What happened?

Options
I started using MFP on July 29 as suggested by my trainer. Love it! Tracking food on MFP is my new addiction. Even when I know I'm "cheating" I make sure I track it. In some cases I have been pleasantly surprised to mind I wasn't as far over my limit as I had thought. As long as I keep track I can make an adjustment to my last meal as needed.

Now comes the problem. And hopefully the solution. First 6 weeks lost my expected 1.5 pounds. Now these last couple weeks I seem to have gained back 2. I've added the sugar column to my tracking and notice I am consuming too much per day, primarily in my granola bars. They're easy to grab instead of cooking. I'm going back to the menus I used in the start of this journey (although cherries are no longer in season) and hope to get back on the losing end.

Here's a question: can one eat too much protein? I don't use the exercise track because it just confuses me by adding calories to my daily suggestions.

Replies

• deadlights
    Options
    You're probably fine if you're consuming less than 100g of protein per day. More than that can cause gastro-intestinal issues (from what I understand). I'm not an expert though!

Oh, and most granola bars are evil - not healthy at all and loaded with sugar/corn syrup.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    technically if your calories consumed is LESS than calories expended you should lose weight...regardless.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with sugar. I am not a nutrition expert, but I don't worry as much as I probably should about sugar IF it is in the form of fruit or something else that is overall a really healthy choice, like yogurt. Some would argue that point, but that's how I look at it. Granola bars, etc. I try to avoid unless I am in a pinch for time.

As for protein, I don't know that you can eat too much of it. But I do want to caution you about an Atkins-like approach, which is low-carb, high protein. My ex husband got gout EVERY TIME he went on Atkins. His dr told him that the enormous amounts of protein he was eating were one of the main causes. It was extremely painful. Just a thought.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I consume ~130 to 160g of protein a day because I lift weights. I have no gastrointestinal issues.

As for your 2lbs, track sodium.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    If you are working out you need to make sure your macronutrients are correct.........it isn't simply calories in and calories out as lots of people suggest. I have fought with this for years now......and I just recently have been to a nutritionist. You can eat too much protein, it can affect your kidneys as well as your stomach. Between 80 and 100 grams is a good guide. Eating too many granola bars could be the culprit. I do suggest you go back to menues as this is the only way I eat healthy.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo therefore 100 to 160g a day of protein. No problems here!
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    Options
    track your sodium....
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am going to assume that if you have a trainer, you are exercising and you advise that you aren't tracking that or adding back the calories. Eat them! I eat back at least half my exercise calories. I also adjusted my daily calories up once I platuaed for a few weeks and eating more helped me start losing again. Possibly you aren't eating enough for the amount of working out that you are doing.
  • lauracljc
    Options
    I consume 150+ protein per day because I lift weights 5 times per week. I would definitely track sodium and sugar intake. Make sure you are drinking enough water. The only way to deal with water retention is to drink more...
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    technically if your calories consumed is LESS than calories expended you should lose weight...regardless.

False. Quality of calories is a huge factor. Granola bars are generally just oats or something held together by sugar and too much sugar is going to make losing weight rather difficult. If you need something quick, premix some almonds and craisins and put them in baggies for a nice nutty / sweet mixture.

As far as protein goes, there is such a thing as too much, but unless you're getting more than 200 grams of the stuff a day, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do your best to only eat from the perimeter of the grocery store and make sure you're eating enough and the weight will start coming off.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    In wouold suggest you buy Atkins daybreak bars or shakes to replace your granola bars. High protein and fat, virtually no carbs/sugar (maybe up to 3g).

I eat high protein and high fat - but a typical day is more fat than protein. I have no gastrointestinal issues, but the high fiber took some adjusting to...
  • gerimom17
    gerimom17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Atkins bars and shakes! Hope to add some in to my new diet plan.
  • Sheron410
    Sheron410 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I've looking at the fiber content rather than the sugar content. No wonder they taste so good!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie intake?
    You probably need to track the exercise so you can fuel the engine
  • Sheron410
    Sheron410 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Because I'm hooked on tracking on MFP a couple times daily, I keep my daily intake at 1200 calories or less. I did as some suggested and started tracking sugar and sodium. What an eye opener! Way too much sugar what with chewy granola bars and biotic yogurt. I have a meeting this morning so they go with me to donate for refreshments. I goggled low sugar fruit so I can have fruit in my Get 5 allowance. Thanks everyone!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you're set to 1200 you need to eat your exercise calories.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    oh