Its great reading seeing success stories but...

Options

Replies

• Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mine started out as a "knee-jerk" reaction to a diagnosis of diabetes. I stopped eating sugar (real or fake) just before lunchtime on November 22, 2011. I started reading labels and figured out a day's worth of meals that I could have that didn't contain sugar. I ate the same thing every day for about a month. Then, in January, I got on MFP. I sometimes stalk other peoples' food diary to get ideas of what I could eat. I started incorporating a better variety of food into my daily menu. I found that I really enjoy canned salmon, though. I eat it for lunch at least three days per week. Some of my coworkers started making fun of my "cat food" habit. I didn't think much about it until a neighbor had to call the fire department to get me out of a tree the other day. Most of my exercise comes from chasing mice and running from dogs. :tongue:
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I became vegan to lose weight (freakin love cheese.) Initially, I lost about 5 lbs without even trying to watch calories or sugar, but the 5 was inspiring so I cut soda and vegan treats and now base a majority of my diet on fruits and vegetables with a few EFA supplements and tofu in the mornings.
    I started doing that about three weeks ago. Since then, I've dropped ten lbs, walk everywhere, have clearer skin, and I'm generally happier too. I love meat and plan to reunite with it someday when I've lost what I want to, but until then, I'm a vegetable lady.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    dont eat junk and workout
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    thats because everyone does someply completely different.

Even if I do running and you do running - we still eat with different forks and pee at different times.

You know how we all did it?

Trial and Error
    practice makes perfect
    Just keep swimming
    If at first you dont succeed
    plan b
    plan c
    try harder
    try something else
    eat something else
    dont eat something else
    plan f
    start over and retry all those things
    do it again
    do it harder
    do it faster
    do it slower
    sweat
    cool down
    sweat
    eat
    shower
    read
    learn more
    learn WAY more
    trial and error
    practice makes perfect
    succeed.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I make sure I troll the forums every day and the weight just falls off
  • chanson104
    Options
    I let MFP guide me on my calories, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and lean meats and let the macros fall where they will.

Edited to add that I have grown to love exercise as well! I've done coach to 5K and now I'm doing the 5K to 10K bridge. I've also done JM DVDs and classes at the YMCA.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Probably the biggest factor in my success was running. It burns an insane amount of calories, particularly distance running. Also, I started out following the Southbeach Diet. It's not something that will work for everyone, I'm sure, as everyone is different, but I learned a TON about nutrition from reading the book and I've applied it to my every day eating. So far I've maintained my weight loss for over a year and still counting. :smile:
  • chanson104
    Options
    I make sure I troll the forums every day and the weight just falls off
    Now there's some good exercise for ya. :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not many have shared HOW you have done it? With so many variables it all gets confusing I would love to know what worked, MFP settings, sticking around BMR etc? Its great to see that something is working tho! :]

There are 1000's of ways to do it. Some people (most people) correlate what they did with the results that got, but correlation =/= causation. Essentially a caloric deficit to lose weight (does not matter how the deficit was created), and exercise to get in better shape (strength training for a more athletic looking physique) is all that is required, and enough protein so you don't lose too much lean muscle, and just look thin and out of shape.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Even if I do running and you do running - we still eat with different forks and pee at different times.

Trial and Error
    practice makes perfect
    Just keep swimming
    plan b
    plan c
    try harder
    try something else
    eat something else
    dont eat something else
    plan f
    do it again
    do it harder
    do it faster
    do it slower
    sweat
    cool down
    sweat
    eat
    shower
    read
    learn more
    learn WAY more
    trial and error
    practice makes perfect
    succeed.

:flowerforyou: Perfection
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    All that really matters is that you don't give up. Burn more than you take in. Keep going.
  • chanson104
    Options

Trial and Error
    practice makes perfect
    Just keep swimming
    plan b
    plan c
    try harder
    try something else
    eat something else
    dont eat something else
    plan f
    do it again
    do it harder
    do it faster
    do it slower
    sweat
    cool down
    sweat
    eat
    shower
    read
    learn more
    learn WAY more
    trial and error
    practice makes perfect
    succeed.
    Yep, this sums it up. You have to figure out what works for you and that changes.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i've changed my eating habits, eating between 1400 and 1600 cals per day and doing an hour of cardio 5-6 days a week (on weekends, split up into two 1/2-hour sessions) and burning around 1000 of it off. I'll eat back maybe half of that 1000 calories. I also do regular calisthenic-type stuff 2-3 times a week like push ups (lady style, on the knees lol), jumping jacks, crunches and squats. I'm addicted to whole grains like brown rice and whole wheat bread, prefer chicken to any other meat, take daily vitamins and supplements, and drink a TON of water every single day. I also make sure to NEVER WORRY ABOUT WHAT THE SCALE SAYS. If it goes down, fantastic. If not, oh well. I measure myself every Sunday before I weigh in. Inches speak louder than pounds. I'm worrying about burning off body fat first and would rather see proof that my body is shrinking with the help of my measuring tape. I invested in a very reliable HRM so I know exactly what I'm burning and I make sure I give my calf muscles and feet a good, deep massage after every workout so they don't cramp up.

I let myself go over my daily calories one day a week. I don't overdo it, I still keep my portions small, but I allow myself one or two things that I haven't had in a while and love to death so I don't randomly go on a binge on it when nobody's around.

And I don't care how long it takes me. Whether it takes me a year or another five or even ten, I will get myself back down to a healthy weight.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it differently and can be successful.

More exercise
    fasting
    less sugar
    high protein
    low fat
    low carbs
    surgery
    pills/supplements
    etc.

The common thread is this: eat less fuel than you burn so you burn your stored fuel (fat). MFP just helps you to log the fuel. Additionally, it provides a social network for those who need that aspect for whatever reason (accountability, support, information, etc.).
  • ccebohmygod
    Options
    I eat between 1400 and 1600 cals a day on average and walk daily for about 30 minutes. I have a lot of weight to lose and from never ever walking anywhere to 30 mins daily is big for me. I have lost 17lbs in the past 3 weeks cutting out nothing. I find eating fresh unprocessed food is the best way to feel better, boost energy and be comfortably within calorie allowance. No fizzy drinks, just water with lemon or berries if I need a taste and tea. I still have carbs, have completely switched to wholegrain bread, pasta, rice but I have potato's about twice a week, no butter or milk etc. Just today I had some chocolate, only 15g but it was enough and I think as long as I can continue to eat everything within my allowance I won't feel like I am missing out on anything.

After YEARS of trying to lose weight I realise I wasn't really trying. I was invested short term looking for immediate dramatic results. I now know I am in this for the long haul and it is as much about changing and breaking habits and learning about what my body specifically needs. I love feeling energetic, I love the changes in my body and I love that I am excited about the future, events etc
  • shrinkingfeefee
    shrinkingfeefee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's a great question as all questions on MFP are great!!! i signed up a few weeks ago but I wasn't faithful/dedicated to myself but when I first started I went straight to success stories and wondered the same thing but as the weeks went by I caught on that everyone does something that suits them, it's not one of those diets where everyone has to follow exactly, it's a lifestyle change that suits each person's need. I am back on it and after reading success stories and seeing pictures everyday just like someone mentioned previously that motivates me and keeps me pushing. I did however talk with my Dr. this week and she recommended that I do 1800 cals instead of the 2010 that MFP recommended for me so I have been! Good luck with your journey and thanks to everyone for sharing!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I ate by MFP guidelines. Started at 1500 and am now down to 1200. I find it easy to stay within my calories because i only heat healthy foods and they fill me up more than junk. Lots of chicken, veggies, fruits and even wheat bread. I do not eat white bread, red meat, soda, chips. I walk often and am getting into jogging. I also have 2 children, a 1 & 2 year old who keep me busy and moving. Its all about just moving more for me, i dont have a gym membership.
  • ccebohmygod
    Options
    Your post could have been written by me. Our experiences are so similar. I wish you the best
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Yoovie summed it up perfectly. :laugh:

For me, I started at 1200 and that lasted about a month before I realized I didn't have enough excess fat to lose 2 pounds a week unless I had a stomach flu. So I switched it to one pound a week, plus most my exercise calories, until I got within 10 pounds of my goal, then switched it to a half pound a week. The whole time, I ate at a total of 1800-2000 calories a day.

For exercise, I started with running and walking with Couch to 5k, then EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation with 5# dumbbells, then just running, then heavy weight lifting using machines at the gym, and more recently, lifting heavy free weights at home (and still running).

Currently weight training 3x a week and running 3x a week, and eating about 2000 calories a day, but I'm probably going to increase that soon.

Long version... How everything I thought I knew about weight loss was wrong: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use the scooby calculator to figure out how many calories to take in and I recalculate it every 5 lbs. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I look at different calorie amounts for both 1-3 hrs a week of light exercise and 3-5 of moderate. I enter the lowest number for my calorie goal to make sure I get at least the minimum daily but my goal is to be between the numbers that I find. I don't eat back my exercise calories as per MFP but the exercise is already calulated into my calorie goals for the week though some days it looks like I am because I have a range of calories I am looking for. I also don't worry about going over 1 or 2 days a week because it usually averages out by the end of the week. Plus for whatever reason the day after I have a heavy calorie day I am usually not hungry and most of my calories come from knowing I need to eat something and not from real hunger or desire to eat something.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!