Am I eating too much?

Options
Hey! I am 27 male, 5'11", 165 lbs. I am not overweight, but I am carrying extra weight around the mid section. I am trying to cut about 10 lbs and start weight lifting. After I had put in all my information I am being told to eat 2050 calories a day, but that seems like its a little too much. I dont really feel the need to consume that many calories, perhaps I am doing something wrong ? Just want a clarification that I am on the right track. Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. Especially when you start lifting, you will definitely need the fuel. You'll want to get plenty of protein too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'4 36 year old female and eat about that much most days.
  • AG_Rogers
    Options
    You think 2000 calories a day is too much? seriously? Right now I'm bulking and averaging 4k calories a day. It's different for every person. If you are 165 lbs and active (going to the gym, lifting weights, etc) then 2000 calories is probably too little. You need to find your base metabolic rate and find out how many calories you need to take in to maintain your current weight, and adjust them accordingly.

My base rate is about 3000 calories. Being on a bulk, I aim for about a 1000 calorie surplus, or at a minimum 500. So I never get less than 3500 calories in a day in order to build mass. If your base rate is 2500, 2000-2200 calories would put you in a caloric deficiency, leading to you losing weight. MFP is only a guideline, it really can't tell you what you need to eat. you need to experiment and find out yourself. If you are dieting and trying to lose 10 lbs, find your base rate and take 300-500 calories off of that and you will see results.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 134lb female and only eat 300calories less, to lose weight, than your guideline amount. :) So it's probably okay as a calorie deficit for you to lose those 10lbs.

You may need to up it when you start lifting.
  • Rhcpcraze
    Options
    I have a very active life style, I am a technician by trade so I am on my feet all day, on my weekends I like to ride my road bike, just did a century 2 weekends ago. Considering all this, I still never find myself starving. I eat ~330 cals every 2.5 hours or so, 6 meals a day. I am going to pick up some protein powder today, most days I find myself consuming only about 75 grams a day. How much should I bump my caloric intake if I start lifting ?
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance is around 2400 cals so you should be losing weight eating what you are.

I would ditch the 6 meals a day and eat two large meals and maybe a small snack if required.

Protein and fat during the day and protein and carbs in the evening and you will drop the bodyfat no problem.

Start weight lifting as soon as possible and take you protein powder after workout the rest of your intake should be real food.

If you cycle for 100 miles, make sure you eat a big meal afterwards.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 113 lbs and I eat 2500+ calories a day. It all depends how you work your body and what kind of fuel you put into it. I never restrict my calories, I just don't eat junk. ;)
  • Rhcpcraze
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to start lifting as soon as this weekend. Going to up my caloric intake and then adjust as needed.
    Hey NML2011, I own that same Fox race air cool jersey, they are awesome!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Sounds just fine. If you are not overweight and want to change how your body looks you need to eat at a very small deficit (.5 pounds per week) and ideally lift weights. I'm 5'10" and 46 and I eat more than that and lose.