The case for morning workout

Options

Replies

• Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    No case. I don't like mornings, I don't like waking up early, I tend to be groggy and stumbly for a good hour or two after I wake up, even with a good night's sleep.. I just suck at mornings, I always have. I would kill myself trying to figure out how to Gym in the mornings... probably kill myself getting there too.

As a side note, when I was still in California, and still had access to a 24 hour fitness.... MIDNIGHT. I'm a night owl, I feel SO ready for the world... just as it's shutting down for the night...
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I keep hitting snooze!!! I need to learn to love morning workouts!! HELP!!!! 4:30 seems crazy early to me. :noway:

I'm with you on that! The hell with 4:30 AM

I work out after work....helps get out frustration and then I can go home and feel good :)
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Morning is the best time to exercise for me.

I run in the morning and feel great the whole day. I think I can say that I am “energized” for the day. It's a good time to think clearly, plan my day, and relax mentally.

Starting the morning with running, before other distractions can intrude, is my best fitness habit. It assures that something else won't crowd exercise out of my schedule. When my days get hectic, exercise is likely to take a back seat.

And for those who are less motivated, if you exercise in the morning, it helps you to stick with it.

I agree, i used to workout in the evenings the last time i tried losing weight with another site...this time i workout in the morning and i feel the same way. I am much more energized and ready for the day. I get up at 5 am during the week and i workout as soon as my son leaves for school which is at 7:30 am.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    And for those who are less motivated, if you exercise in the morning, it helps you to stick with it.

It works for you. Some people like morning workouts, some like evening. People should fit it in t their lifestyle in a manner that will motivate them to be consistent in working out.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings a couple days a week; those are the days I do 2 workouts. I work out in the afternoon/evening every day.
  • Sharebear1963
    Options
    I wish I could be motivated, I know I would love it once I did it, but I have been doing workouts in the evening for so long now, I am not sure I could change.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person, I just like working out in the evenings. It all works. As the add says "Just Do It"
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Get up in the AM and go workout before your brain realizes what you're doing. By the time it wakes up, it's too late. That's my mode of operation.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, except at 5:30 in the morning when it's cold out and my bed is soooo soft and warm, then there is no listening to reason.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Id love to be an early morning exerciser but I dont think my husband or kids would appreciate the language that just falls out of my mouth at Jillian Michaels. I just started the Shred :bigsmile:
  • TinaK_64
    Options
    That's generally when I do mine too. I find that if I don't do it first thing in the morning I'm more likely to not exercise at all. By the time I get home at night and deal with kids, homework, dinner, bath time, bed time and then my own school work I'm just too wiped. Besides like you said, it energizes me for the day and makes me feel good that I've already accomplished something today. :bigsmile:
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    100% agree! love doing more before 7:30 a.m. than lots of people do their whole day! I am always the only one at the gym and I like to plan the day out in my head and rock out to my music on the treadmill. My only issue with working out in the a.m. is sometimes I am very thirsty. I go to the gym immediately after waking up (just time to change and drink a glass of water) and I have to drink water throughout my entire run, way more than if I work out later in the day.
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep hitting snooze!!! I need to learn to love morning workouts!! HELP!!!! 4:30 seems crazy early to me. :noway:

Find an accountability partner who already exercises at that hour...and have them call/text you with a "Let's exercise!" or something, and then you report back to them when your workout is completed. That's what I had to do...she stopped a couple of weeks ago, and I am struggling again. :( Snooze is my best friend!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Morning is the best time to exercise for me.

I run in the morning and feel great the whole day. I think I can say that I am “energized” for the day. It's a good time to think clearly, plan my day, and relax mentally.

Starting the morning with running, before other distractions can intrude, is my best fitness habit. It assures that something else won't crowd exercise out of my schedule. When my days get hectic, exercise is likely to take a back seat.

I prefer morning workouts as well. It just really sets me up well for the rest of the day. I only lose about an hour and a half of sleep. Those rare times where I skip the workout to sleep I still don't feel as good as I would if I just got up and hit the gym like I should of. I find myself after a work day just mentally drained with no energy to workout. Plus, the f'in gym is so packed with people that it's nearly impossible to get any real work done in the gym anyway. I love my morning workouts.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:20 every weekday to work out. I used to go three times at week in the morning and a couple of evening aerobic/step classes the other two days. Then my inner clock just got me up at 5:20 everyday so instead of lying there trying to get back to sleep, I just got up and went to the gym. Now it frees up my evenings to spend with the family. I do go to bed at 9:30-10:00 mind you.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I like working out after my wife has put my daughter down for the night and has gone to sleep herself. Since I've already planned my glass of milk a a cookie for after I know exactly how much exercise I need to stay under my goals.

That's not to say that sometimes I go earlier but I get more time with my family by waiting until they are asleep.
  • wanda9501
    Options
    Ok, on Monday, I will try and get up and work out. I started conditioning my body a while back and will wake up at 5:00, now I just need to get up. It want hurt me, it will only help.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love my morning workouts, It is my time to make sure I take care of myself before the demands of my job get in the way. I also like to do another workout after work, and it usually is either going to excercise with Husband and the dog delux, or if it Hubby is at his mon-wed gig, I do a dancy or yoga different than my regimented program. I like to have time for bonus workouts that I reserve for the evening, this way it stays fun. I look at it almost like a job, the morning I do my non-negetoiable, planned workout, then at night I can play.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you.

for the way I eat, and the way I train, evenings are best for me.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person but I enjoy my exercise in the early evening. For me that's the best time to clear my head after a day of work and by then I have eaten enough to have fuel to run on.