Spinoff: One DIET/FITNESS book everyone should read?

Options
Saw a thread about books in general, and it made me wonder if people have books about diet and fitness that they believe are not to be missed.

I vote for "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Sets conventional wisdom on its ear and may have changed my life completely (for the better).

Replies

• stevehomoki
    Options
    I'll write one single page book.
    Weight loss= Calories In < Calories Out
  • msmindylee
    Options
    OMG, who KNEW??

Srsly, though, if it were really just exactly that simple - and only that simple - do you really think there would be such a huge prevalence of obesity and other serious health problems?

It's neat and uncomplicated and it fits in a nice clean package, but I don't buy it. I get that, for some people, it's great and works fine. I'm 51 years old, been in the struggle for most of my adult life, and I'm here to tell you, for me, there's more to it.

But more power to ya. I'm completely serious there, not trying to be sarcastic or anything. :smile:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    a graduate level nutrition textbook would be my recommendation.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes? Isn't that the guy that has been debunked a hundred times over? Or am I thinking of someone else?

My recommendation is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Nutrition for Life by Catherine Saxelby
  • TeacherAnge
    TeacherAnge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    #1 - This is Why You're Fat - Jackie Warner

#2 - The Womens Health Big Book of Exercises
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Women Food and God by Geneen Roth right now... more about behaviours and our relationship to food than actual dietting.
  • JLand918
    Options
    The Primal Blueprint for sure.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    I like the Spark People book. Also, When Food is Love by Geneen Roth, is good if you're working through emotional eating issues.