserves. 30 mins is the minimum to get your body to do that. 45 mins at optimum BPM is more productive, if you can hack it.

If you are trying to tone, firm and sculpt then the 3x10min would be better, but dont space them out too long, you need your body to stay warm to get anything done. As acdchica said, if you half-*kitten* any of it then it is all worthless. You gotta bust *kitten* either way to get results.

Personally I would recommend 3x15mins with 3 min intervals between sets - keeps you warm, but gives you a small rest to towel off, get some water and then get back into it. As always listen to your body...except when it whines and tells you to stop! thats when you give it the middle finger and do another rep!

I agree 30 minutes is minimal, but i do not count my 10 minute warm up and cool down. Im only speaking of hard sweaty working out... and i dont do anything half-assed. LOL
  • erindh87
    Options
    I've seen varying opinions on this from multiple sources, so I couldn't tell you which is truly best. One source I've read in favor of 30 minutes at once (from Jillian Michaels possibly) said that you'd get a longer afterburn. I've also read that doing multiple short sessions boosts your metabolism several times during the day which helps with overall burn.

I would think the best one would be whichever you will stick with. You could always do a combination of the two during the week.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Personally I get more out of 3 x 10 minutes sessions because I am relatively out of shape and when I am trying to do a solid 30 minutes I get worn out about 15-20 minutes in and am no longer able to give it my all. If I do three ten minute bursts, though, I am able to go nuts for the full ten minutes and finish feeling like I did it and I accomplished my small 10 minute goal instead of barely finishing, or eve worse not being able to finish the 30 minutes and feeling like I am a weak failure. I always work, though, with the intent of one day being able to move up to two 15 minute sessions and eventually a solid 30 minutes (and more!)
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    Personally I get more out of 3 x 10 minutes sessions because I am relatively out of shape and when I am trying to do a solid 30 minutes I get worn out about 15-20 minutes in and am no longer able to give it my all. If I do three ten minute bursts, though, I am able to go nuts for the full ten minutes and finish feeling like I did it and I accomplished my small 10 minute goal instead of barely finishing, or eve worse not being able to finish the 30 minutes and feeling like I am a weak failure. I always work, though, with the intent of one day being able to move up to two 15 minute sessions and eventually a solid 30 minutes (and more!)

Thats excellent! Im really glad you are working harder toward your goals!

My issue isnt endurance.. sort of. I can run on the elliptical for 60 minutes, but i get bored. I always give it my all, but im wondering if i give 110% 3 times a day for say.. 15 minutes. if its better? Hmm.. who knows. LOL! Guess ill just try it & see what happens! =)