Workouts and Having a Life...

Options
I'm not a morning person, I'd love to be but I'm kind of a snarling wildebeast if I get up before 8:30, but I find myself running out of time to workout at night. How does everyone fit this in? What kind of scheduling ninja have you become to make time for exercise?

Replies

• MommyToCutie
    MommyToCutie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise at night after work (I mean late at night, at like 11 pm!) and I got tired of that quickly. I'd exercise one month at a time and quit for several months, then it was really hard to start back up again. And now I have an 18 month old who only takes one nap per day, so I have to exercise when he naps, there's really no other time I can. So I'm exercising at 11 am or noon. It sucks getting up early, but if you do and get your workout out of the way in the mornings, you feel better throughout the day and you don't have to worry about it after work. Sorry, that probably didn't help, but that's my opinion. :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was on a pretty steady routine of getting up at 4am to workout. At the time, it was easier because of other life commitments. I still do early morning workouts once or twice a week, but I'm finding that I do more in the evening now. I just don't care as much about doing other things and the friends that I want to spend time with are usually at the gym with me. I still have some outside activities, but I have definitely learned to say NO more so I can take care of myself.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I do evenings at home now, but in the past I also really liked knocking it out right after work at a gym located 5 mins walk from my place of employment. I'd work out, shower & be out for dinner/what have you in 70 minutes (got to be very efficient at showering, but had short hair at the time). Helped to rent a locker, and keep things there.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Not a ninja, just make it a priority!

I wake up at 5:30, leave my house at 7, get to work at 8:30, leave work at 5:30, get to the gym at 7, and stay there until my workout is DONE (usually around 8:30). Sure, I don't get home until 9pm, have to quick eat dinner/shower and go to bed to do it all over again, but I'm staying on track!

Point is, if it's important to you, you'll find a way - the best way that works for you! Quite simply, JUST DO IT! :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, I'd love to be but I'm kind of a snarling wildebeast if I get up before 8:30, but I find myself running out of time to workout at night. How does everyone fit this in? What kind of scheduling ninja have you become to make time for exercise?

If you're "not a morning person" - what kind of work schedule, responsibilities and/or activities are you trying to balance that have you running out of time @ night?

I'm up to go to the gym bet. 5:00-5:30 most mornings because after that I have to work a full time job (with an hour commute each way), and after work, I have to pick up my kids, walk the dog, feed them all, clean up the kitchen, get the kids baths when needed, and get them into bed by 8:30-ish. Then I go back to work to opening mail, paying bills, and doing laundry as needed. I'm asleep by 10:00 most nights to start all over again the next day. But that's the only time that works for me, especially b/c my husband likes to get to the gym around 9 pm after the kids are in bed.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I ninja in 48 minutes of exercise in to every work day without officially "working out." At every 15 minute break, I leave my desk and do a 12 minute walk. If its raining or snowing, I do it in the parking ramp. If the weather is such that I absolutely don't want to go outside, I walk inside the building. At my lunch, I do my 12 minute route twice.

Then, a couple times a week, I get up at 4:40am to get to the gym. On the weekends, I go to the gym when I wake up, and also do a nice long walk in the evenings.

I also try to work in fun activities on the weekend that are more active than sedentary.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Until you can fit a larger block of time to workout, why not add up little chunks of exercise throughout the day? Take the stairs, stand more often, park farther away from all doors, take a quick walk around your work area inside/outside. It's not ideal but it adds up to a bit of a deficit. Every little bit counts! Like everything else, we make time for what's important to us.
  • MrsVtec
    MrsVtec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had to decide how much time I'm willing and able to commit to exercise and when I'm willing to carve that time out of my day. I also gave morning workouts a try for a while, but generally it doesn't last for me. I'm always running late in the mornings, and 'just getting up earlier' or making it a priority doesn't work for me.

What I am willing to do is devote 30 minutes a day. For me, this happens right after I walk in the door after work. I change and go to the office/gym and put my dvd in. I work hard for those 30 minutes to make it as effective as it can be in a short amount of time. When I'm done, I still have plenty of time to make dinner, visit with hubby, do laundry, relax, whatever else needs to be done. Then on weekends I fit it in when I can. So far this working great for me! Perhaps some day I'll adjust the time of day or increase the amount of time, but for now this is what I do!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job and twin 4 yr olds at home. My husband works nights 6pm - 6am. My gym doesn't open till 9 am. Originally I was up at 6 and out the door by 715 to take the girls to daycare and be at work by 8. Got off at 5, picked up the girls, got to the gym by 6 or 630, worked out till 730, got home by 8, fed everyone, baths and bed. Hated it. It wasn't fair to the girls because they had been in daycare all day then got stuck in another childcare at the gym and had no time with me. So now, I am up at 430 am while everyone is still in bed. I do my workout then get ready for work. This leave me time after work to spend with the kids, clean my house, grocery shop or just whatever. It's hard to get used to but I find it works best for me.

Oh and being a crazy person in the morning because you have to get up is all in your head. I don't mean to sound mean but you only act the way you allow yoursef to act. Plus at 430 am you don't have to deal with anyone and have that time to wake up and put on your happy pants.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Most people have to BE at work at 8:30, nevermind getting up earlier to shower, get ready, commute, etc. I have to be at work at 7:30. Trust me, it's possible to wake up early without being a beast. You just have to get used to it. As far as "running out of time" at night, what are you doing? Surely whatever it is you're doing can be sidelined for 3 days a week to get in a workout?

I really don't mean to be insensitive, but so many people work crazy hours and have to take care of a bunch of kids and still get a quality workout in every day. You just have to be committed to a healthy lifestyle and take it as seriously as work/family, etc.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If it's really important, then you will FIND the time to workout.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Schedule it in to your day. That's the only way it works for me.
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    during summer I was working out before work and sometimes after. well now with my kiddos back in school, by the end of the night after work I have been too tired and before work to tired to get up. :yawn:

can't win for loosing but I have been taking a longer walk on the weekends and trying to exercise for more than 30min when I do get it in and focus more on my eating habits. :happy:
    I' m a work in progress.:tongue:
    I was just asking my pals something similar. thanks for the tips. :smile:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    How much of a work out are you trying to do? I run for 30 minutes, which takes an hour out of my day between commute and picking up/dropping off the kids at the Y child care. I also work at least 9 hours a day.
  • TKCG74
    TKCG74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The wife and I are lifting at lunch for about 45min X 4 per week, then running 3 - 4 after work. Teamwork is the key and find someone to go with. Hope this helps.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. But now I've changed my workout time to right after I get home from school. I get home at around four so if I leave right away I'll be done by five. Then I'll do something little when I get home at night and Sunday is a full on workout day, too.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will jump on me for this, but... you don't HAVE to work out every day. I work a 4/10 schedule. I'm up on work days at 4:45am. I get home at 6pm. I eat and I go to bed by 8pm. On my 3 days off, I usually go walking at the lake (for 90 minutes a pop) and do some yoga. You don't have to bust your butt at the gym to lose weight. But exercise definitely makes you healthier in the long run.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Journal what you do throughout the day. Then later analyze and find areas where you can either 1) eliminate or reduce the unnecessary time sink or 2) multi task.

For example, if you attend conferences a lot, a suggestion for maximising your time to meet people and exercise is to schedule a work out session with them. It's unorthodox, sure, however I believe a lot of people would be open to the idea of doing something new. Not to mention, it makes you stand out in a crowd.
  • K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    (nb: NOT directed at ANY ONE personally- just observations from my own life):

When it comes to exercise- regardless of time:
    You can throw up all sorts of rational, reasonable roadblocks as to why you can't, why it's inconvenient, why it's (fill in adjective)- and you will be RIGHT.
    You won't get fit, you won't be healthy, but you will be RIGHT.
    No harm no foul- we have likely all done so at one point or another.

You have to wrap your brain around the idea that fitness/mindful eating are something worthwhile, that they're worth doing, and that they're worth the discomfort and inconvenience.
    If you can't or won't - don't waste your time-really.
    You're not ready.

Wait for:
    -the heart attack (yours, or a family member)
    -the sudden death of a family member (hey, they didn't like exercise either, so it's ok! Dead, but ok!)
    - the announcement by your doctor that you're (type II) pre-diabetic /diabetic
    (Hey- my blood sugar meter comes in pretty colors!- NEATO! - and diabetes is SO socially acceptable!- why, we ALL know SOMEONE with it, so it must be OK!
    Never mind that diabetes = internal systemic RUNAWAY CORROSION & RUSTING of ALL body systems, and will likely be a critical factor in your death- sooner or later. Sure, you may be able to reverse it (if you drop everything, take it seriously, and reverse it EARLY on), but you likely won't. )
    - the realization that you lost that opportunity for your dream job (you interviewed just great and that size (high double digit number) suit fit you perfectly! G-d BLESS LANE BRYANT!) because:
    They looked at you and realized that you (ALL of fabulous, pulchritudinous, perfect-for-that-job you) were going to be a huge liability on the group health insurance plan (OH YES- THIS DOES HAPPEN).

For me-
    - I have found that it's more stressful to think about avoiding exercise than to just hold my nose and get it done.
    - I actually don't hold my nose' as much at the concept of exercise, once I actually do it.

- I found it helpful to work in small micro-workouts during the day.
    -Those micro workouts inform me- I realize that I DO have time to do some useful workout, even in small bits of time, and that it wouldn't be so bad to string a few of those micro-workouts together. I'm often doing longer workouts, or more frequent workouts, as a result.
    - Most importantly- I quit making exercise such an 'event'.

You don't have to dress like Lance Armstrong every time you jump on a bike, & you don't have to put on tshirt/shorts/wicking socks/proper footgear every time you pick up a dumbbell. I found that I was spending so much time organizing, researching, packing, etc. my gear that I wasn't actually USING it! ha!

I found that I DID have time to work exercise into my day, but didn't necessarily have time to find/put on the correct shoes, sweat-wicking socks, performance T , sports bra, and sweat wicking shorts on/changed, properly warm up, properly cool down, stretch, meditate, hold 5 yoga poses, visualize my new self, etc....on and on.....

I learned that, because I wasn't 'killing' every workout that- gasp! I could get some useful workouts in, even if they didn't pass the 'target heart rate/talk without gasping' threshold.

For instance-
    I have 15 # dumbbells near where I sit when I watch TV.
    I pick them up during commercial breaks (Not every break, but at least 1-2) , and do 10 reps.
    No, I don't warm up per se, cool down, but am mindful, slow, careful and correct in my movement.
    Is it as good as a dedicated 20 minute weight-training session at the gym?
    Arguably YES- because a '20 minute session' can instead be:
    -10-20 minutes in traffic, one way
    -5 minutes to dress/pack/lock locker
    -5 minute warmup
    -20 minute workout
    -5-10 minutes waiting during workout to get on equipment /futzing with hand sanitizer (MRSA, anyone), resetting digital readouts, getting headphones/audio player adjusted, etc.
    - 5 minute cooldown
    -5 minute wait for the 'good' showers (not the ones with the cheap plastic dogwashing hand-held shower)
    -5-10 minutes to dress (longer because you are damp from the shower)
    -10-20 minutes in traffic to go home.
    I don't always have 70- 100 minutes for a 'socially acceptable' workout- but I DO have time to whip off a few careful, considered, focused reps in my living room.
    Most importantly - I'm more likely to DO the reps in my living room.
    Exercise DONE (carefully!) is better than exercise PLANNED.

Another example-
    I have an old Tony Little Gazelle (without a data center) that I picked up from freecycle.
    It's set up at the top of my backyard (& it's getting rained on right now- I spray WD40 on all of the junctions at the top of spring & autumn).
    I jump on it whenever the dogs go outside into our fenced backyard.
    (I have an escapist beagle that WILL get out in less than three minutes, so I have to go out with her every time- no 'looking out the window', checking occasionally, as she can climb fence faster than the Marines! ha!)
    I may be in a dress, in sandals, dress slacks (ok- never stillettos! ha!), but I just jump on it and have at it for 5-10 minutes. NO, it's not an uuber aerobic workout, it's not concussive, it's not a lot of things- but it beats sitting around, and it's not hurting.
    I have also found that listening to a podcast /streaming online radio, etc. can make the time FLY by - and the dogs get to commune with nature, too!
    Pretty sweet to look at your chronometer and realize that you've just knocked out 40-60 minutes on the ol' Gazelle, rather than sitting inside, checking on Facebook, reading email, etc. (all of which can be done simultaneously on a smartphone while on the Gazelle, anyway).
    Nope- I don't always have time to do that- but when I do, it's still useful exercise.
    Maybe not AS useful as it COULD be, but again- exercise (carefully) done is better than exercise planned.

Another example-
    Bedrooms on floor 2, washer /dryer in basement- three flights of steps one way.
    2-4 loads of laundry every day (our 92 year old Dad lives with us), and bed needs to be made daily.
    No, it's not a stairmaster- but those who watch me work don't doubt that I'm moving!
    Kick up the intensity (RUN!) and you've just (effectively) done interval training.

I could go on about how to kick a water aerobic workout into gear (it's not just for ladies who want dry hair/jewelry!) by using big dumbbells, ankle cuffs (weighted or not) and intervals (placid on the water's surface, churning like a butter-maker below the waves!), but you get the idea!

But the hardest workout is the decision to finally take it all seriously- without rationalization- and actually just DO it.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I always manage to fit in a 20 minute HIIT routine on the days I literally have no time. When I get home from class, I do a quick 20 minute HIIT routine. On the weekends, when I have more time, I will workout for much longer periods of time. I just find that working out every day of the week, or most days, is a must. Sometimes we all tend to be so busy that we neglect to think about important things like exercising.