Anyone who was or is a Binge Eater?

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater. I have lots of emotional issues, PTSD, depression etc. The only thing that cures my binging is to avoid grain, legumes, sugar, artificial sweeteners and limit high fructose fruit. And by eating LOTS of fat (limiting or avoiding certain kinds such as canola and soy) and protein. All my health problems (lots of physical ones too) have been resolved by eating this way. I can even have trigger foods in the house without being tempted to eat them. When I switched to eating this way, it took less than a week to lose the need to binge and about two weeks for all the other issues to go away.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    I'm a recovering binge eater. I still have setbacks once in a while, but it's nothing like it was in my 20s. You kind of have to get to the root of WHY you're doing it. I was doing it because I was terribly unhappy with my life. Eating made me feel "full," something I wasn't getting from anywhere else.

It has to be a conscious decision every day. You have to make life choices. When I find myself about to shovel more food in my mouth, I get up and play with our kitty, or walk outside to let the air blow on my face, or sometimes even just sit and look at silly YouTube videos until I calm down. I make a list of all the things I'm happy about, or I talk to friends online. All I need is that moment of distraction, you know?

Much much luck and good wishes to you!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was when I suffered from an eating disorder and, whilst I don't binge in that way anymore I do still find it easy to lose control. If I don't have nice things in the house it helps but then, if desperate, I would resort to cooking chocolate or anything I can find!

I do believe that the key is:

not to keep trigger foods in the house
    to eat regularly
    to eat good foods- rubbish foods seem to just trigger a binge
    to keep busy
    if all else fails, go to bed to sleep!

But even though I know all this, sometimes I struggle. You are not on your own.

Thinking of you xxx
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Melissa and I'm a Binge eater. There are periods where I, too, live to eat. I used to feel like there was something wrong with me because I couldn't control it. So, you are not alone.

Finally, somehow at age 50, I have finally overcome alot of that stuff. But it still rears it's ugly head and sneaks up on me.

So, trigger foods - I just don't keep them in the house. I don't know if I can control myself. Another thing, I exercise hard at least 4x a week to reverse the damage from when I do binge.

Been logging my food on MFP for over a year. That has helped me alot. I tend not to binge so bad when I know I have to log it. I also keep my diary open. Weigh myself every day too.

Something else that works well for me - start the day off with a very low sugar type of small meal. Seriously, I eat a single egg - no toast or anything else. It's nutritious and satisfies me until about 11 am - then it's about lunch time. If I eat something like cereal, or waffles, or pastries - I'm in trouble. The sugar sets me off and I'm craving the rest of the day and I may as well give it up.

Good luck!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Man I used to get high and eat freaking everything in sight - and literally didn't move 4 days out of the week from the bed except to get food. I started to get dissapointed in myself and told myself "Dude Ben, get ahold of yourself, its freaking ridiculous". Took a few mess ups but 6th times the charm! Its a hard addiction to overcome, but I think you definatly need will power - for anything in life. Meditation helped me alot too - with even greater things in life :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional binge eater. Nothing severe enough to be counted as a disorder. I improved a lot when I started calorie cycling to allow myself days of higher calories, taking away some of the urge to binge. A friend of mine passed away on Monday and I've been binging on and off all week as a result, but my binges are much reduced compared to what they used to be.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do would be to discover the reasons why you binge eat. I'd suggest going to a therapist or counselor to see if you can find what triggers you.

This.
    Generally there is an underlying issue that you may not be aware of. It is always best to talk to a therapist that specializes in binge eating or eating disorders in general. When I started to seek help years ago regarding my depression and PTSD, the ED therapy came to light as well. I never realized where my ED came from. It is still a struggle, as with any disease. But you can overcome it. I also find it helps to not have the stuff in my house nor trigger foods. I keep busy by reading or doing crafts.
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    Options
    I used to be... Had to get drastic and have Gastric bypass. I also DO NOT buy my binge trigger foods anymore, or ask my family to purchase them for me. Very hard to change!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Oh I am a closet binger. Last time I had a Binge it turned out I went for lower calorie foods Popcorn, pickles, some Doritoes but I counted them out. Pita bread with Hummus. Funny thing I used to hate Hummus. I really stuffed myself it felt like I ate Christmas Dinner. I had to unbutton and unzip my pants. Turned out it was 590 calories but I don't even know what I used to do. One tip I drew a circle and put my Initial on it then drew a line in it. Cookies, doritoes, Ice cream any junk food I could find. But I did can't seem to get rid of the Doritoes but I count them out and only allow myself to eat them every other day and make sure I burn the calories, Clean house etc. It makes you think. Another tip brush your teeth some people say they won't eat after they brush their teeth, doesn't bother me though. Sugar free gum, mints, do be in the kitchen. Take a shower. Get on My fitness. I love it.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    I love food. I do very good through the day but starting MFP has helped me to see where I was eating non needed calories. I don't understand it, I am strong enough if my family goes out to eat, I eat the salad bar and stay strong but when night time comes I find myself thinking of things I can eat. I bought some cheese sticks and will just nibble on one if the urge gets too strong sometimes I even have to go to bed or I know I will find something else. I see now where I put on my extra pounds. Now I have to find something else to do to take the place of eating at night.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do this too. My first rule is not to put stuff in the house that I would binge on - no cake, cookies, brownies, chips, debbie snacks, etc.

I still have breakthrough binges in times of stress - so I Started reading "FOOD: the Good Girl's Drug". It's been helpful...
  • debiw1234
    Options
    Last night all night as a matter of fact. ARG! But I can't change what I ate last night but I can refocus and change what I eat today. I can't have anything in the house that is sweet or salty and then when I can't find those I eat whatever else isn't nailed down. Although I am getting much better thanks for many friends here on MFP. Good luck!
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Most times I can get by with an apple, half banana, small bowl oatmeal, thin slice of deli ham or turkey, piece of broccoli. But sometimes I can't find the bottom, especially late at nite! I try to keep fresh steamed broccoli in the fridge all the time. I do not use butter, maybe some olive oil spray butter or a bit of spritz salad sprays. Pepper or Italian herb. No salt or fats. 1 Cup is usually more than enough to quell the binge grimlen and is about 30 calories. Regardless of what you do to satisfy or get by, count everything. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a really weird strategy to stop me binge eating...
    I found that even though I stopped buying bad foods in my weekly shopping, it just encouraged me to run out to the shop up the road and buy 3 bars of galaxy or whatnot.

So.. to stop this I developed a weekend fund which is basically a jar in my kitchen.. everytime I find myself giving in and wanting to go and buy something unhealthy (in a large quantity) I either limit myself to 1 small item and calculate how much money I've saved by not buying the multiple items or just don't buy anything at all and calculate how much money I've saved myself to put in the jar...

for example if I had a craving for a tub of ben and jerrys cookie dough ice cream.. I would stop myself from buying it, look for a low cal alternative and use the money it would've cost me (£5) - put it in my jar and then use it at the weekend to buy clothes,make up, anything I wanted to treat myself :)

might not be practical for everybody but it works for a shopaholic like me :D
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that far more people have this issue that we realize. For me, it was all about making changes to my routine, rather than searching for a root cause in my emotions (I think I just plain love food...who doesnt?)...I rarely binge lately and here is how I helped myself...

I dont keep stock of the food that I love in the house...EVER. I will consume all of it immediately. That is just who I am.

I buy healthy food on Sunday and do my best to prepare my meals for the week. They are all healthy and in-line with my diet plan. I dont slip up when I already know what I will eat that day.

I find foods that I love that are healthy. A few examples are sugar free Popsicles, smoothies that I make at home with Stevia rather than sugar, organic chicken, etc. I wont binge on these items, but I look forward to eating them and if I overeat, its not as bad as if I binged on ice cream

I log everything I eat, even if I'm not proud of myself, because I want to see it in writing. Next time, I hope that I do better. It motivates me not to binge when I see what I would weigh in five weeks when I overeat.

I try to keep my hormones balanced. I read a book by Jackie wArner called 'This is why your fat and how to get thin forever' It talks about how to keep your hormones balanced so you dont crave sugars like you did before. I found it very helpful.

Lastly, I know this sounds crazy, but one of the best things I have done is is getting Invisalign! I was just wanting to straighten a snaggle tooth (nothing to do with weight loss), and I was surprised to find that the process really keeps you from grazing. It also makes you want to drink a ton of water...two things that I am thrilled about. I think that I will always want to wear my clear retainer, even after my tooth is straightened!

best of luck to you; you are far from alone here!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Things that have helped me:

1) Know your limits and 'make trades'. If I really want fries at lunch, I'll order the sandwich without the bun or if it's a restaurant that brings bread before the meal, make sure to tell the server to NOT bring the bread. Don't avoid the carbs, just make sure you take control over how you have them.

2) Know you're going to journal EVERYTHING. 'nuf said.

3) don't buy stuff you can't not eat. If it's stuff the family really likes, have the family put it somewhere where you can't readily see it. Yes, have them hide the food. Or just make sure it isn't on the counters for you to see.

4) If you decide you're hungry and just have to have something to eat, have a protein or fruit or veggie FIRST. THEN have the handful of chips. You'll be less likely to over do it.

5) If you do buy bags of chips, invest in the small snack-size ziplock bags, and portion them out. Either that or buy the snack bags size from the store. It really does help! I have a "snack bag" that ONLY MINE! I have protein bars in it, snack size bags of pretzels, sometimes I'll even get the dove dark chocolate promises, but some in there, and have the husband hide the rest.

There are a lot of things I do to not keep things in the house. I love queso dip, but can't keep it in the house. BUT I can go to Don Pablo's for lunch every now and then and get a kids portion, count out 8 tortilla chips, and work it in without it killing my food journal for the day. And no leftovers!

I live near Indianapolis and Peapod is a grocery delivery service here. I LOVE IT. It has cut down on impule buying a LOT. If you're able to take advantage of such a thing in your area, then it's worth it. Walgreen's also has "Web Pickup" for a few miscellaneous things that Peapod may not carry, or I can't wait for the delivery date I've picked....it's a free service, AND they'll even bring it out to your car.

At work, I bought a small dorm fridge that's next to my desk. I got it so I wouldn't have to keep things in the office fridge and go in the kitchen where there's a constant supply of chips, cookies, cakes, whatever. Sometimes, I can't not partake. This way, I've got my water in the fridge, some yogurt, some light string cheese, grape tomatoes, and just had a chicken ceasar salad. If I get hungry and want a snack, there's plenty of things I like in my fridge and I don't have to be near or see the badness in the kitchen.

Increase fiber. Chocolite bars are great - my husband likes the cashew caramel, and cookies and cream. I like the triple chocolate ones. Meijer's carries them, or you can order them from Amazon or Healthsmart.com (the people who make them). They average about 100 calories-ish, about 9-10 grams of protein, and about 9-10 grams of fiber, and they actually taste good!

Absolutely DO NOT deprive yourself. That's only going to make you want something more. I used to LOVE Barq's red creme soda. Peapod doesn't carry it. BUT White Castle has it as a fountain drink. I konw that if I ever get a "weak moment" and want it, I can go drive through, get the smallest size they have, and "get it out of my system." I also found out they have a new dessert - cheesecake on a stick. It's AWESOME and it's tiny enough to not to a ton of damage to your day's food journal.

It's all about being creative and doing things that will give yourself any advantage possible. (I've lost 100 pounds doing this.)
  • Germainia
    Options
    Don't keep anything in the house that might tempt you, resisit the 'special offers' as you will just eat the lot, and, having just scoffed a box of Ferrero Rochers, tell friends not to buy you treats for your birthday ! so annoyed with myself.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do would be to discover the reasons why you binge eat. I'd suggest going to a therapist or counselor to see if you can find what triggers you.

I agree with this 100%. I don't know if ever had a binge eating disorder and I never purged BUT I definitely was an emotional eater. I was eat to calm down and while I was eating it would really become disassociative... I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating or how much of it I was eating... and that is where the bingeing came into play for me.

For me, the key to the emotional cause of binge eating involved many years in therapy. For the past 3 years or so I've focused a lot on being present when I eat, observing my behaviors and the feelings I'm having at the time and practicing intuitive eating. It helps.

As for the physical causes of bingeing... I have also found that eating more frequently does help me feel less deprived so I don't eat the first thing I see and/or everything I see. I also try to practice moderation.

Good luck, you'll figure this out!
  • Sammyjo4486
    Options
    I am still trying to overcome the binge eating. I have made some great progress. Thinking about my triggers which are the slighest bit of boredom and stressful emotions. I suggest Measuring your food so you get used to eating proper portions, I was surprised to see what a real portion of some of my fave foods are as to what I was eating of them. Eat snacks between meals to prevent overeating when mealtimes come. I don't diet I eat what I want I just watch how much of it by measuring and swapping out things in my recipes like reduced fat cheese or fat free milk or low sodium labels, so it lowers the cals and fats in my fave meals. Also do not keep junk food you like to binge on in the house. I only eat "junk food" if I am at a birthday party I will have a piece of cake or a wedding. So I still get to eat with everyone else and don't always have that missing out on the good stuff feeling. If you live with someone who is not willing to stop buying the junk food tell them to please put it away and out of sight so when you open a fridge or cabinet it's not staring at in and in your reach.
    I want to say it took about 3 weeks before measuring my portions became easy and now it just apart of my day. I even started measuing my bf meals I didn't tell him at first to see if there was a diference and at first he was still getting seconds but saying he wished he hadnt. Now he never goes for seconds and is always satisfied after a meal if he ever does want more will got for the veggie or salad I made that day. He doesnt really exercise ever and he lost alot of weight in the past 2 months from portion control, (but men almost always lose weight faster and easier than us women) lucky us.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    Same story here. And the thing that helped me a LOT was keeping a journal not about food but about emotions that I had when I ended up fully drowning in binge eating episodes.
    And Another important step was not to feel anymore guilty. So I was able to broke that circle. Now maybe it happens to me when I am very upset and maybe one every 3-4 months and for me it is more than ok.
    I also had the support from my SO and a psich.

It was mostly about learning a different way to deal with emotions. Now I am pretty ok and finally enjoying my food and just love cooking. I prefer if I want some comfort food to cook it instead of having junk food at home. Yesterday I had to trow away half chocolate because was overdue of three months. I didn't touch it from I believe Easter.
    Instead when I want it I like having a good icecream in good company.