Errr, embarrassing question for runners.

Options
So, I have a race coming up on Sunday morning (gun fires at 9am), and I normally have to err...."go" in the am. And normally I do.... but what happens when you have to go, or go again after the race starts, and you're not near one of the 3 porto-potties on the 21k track? Do you hold it? Go off-course? Would you get disqualified going outside the race circuit? LOL!

First time doing a half and this thought invaded my mind.... and I'd like to know if you guys know or have dealt with this in the past?

What do YOU do when nature calls on a race run? Haha. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Spanks guys!

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is basically a bump for me because I'm about to run my first 5k in a couple weeks, and I get the nervous poo's. Just thinking about that has me nervous already. Ugh!

Hooray for your first half!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Men are lucky we just find a bush or a wall. Girls, have to either run faster to the finish so they can use a toilet or squat down over a drain and go, or if you are pro just wet yourself
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    LOL! Just one of the many embarassing questions everyone has before their first race. I've done 4 Half Marathons at Disney which start at 6AM, but last bus leaves the resort at 4 AM meaning up at 3 AM. Throws the whole "bodily function schedule" out of whack. That being said, I just relax, have my bagel with peanut butter and go before i leave the room. Otherwise there are lots of port o potties at the start to try again if needed if you can make it through the smell. Knock on wood, I've never felt the call of nature while on the course, but there are plenty of places set up for it although you may have to stand in line.

Don't let it worry you too much. 9 AM start sounds late enough that your body should be all right (unless you normally don't get out of bed until 10). You'll be fine! Have a great race!
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start the race late...I know you will be eager to get in your coral, but take the time to drain, and then just go by your chip time, not race time...There is no sense standing at the starting line for 20 minutes.

Good luck on your first 21km....get ready for a flood of emotions when you cross that line.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wear a menstrual pad....just in case there is a problem.

The pads are a little distracting but they do offer protection when in a pinch. The super thin overnight ones are comfortable and work well. No one can even tell that you are wearing one.

I have 4 children.....I sometimes have bladder issues so I know where you are coming from. When I have to go, I have to go and I'm not stopping to hide somewhere (and a lot of times there's no where to hide).

Just make sure you practice running while wearing one, just to make sure it's not a problem for you.

PS...that only works with pee.....don't ever try that with uhhh...the other stuff :-)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever needed to go during a race. I make sure to use a port a potty before I start...as to the other "go" I know some people who take an immodium a few hours before the race to prevent the "runs" :laugh:

I would say, don't worry about it...either it will happen or not...you can leave the race course for a nature call or there are usually many port a pottys along the course. But don't stress about it.

Have fun, just go out and run!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OK this is awesome!

Give your self some time and hit the port a potty lines. dont eat too big a meal the night before and pray! LMFAO! I got a guy at work who dumped in some guys yard one time during a race.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    :huh: Folks, I'm pretty sure she's talking about poop.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5K on Saturday and since the ONLY time I ever have to use the bathroom is when I have somewhere to go, I took an immodium just in case. I've been able to hold #1 while running, but because I have bladder issues, the longest I've ever been able to hold off was my 7.14 mile run. I keep joking with hubby saying I'm going to buy those Poise or whatever they are, but I can't help but think you'd see them under my shorts and I'm just not sure I could go in my pants! Thanks for the post - can't wait to read what others do. Good luck with your race!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why I am limiting myself to only 5k races!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid you'll have a nervous stomach and have to poop, just take two Imodium AD when you get up in the morning. That will tighten things up enough that you won't have to worry about it.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I asked my daughter , the marathon runner/triathlete the same question and she said "You pour your water bottle over your head while you "go". Personally that's an "EWWW" from mom but that seems to be the common response. Hope that helps.....
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid you'll have a nervous stomach and have to poop, just take two Imodium AD when you get up in the morning. That will tighten things up enough that you won't have to worry about it.

This ^^^

Stay away from high fiber foods the night before, and morning of the race. If you drink coffee (caffeine), drink it early enough race morning to wake those bowels up so you can hopefully hit the bathroom before you leave the house. Get to the race sight early, check in, and head to the potty line to get rid of the nervous pee you'll have.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Immodium works, and personally......a cup of coffee about an hour before the race can sort of speed things along so you can go before the race starts. Shouldn't be too hard to do with a 9am start time. :smile:
  • rebeccask
    Options
    Don't eat too late the night before your race. Don't eat anything new. Give yourself a couple of hours before the race to get things moving before you go to your race. Get to the race early enough to hit the port-o-potties before you start. If you happen to be in an area during your race where there are none in sight, I would suggest a run/walk until you reach one. Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I"ve run a half and I'm running another in 8 days. Lots of people have these "issues" whether it's #1 or #2. . .there's a HUGE line for the port-a-potties behind the start line. See, if the race is chip timed, your time doesn't start until you cross the start line. So, if you really need to go, try to go before. Otherwise, you'll need to use a port-a-potty along the course. I had a friend who ran a full marathon and she said people jump behind bushes all the time. They even carry some TP so they can wipe if need be.

I'm grateful I don't get nervous stomach or runner's trots. Now, after the race is over. . . I've got about an hour before I need my private potty time!!! LOL

And, for a 5k. . .unless you have a super sensitive digestive system, you should be able to manage for the 30 minutes or so that you are running. I've NEVER had a potty probelm with a 5k.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options

You can just pee while you run.

If you're going to hit the brown frequency, you should take the Imodium.

Also, remember that your time is less important than finishing. After you've run a few you'll be worried about personal records, but until then the finishing is the accomplishment.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    eeeeyikes! I am running a 10k next wknd, (my very first run EVER) and this didn't even cross my mind. Now that I've read this, it's all I'm going to be thinking about! Now I need to devise a plan.....
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd wear Depends. Not even kidding - I know quite a few women who use them after giving birth just to make life easier, don't see why it wouldn't bring some peace of mind here.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Never shake hands with a runner who is only wearing one sock.