Why Would Anyone Homeschool -- Totally Off Topic!

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
I've been asked so many questions that I'm going to try to answer some of them here.

:noway: Why homeschool? First of all, any good parent "homeschools" their children, and by that I mean they teach them at home. They teach them how to walk, talk, potty, abc's, and hopefully they teach them good values (oh yeah, we're talking about good parents here who would naturally teach them good values!)

When children reach school age, we just trade hours for when we are teaching our children at home. I teach mine from 9-1, and other parents start when the kids get home with their homework, reading to them, etc.

I. So, why "homeschool."
Parents choose to do this for many different reasons.
A. Some, like us, are moving around so much they don't what their kids to have to deal with all the different curriculums across the nation and overseas, thereby avoiding learning gaps.

B. Some, also like us, have religious objections to someone else having our precious children for their best hours of the day, and leaving us with the tired cranky children later on :laugh: believing that God has bestowed the education of our children on us as our responsibility and not the state.

C. Other parents recognize that their children are just not thriving in a large schoolroom environment and try to catch their kids up in what they are lacking for a year or two.

D. Some parents are just wacko and want their kids around all the time (also like us):laugh: :laugh:

E. Some parents are having so much trouble with their kids, that they try this as a second chance because their kids are causing trouble at school, and getting into trouble with other kids at school. Word of Warning, it usually takes a year of doing NOTHING after bringing a rebellious child out of school (ever heard "You can't make me"?). I would use the Sonlight reading list and just start reading out loud really good books to them (they may pretend they can't hear you, but they do) After many months, they do come around; but they have been addicted to their peers and taking them out of that will make them very angry. Parents doing this need to be patient, and slowly restore discipline to an out of control kid.

F. Some parents do this because they believe they can provide a more excellent education. True in some cases, and not true in others. All depends on the parents. There is no problem with finding a good curriculum, in fact there are so many it's hard to even choose one. And YOU have the teacher books, so you know what they are learning, how they are learning it, and whether they are learning or not. You are in control, and you know what their weaknesses are and their strengths and can customize their education to what they need the most.

II. So, what to do if you find you have this insatiable urge to do this crazy thing.... :huh: what next?
A. Start reading.
A1 Homegrown Kids is a good start for any parent, homeschooling or not. It gives great tips on how to better teach your children making learning experiences part of your everyday routine.
A2 www.sonlight.com is a great resource website as well as curriculum provider. They have a section called "20 reasons Why NOT to use their curriculum" as well as "20 Reasons Why to Use their Curriculum"
A3 HSLDA.com
A4 Focus on the Family has articles on homeschooling

III Socialization. I think I've been asked that more times than I care to count. :grumble: I actually had a sheet written up about this because this seems to be the one topic people ask about when they find out you do this crazy thing. Socialization is the process whereby adults pass on their values to their children. It is not children teaching children how to behave. Children actually have a hard time being properly socialized when they are only around their own age all the time. They have a hard time relating to people of other ages; they are often intolerant of younger children, and too immature to relate to adults. So, truly, a well-socialized child is one who can relate to all ages (a typical old-fashioned large family that has babies, toddlers, teens and maybe even a grandparent living with them -- I say old-fashioned because this is what families looked like at the turn of the century).

Having said all that, our kids have been involved in YMCA sports, local swimteams, Civil Air Patrol (Air Force Scouts) and church activities, which have all helped give them an opportunity to be around other kids and make friends. My bottom line has always been, keeping my kids on my team.

I hope this answers some of the questions. If you have any more, just shoot away and I'll try to answer them. Oh yes, here's another one, can they get into college? I have one at A&M in the engineering department and one going in the fall for History. So, yes.

:yawn: Now what does this have to do with dieting????? Absolutely nothing, except that being around food all the time and having to prepare it for little ones makes it really really HARD to lose weight:laugh: :explode:

Replies

• beep
    Options
    I've been asked so many questions that I'm going to try to answer some of them here.

:noway: Why homeschool? First of all, any good parent "homeschools" their children, and by that I mean they teach them at home. They teach them how to walk, talk, potty, abc's, and hopefully they teach them good values (oh yeah, we're talking about good parents here who would naturally teach them good values!)

When children reach school age, we just trade hours for when we are teaching our children at home. I teach mine from 9-1, and other parents start when the kids get home with their homework, reading to them, etc.

I. So, why "homeschool."
    Parents choose to do this for many different reasons.
    A. Some, like us, are moving around so much they don't what their kids to have to deal with all the different curriculums across the nation and overseas, thereby avoiding learning gaps.

B. Some, also like us, have religious objections to someone else having our precious children for their best hours of the day, and leaving us with the tired cranky children later on :laugh: believing that God has bestowed the education of our children on us as our responsibility and not the state.

C. Other parents recognize that their children are just not thriving in a large schoolroom environment and try to catch their kids up in what they are lacking for a year or two.

D. Some parents are just wacko and want their kids around all the time (also like us):laugh: :laugh:

E. Some parents are having so much trouble with their kids, that they try this as a second chance because their kids are causing trouble at school, and getting into trouble with other kids at school. Word of Warning, it usually takes a year of doing NOTHING after bringing a rebellious child out of school (ever heard "You can't make me"?). I would use the Sonlight reading list and just start reading out loud really good books to them (they may pretend they can't hear you, but they do) After many months, they do come around; but they have been addicted to their peers and taking them out of that will make them very angry. Parents doing this need to be patient, and slowly restore discipline to an out of control kid.

F. Some parents do this because they believe they can provide a more excellent education. True in some cases, and not true in others. All depends on the parents. There is no problem with finding a good curriculum, in fact there are so many it's hard to even choose one. And YOU have the teacher books, so you know what they are learning, how they are learning it, and whether they are learning or not. You are in control, and you know what their weaknesses are and their strengths and can customize their education to what they need the most.

II. So, what to do if you find you have this insatiable urge to do this crazy thing.... :huh: what next?
    A. Start reading.
    A1 Homegrown Kids is a good start for any parent, homeschooling or not. It gives great tips on how to better teach your children making learning experiences part of your everyday routine.
    A2 www.sonlight.com is a great resource website as well as curriculum provider. They have a section called "20 reasons Why NOT to use their curriculum" as well as "20 Reasons Why to Use their Curriculum"
    A3 HSLDA.com
    A4 Focus on the Family has articles on homeschooling

III Socialization. I think I've been asked that more times than I care to count. :grumble: I actually had a sheet written up about this because this seems to be the one topic people ask about when they find out you do this crazy thing. Socialization is the process whereby adults pass on their values to their children. It is not children teaching children how to behave. Children actually have a hard time being properly socialized when they are only around their own age all the time. They have a hard time relating to people of other ages; they are often intolerant of younger children, and too immature to relate to adults. So, truly, a well-socialized child is one who can relate to all ages (a typical old-fashioned large family that has babies, toddlers, teens and maybe even a grandparent living with them -- I say old-fashioned because this is what families looked like at the turn of the century).

Having said all that, our kids have been involved in YMCA sports, local swimteams, Civil Air Patrol (Air Force Scouts) and church activities, which have all helped give them an opportunity to be around other kids and make friends. My bottom line has always been, keeping my kids on my team.

I hope this answers some of the questions. If you have any more, just shoot away and I'll try to answer them. Oh yes, here's another one, can they get into college? I have one at A&M in the engineering department and one going in the fall for History. So, yes.

:yawn: Now what does this have to do with dieting????? Absolutely nothing, except that being around food all the time and having to prepare it for little ones makes it really really HARD to lose weight:laugh: :explode:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Great post, Beep ... but I think that homeschooling does have something to do with dieting! The most horrifying part of my public schooling was not the curriculum but the food!

I shudder to think that my future kids might chow down on Elio's pizza or David's Cookies for lunch (the way I did). I credit bad food choices in high school for much of my weight gain from age 15-18.

When I have kids, I will look around for a school where healthy meals and snacks are served. And if I can't find one, I might start my own.

As inspiration, one of my professors founded a school where local children could start learning foreign languages early.

I don't see why there would be less demand for a school where children could learn better eating and exercise habits early!
  • beep
    Options
    True!

And I forgot to add another reason why parents homeschool: because they truly cannot afford a private school for their kids. I love the idea of the "classical school" where children learn mastery in their subjects in the lower grades, and in the upper grades learn how to think and how to articulate what they've learned, rhetoric, Greek, Latin, etc.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Hey, this is a great post!!! My children are not old enough yet for grade school, but, yes, I do homeschool them in potty training and manners and other such things. I plan to homeschool my children when it comes time for it. I have 5 brothers and 3 sisters and my mother homeschooled most of us for a good portion of our school years, until she had to work fulltime when my father passed away. Motherhood/fatherhood is so mistaken now-a-days and I wish there were more people like you.
    Keep up the good work.
    Suzanne
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I would love to home school when the time comes but honestly an scared to do it:tongue: I didn't do that well in school and don't remember of what they taught me:laugh: So it's a thought but would need to investagate this more.
    Great job and great post:happy:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    And the Socratic method should also be incorporated earlier! It keeps students more engaged in their learning and improves articulation. It's truly a shame that many students never experience this method of learning unless they pursue an advanced degree.

You are doing a great thing ... I can tell from your posts that your children will certainly excel in writing!

My mother was amazingly dedicated to my education during my early childhood. She encouraged me to read broadly, from literary classics and historical texts, and taught me as much math as she knew.

Then she gave me the *option* to continue my study of mathematics with a retired professor who did tutoring on the side. I continued these studies for a year. When I got bored and wanted to get more involved in swimming instead, both of my parents were supportive. Looking back on this, I am so full of appreciation for their encouragement without insistence. (I knew children who were pushed much harder and were not as well-rounded.)

There's one thing that I would have done differently. My math tutor was used to teaching high school students who had trouble learning math, not younger children with mathematical aptitude. Having had this experience, I recommend that when you reach this point in any subject, seek a teacher/ professor whose approach inspires the desire to pursue the limits of knowledge, rather than one who focuses on the student's limits.

My best to you,
    YP
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    as a teacher all i can say is....bless your heart.

i get to say goodbye but you have munchkins' around all day. You are amazing!
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being able to homeschool, I hope everything will work out great for you, you will get to spend priceless time with your children and I'm sure with your wits they'll go far!:drinker:
  • beep
    Options
    Congrats on being able to homeschool, I hope everything will work out great for you, you will get to spend priceless time with your children and I'm sure with your wits they'll go far!:drinker:

You think I have wits left????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know this probably seemed like a weird post, but i just got so many questions from another unrelated post about homeschooling, that it seemed expedient to just answer all the questions on one post.
  • chrissy8382015
    Options
    I love your post !!!:happy: I homeschool my childern. I love being around them and getting to know them it is great. I agreed with every thing you said. !!! Very well explaind on all fronts well done :flowerforyou:
  • beep
    Options
    I love your post !!!:happy: I homeschool my childern. I love being around them and getting to know them it is great. I agreed with every thing you said. !!! Very well explaind on all fronts well done :flowerforyou:

And there's so much more to say.... like I forgot to give kudos to all those teachers out there who do a great job with a classroom full of children. My situation is a teacher's dream, one on one, with (right now) 3.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on homeschooling. I went to public school, and was lucky enough to go to a small-ish rural school. I had a great time, made a bunch of friends, and got a really good education compared to a lot of the people I met in college.

Now, most of the people I met in college went to prep schools, private schools, or were homeschooled. A lot of them had issues with real socialization and the... umm... colors of the social landscape. This was especially bad for the homeschoolers - it seems like those who were homeschooled came in two varieties - those whose parents actively got them to interact with other kids (they turned out mostly fine), and those who basically never left their home. From the ones who never left their home, one committed suicide, and numerous others dropped out. Some after a single day of college. And, a LOT of them had trouble with a lot of the basic courses in college unless their parents were really qualified to teach.

If you're going to homeschool, make sure your kids get out and see the world and everything it has to offer - the good AND the bad. AND make sure you can provide an adequate education.

I mean, its about whats best for them, not just satisfying your urge to have them around, right? So if you can provide the best environment for them to grow mentally, emotionally, and socially, then by all means go for it! :smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey beep,

I have to tell you that the thought of homeschooling my son has entered my mind a time or two. I just get really nervous about the school system in certain areas. I live in Bridgeport, CT right now, which is not exactly known for using the high tax $$ to help the schools. My son is not even 2 yet and I am trying to figure out what will happen by the time he enters Kindergarten. I HOPE to live in another town but if not, will have to figure something out because I am not very comfortable with the education he would get here. I might be able to get him into a magnet school, but that is a lottery, so it is not guaranteed.

I am looking to possibly put him into the montessori school at my church or private school or maybe even homeschool until we can move. I just find it amazing that I have to be concerned about this in THIS country.

Tami
  • beep
    Options

If you're going to homeschool, make sure your kids get out and see the world and everything it has to offer - the good AND the bad. AND make sure you can provide an adequate education.

I mean, its about whats best for them, not just satisfying your urge to have them around, right? So if you can provide the best environment for them to grow mentally, emotionally, and socially, then by all means go for it! :smile:

You are absolutely right. Total isolation is never a good thing for anyone. A good homeschooling program will teach children what is out there, as well as protect them. For instance, we have had our kids work at a local mission during the summers, where they are exposed to a very poor element of society. They tutor kids in basic math and English skills. They also have worked at a soup kitchen occasionally.

I'm truly not exactly sure what to do for shy kids. I believe if they are extremely introverted, they will be the same in public school as well as out. I know several kids (because I work with many kids from our local high school) who are so shy they don't talk to anyone but immerse themselves in their music. My kids are, I guess, natural extroverts, talkative (hard to shut up sometimes) and well-liked by their peers.
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    Hey, Beep!

It's funny you bring up this subject. I've got 16 month old twins and I've been thinking about (of course) their future a lot lately. I absolutely HATE the thought of putting them in public school. We have two very good private schools here, but the tuition is very high (for a single mom who can't count on their "father" to regularly pay child support or help out in any other way financially) SO I've been giving some serious thought to homeschooling. I know it's a long way off but it's my kids' future so it's never to early to start thinking about it. My main problem is that since I am a single mom and have to work full time, what about the schedule? Is it totally crazy to have an upside down schedule for them? Can we be this alternative? I'd love any insight you can give me! Thanks bunches!
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    It is extremely important for parents to know their own limits when they homeschool their children. I would not have been well-served had my mother insisted on teaching me science with the aid of just textbooks and no laboratory equipment, or if she had tried to teach me beyond her own knowledge of mathematics without fully understanding it herself. While I firmly believe that she could have taught me through the sixth grade curriculum on her own, she could not have exposed me to as many subjects as I had learned in the public school system by then, or with as much rigor - especially in math.

Furthermore, putting me in school enabled her to re-enter the workforce when I was 12, which almost doubled our family income. This enabled my parents to live comfortably while my sister and I attended private universities at the same time. It also instilled in both of us the value of money, work ethic, the importance of saving, and financial independence for women.

I will complete a graduate degree and re-enter the workforce very soon. While I hope to have children, I highly doubt that I will leave the workforce for more than a short period at a time. The cost of doing so in foregone income would be too high. I hope that my mother will still have enough energy to look after my young children, and when they reach school age, I can always move to the suburbs where either my husband or I grew up, and where the public schools are excellent.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

You are absolutely right. Total isolation is never a good thing for anyone. A good homeschooling program will teach children what is out there, as well as protect them. For instance, we have had our kids work at a local mission during the summers, where they are exposed to a very poor element of society. They tutor kids in basic math and English skills. They also have worked at a soup kitchen occasionally.

I'm truly not exactly sure what to do for shy kids. I believe if they are extremely introverted, they will be the same in public school as well as out. I know several kids (because I work with many kids from our local high school) who are so shy they don't talk to anyone but immerse themselves in their music. My kids are, I guess, natural extroverts, talkative (hard to shut up sometimes) and well-liked by their peers.

Also look into playgroups and youth leagues. Most school districts will allow home schoolers to play on sports teams - if not, youth leagues give the kids a great place to interact with other kids their own age. Also, back home my friends who were homeschooled had a group of parents who ran a playgroup so all of the homeschooled kids could interact with one another. :)
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this information, Beep. I started homeschooling my oldest son six years ago when he started kindergarten. In the fall I will have one in sixth grade, one in fourth, one in second, and one in kindergarten. Teaching them has definitely been challenging and I am thankful for the elementary education classes as took in college. Through the years we have also had the opportunity to be part of homeschooling co-ops and support groups. We also keep our children involved in activities such as sports, playgroups, music lessons, and church functions. We have had several people comment how well adapted our children seem to be and how comfortable they are interacting with people of various ages. I think homeschooling can be done well and I think it can be done poorly. I have seen examples of both.

One additional note - if you are considering homeschooling you need to check the regulations for your state.
  • beep
    Options
    Hey, Beep!

It's funny you bring up this subject. I've got 16 month old twins and I've been thinking about (of course) their future a lot lately. I absolutely HATE the thought of putting them in public school. We have two very good private schools here, but the tuition is very high (for a single mom who can't count on their "father" to regularly pay child support or help out in any other way financially) SO I've been giving some serious thought to homeschooling. I know it's a long way off but it's my kids' future so it's never to early to start thinking about it. My main problem is that since I am a single mom and have to work full time, what about the schedule? Is it totally crazy to have an upside down schedule for them? Can we be this alternative? I'd love any insight you can give me! Thanks bunches!

That is really a tough question. Any takers??? I would visit a homeschooling website such as HSLDA.com or www.sonlight.com and ask some questions.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Hey, Beep!

That is really a tough question. Any takers??? I would visit a homeschooling website such as HSLDA.com or www.sonlight.com and ask some questions.
    One of the advantages to homeschooling is flexibility. We use a modified schedule because my husband works at night. Our day starts and ends about three hours later than "normal" schools. One thing to consider though is that children generally learn better earlier in their day, so if they have been up all day and then have to start school when you come home in the afternoons their attention span and capability for understanding will be greatly diminished. Looks like you have awhile before they are ready for school so your situation may be different by then. Of course, it's never to early to start considering possibilities. As Beep mentioned there are tons of online resources for this subject.:smile: