Anyone who was or is a Binge Eater?

Options
What did you do to overcome this!? I need help. I eat to live. Once i start i can not stop. (so i feel i can't) I know i can but how can i overcome this problem.
What steps or actions did you take to stop binge eating? Please help!

Karen

Replies

• katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    it's something i have an issue with. the only thing i can do to help is to NOT BUY the stuff i'd binge on. I can't buy multi packs and have a little a day, it just doesn't work.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do would be to discover the reasons why you binge eat. I'd suggest going to a therapist or counselor to see if you can find what triggers you.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have not but did you happen to see Doctor Oz on Wednesday. It was all about Binge eating and I think that you would rethink what you are doing if you seen it. It made me rethink alot of stuff I do.
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What I have done is forced myself to eat 6 small meals a day so that i don't wait till the end of the day to eat everything I felt like I was missing out on.... waiting till the end of the day to eat all those calories is never good!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and it makes me feel so out of control...I hate it! :(
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Bump. I used to be a binge eater, got really good about controlling urges, but they're back (the urges and the binges, I mean) :grumble:
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used to binge and purge quite badly, taking laxatives etc etc.

I think the best way is to find your 'trigger' foods/emotions. Is it stress/boredom/change? Once you have identified that you can work towards it.

Firstly I don't have anything 'bad' in the flat, so if i feel the need to binge I need to go out specifically to buy it, this brings up a few problems for me and helps me become deterred. 1) I dont want to feel judged about buying the amount of crap I will be and 2) I'm in a low paying job and dont really have spare cash to do this. So those help stop me.

If that isnt a problem and I'm in a 'screw what people think mood' I have to stop myself and ask myself questions 'do I really want this?' ' is it gonna make me happy' 'will it help me reach my goals' etc etc.

Hope this helps!
  • Sillykitty88
    Options
    I had a problem with Binge Eating, and probably still do, I just maintain it better. The only thing that will change you is discovering why you do it and sheer will power, wanting to stop. There is no easy quick fix. There are tips to help you stop the cravings, but once you are addicted to binging, it doesn't just go away. It's a constant struggle, you just have to fight to win.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Being a binge eater and having binge eating disorder are very different things. I developed binge eating disorder after losing a lot of weight, and the whole time I suffered with it I maintained my weightloss because I would restrict for most of the week then would purposfully set out to sabotage myself for two or three days over the weekend, sometimes forcing myself to eat upwards of 5000 calories until I couldn't move from the floor where I lay in self disgust... :tongue:

It took me a few months of eating NORMALLY to overcome it. Normally, as in, NOT restricting or 'dieting' ever, & learning what regular portions are, & learning that if I allow myself something that I'm craving, like a chocolate bar, the fact that I ALLOW myself to have it means that it isn't up on a pedestal any more and I end up not wanting that stuff as much. In the process of recovering, I gained 10lbs. But that is irrelevant as I now consider myself fully recovered and have changed my habits FOR LIFE!

I've already lost those 10lbs + a few more by changing my lifestyle to a more balanced & 'health/fitness' orientated one...I no longer want to starve my body or be 'skinny'. I want to be well fed, healthy and strong. I enjoy all sorts of healthy foods now that I used to hate. And my palette has changed. I have a day once a week where I can literally eat anything I want, but funnily enough, usually I crave healthier things...like tomorrow for my 'cheat' day I'm going to have a huge packet of dark chocolate covered brazil nuts, which, granted aren't THAT healthy, but sure are better for me than a family size packet of M&M's, which now taste like CRAP to me. Like cardboard children food. I stay away from fake foods now, as the chemicals trigger binges. You need to eat a wholefoods diet in order to get all the physical cravings out of your system, then work on the MENTAL relationship with food X
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do would be to discover the reasons why you binge eat. I'd suggest going to a therapist or counselor to see if you can find what triggers you.

^this

Eating disorders are a form of mental disorder, and they happen because of reasons that a lot of times you don't realize or know. I struggled with depression, anxiety, and ed for almost my entire life. I'm not the kind of person who likes therapists, but it does work wonders for many people and if you are the sort of person who likes to talk, I would HIGHLY recomend seeing someone to talk it out. binge eating is a symptom of a larger problem, and it's one that's completely manageable.

Love yourself, because you are worth loving. Do the thigns that make you happy, develop an excersise routine, and remember to slow down when you feel the urge to binge. I;ve come a long way in the past year with all of this , ed included, and I"ll be honest that no part of the journey is easy. But you can do it because you deserve it and you're worth it. I'll send you a friend request and we can talk more if you like.

I started changing this habit by making myself write out a list of reasons why I wanted to eat something, and then all the cons of doing so. The act of pausing to take the time and the actual writing made me analyze what I was doing and prevented it. I don't carry money with me anymore unless I know I need it (like when I'm starting to run low on gas or a bill is due) because that way I avoid unecessary food spending. Only shop of pre-determined shopping lists, and never shop hungry.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For me, it was one of the those "hard at the start habit" things.
    Once I've got off the bad eating for a couple of weeks it's a hell of a lot easier to stick to it.
    Still have occasional week moments, but about from a bout of gastritis, have managed to keep them to a day at the most.
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    I understand! From my experience its mind of matter, you just have to make thats decsion to not do it. I had to be very scheduled with my diet no deciding what to eat no waiting until your hungry, you really have to change you views on what you think of food as. And beyond that just take it one day at a time, Its something that doesnt just go away it takes some work and im still working on it but thats what i have found to be true:)
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What I have done is forced myself to eat 6 small meals a day so that i don't wait till the end of the day to eat everything I felt like I was missing out on.... waiting till the end of the day to eat all those calories is never good!

This exactly!!!
    I have always been a binge eater and the last couple years since I started working from home made it worse. I never thought eating six meals a day would work, but it has big time!!!! I am so happy and I really don't feel like going crazy for the first time in my life!
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options

yes i did this also....it works very well
  • HKooner
    Options
    I’ve been there trust me!!!...what I do now is have 5 small healthy meals a day and whenever I get the urge to binge I tend to drink lots of water or snack on fruit or protein bars.
    The first 3 days are the hardest, but for me I noticed that my urge to binge eat started to disappear after that.
    I think Binge eating is also a lot to do with boredom as well.
    If you are ready to make a change in your life then you need to make the right choices when you eat...always try and think about healthy foods......it’s hard.....but not impossible....Good Luck!!!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    If you look up Binge Eating is it actually a form of an Eating Disorder. I have Binge Eating and Compulsive Eating problems both. I am currently in a program which involves a counsellor and a dietician to learn to have better coping skills for the stresses in my life. Unfortunatley, my parents (and their parents) did not have the skills to teach me to use other things than food to help deal with stress/anxiety. I will be learning things like delaying--going for a walk, taking a bath, talking with someone, etc. rather than trying to go into a food coma while eating. I stopped binge-eating for a year when I joined Overeater's Anonymous--I quit it after a few months because it is too radical/religous for me--but when a HUGE MAJOR stress came into my life I started with the binge and compulsive eating again. Thankfuly, this program came along to help. I wish you much love and support as you work through this. Take care!!
  • NinjaBeth90
    Options
    I was a binge eater - me and my partner would usually skip breakfast or lunch or both someday's then eat EVERYTHING when we'd get home from work all night. . We'd snack before dinner, then have a huge unhealthy dinner then snack on crisps (multi packs), chocolate and cakes.. This was basically every night.. Then one day we both realised enough was enough, we hated how we looked and had low self esteem. Since we've started MFP we just don't buy them anymore so that we're not tempted to eat them. But as the weeks have passed we've started not to miss them at all. . were so focused on the bigger picture and what we want to achieve by doing this. . . It does get easier :smile:
  • rlcarlson5468
    rlcarlson5468 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask the same question today. Last night I lost total control and had a binge session that was really bad. I haven't had one like this in a long time. Today I feel so sick that it's hard to concentrate on work. I like the idea of eating 6 small meals. I have never tried that. I was one to save up as many calories until the end of the day and stuff myself. I would usually be so hungry that I would overeat my calories for the day. I am going to try the 6 meals and see how it goes. I've been binging (I have the disorder & have been to therapy) for 30+ years and I want to stop.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I tried all the tips and tricks to stop binging, I ate in moderation, I tried to stop myself, but the desire to binge didn't go away. Therapy was the only thing that actually helped me with removing the DESIRE to binge. Binging is psychological, it's deriving comfort from filling yourself with a substance. Literal "fulfillment". It has nothing to do with actual hunger (I imagine you still eat past the point of not being truly hungry anymore), and more to do with filling an emotional void.