Protein?

Options
Hi there!

For the first time I've added weight training to my workout this month, with the help of a personal trainer. She's been telling me to add more protein to my diet, especially before and after my meal, but when I went into the nutrition store for some powder, I was completely overwhelmed and didn't end up buying it.

Does anyone have any tips for what I should be buying? How much I should be eating? I workout about 3 times a week, usually 2ce with weights (one day for upper body, one day for lower).

Thanks!

Replies

• tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The best form of protein is from whole foods - lean meat (chicken, turkey, etc.), egg whites, cottage cheese, tofu, etc. There are some good protein supplements out there, but finding one that dissolves well or tastes good by simply mixing it with water is hard to find. I've tried a few from Walmart, GNC, and other places - they have whey protein, soy protein, hemp protein...there are a LOT to choose from! I believe the best form of supp would be either the whey protein because it's digested more quickly which means it's available to your muscles much faster to help repair and rebuild the muscle tissue. If you have milk allergies or are lactose intolerant...you should opt for one of the other forms of protein.

I'm no expert by any means, this is just my take on it. What does your trainer say would be best for you?
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    I use protein powders as am veggie and feel I need to add more protein to my diet, also can keep you feeling full longer. I would suggest looking at the nutrition labels, choose one that has high amounts of protein and low amounts of sugar. Mine is 73% protein, flavoured ones always have some sugar in to make them taste ok. You can get plain 100% protein powders, (both whey protein and soy) which I guess would be the best overall but I think they taste horrid. I will mix them in a smoothie but can't drink them on their own. My husband does and says that after a while you don't notice the taste but I couldn't bear it. Hope that helps
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I like either BSN Syntha 6 in chocolate or the Premiere Nutrition in Chocolate. They're both low in sugar and carbs, high in protein and DELISH!
  • Kworkout
    Options
    Hi!
    It's always better to absorb protein into the body by eating foods with protein in them. If you are trying to buy protein powder, make sure you are not allergic to soy and/or soy products before choosing. Many derive their protein from soy. The people at any vitamin shop (i.e. GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe) should be well informed on what is available on the market based on your needs. If not, I'd ask your trainer to elaborate on their wishes for you. But, if all you need is some extra protein, why not try some nut butter on some slices of apple? This is an easy fix for me, and doens't fill me up too much before a workout. Hope this helps some. Good luck in your weight loss journey!
    -K
  • _Landon_
    _Landon_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. I like Double Rich Chocolate. High protein, low carbs, basically no fat or sugar. I mix with milk and sometimes chocolate syrup and they taste fantastic. I have tried MANY protein supplements. This is one of the cheapest and best tasting available. Get it from www.jesupgym.com or www.bodybuilding.com. These are the two cheapest places that I've found that have proven to be legit. I have actually been to each physical store. One is near where I live in Iowa and the other is in Boise, ID. Your trainer is correct, by the way.
  • _Landon_
    Options
    You could also look into powdered egg whites.
  • katdesch
    katdesch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is all great info...thanks, as I also would like to incorporate protein shakes into my diet. Does anyone know WHEN the best time to drink one is? Before or after a workout? Or does it even matter?
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This is all helpful, thanks everyone! I'm going to try GNC this week, I went to nutrition house and found them less than helpful :(
  • _Landon_
    Options
    They are both good times. After your workout would be the better of the two in my opinion. I don't usually have one before because it makes me feel full during the workout.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of different ones, and had big issues with the taste. My very favorite is Designer whey chocolate protein powder, my trader joes has it. I make a shake with 1/2 cup of milk 1 1/2 scoops of protein powder banana crushed ice and about 1/4 c of water, blend in the blender (cold helps!) even my kids like this one and they are very finicky
    VERY filling! the Protein powder has 18G of protein per scoop. Good luck!
  • beano1980
    beano1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Right there many types of protein as a few people have allready talked about but try and read a bit about it first.
    I started with Wikipedia first ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein ) then look at somewhere like http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/totalprotein.htm They have lots of info on the site Plus talk to your personal trainer they should beable to point you in the right direction.
    The way I look for a protein powder is the most amount protein in a scoop + Price + How long is a tub going to last.
    But the best food for protien is: Red Meat. Steaks & ground round. Top round, sirloin.
    Poultry. Chicken breast, ground turkey, whole chicken.
    Fish. Canned tuna, mackerel, salmon.
    Dairy. Milk, cottage cheese, plain low fat yogurt, quark cheese, whey.
    Eggs. Egg whites
    Nuts. Walnuts, almonds, cashew, pistachio.
    And yes a Whey protein straight after a workout.
    Hope It helps.
    Stewart