Polar FT4 Battery Died, cannot open it!

Options
My Polar FT4 battery died yesterday in the middle of my workout! Now as aggravating as that was, you are supposed to be able to take off and the back and replace the battery. My husband and I both have the same one just different colors. Neither of us can get the back off to change the battery. We called Polar and we are going to have to mail them in to have them repaired. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a trick to getting them opened? I really do not want to be without my heart rate monitor. :sad:

edit to say. It is the transmitter that has died not the watch itself. The thing that hooks onto my chest strap.

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Perhaps take it to a jewellery store? I just got mine so I haven't had to try changing the battery yet.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Perhaps take it to a jewellery store? I just got mine so I haven't had to try changing the battery yet.

It is the transmitter that has died. The part that goes onto the strap. Do you think they could open it?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else see's this and can help you.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I thought it is meant to warn you that the battery is low! I've had mine for a long time now and its still going strong. Now I'm worried!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    I never heard of them being user-fixable. . . .
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I read something similar here on MFP a while ago. So I decided NOT to buy a Polar. 3 weeks ago Lidl Ireland had a HRM on offer for 17.99 Euro (24$). I bought one and am absolutely happy with it. It works perfectly fine, HR and calories burnt are correct and the best thing: I can change batteries of watch and transmitter. Am glad I didn't go for Polar.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I think you have to buy a new transmitter. My receiver battery I replaced at the jeweler's. Look on heartratemonitorsusa. They sell them separately on there, but it might say if it's removable. I've had my F4 for almost 4 yrs with no problems. How old is yours?
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6. I've had it for 5 years, and I've replaced the battery twice (paid for it once). I took it to "Batteries Plus" and they took care of it for me. A regular battery was $9.00, but I got the lifetime battery for $16.00.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I bought mine, the store was very clear with me that if anything was/went wrong with it, that I would have to send it to Polar to be fixed. They didn't specify batteries, but I assumed that was included in the "must send to Polar" group. I haven't had to change mine out yet tho... let us know what happens!
  • GinaBinaFaye
    GinaBinaFaye Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What does the back of it look like? My FT7 you need a coin screw drivers don't work. I have changed the batter in the transmitter and the watch part.
  • GinaBinaFaye
    GinaBinaFaye Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If that doesn't work I would try a watch repair shop. Good Luck
  • sr_patterson
    sr_patterson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE IT YOURSELF! I tried to do it myself and it broke it and that voided the warranty.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the manual online, and you're supposed to be able to replace it yourself. Do you still have the instructions? This is what I found. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-55532753181910/polarWearlink.pdf
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When I bought my FT4, there was a very clear statement in the User's manual that you need to send it to Polar for battery replacement, or the waterproof warranty will be void.
  • JenBrown0210
    Options
    What does the back of it look like? My FT7 you need a coin screw drivers don't work. I have changed the batter in the transmitter and the watch part.

That is what mine looks like. However it is stuck. Both mine and my husbands (model FT4 make and female) are supposed top new able to replace the battery yourself. We turn the back but you cannot lift it up. I have to mail it to Polar to have it repaired.
  • JenBrown0210
    Options

That is what mine looks like. However it is stuck. Both mine and my husbands (model FT4 make and female) are supposed top new able to replace the battery yourself. We turn the back but you cannot lift it up. I have to mail it to Polar to have it repaired.
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have opened my before but now i can't open it.
  • josephinelau
    Options
    I can't open mine either ): Did you ever figure out what to do?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    That is one of the downfalls with the FT4 as opposed to the FT7's.
  • wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have an F11 maybe its different. I opened mine using a penny i think. Took it to a watch store and they fit it with a watch battery cost about $10.