People with sit-down jobs

Options
My job doesn't allow for "free" exercise. The last three months I've been walking before work and during my lunch. I started out losing like crazy but it has slowed down quite a bit. What are some other ideas besides sitting on a ball. It's a professional setting so that wouldn't look good.

Replies

• gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    To begin with I wish you all the best with your weightloss journey! It is great that you are actually working hard for it despite your job demands! Congrats!
    Now, one thing that can be accommodated in any formal setting is 'smart food choices'. Personally, I have been exercising regularly for a while, but if I do not make healthy food choices, I do not lose weight. Exercise can only do so much. On the other hand, veggies can do a lot. (+I also try staying away from food with weird unknown ingredients.)
    All the best for your journey once again!
    Gargi
  • jt221990
    jt221990 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Get a chair without wheels and do calf lifts
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    your body probably just got used to walking, go for a run :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    To begin with I wish you all the best with your weightloss journey! It is great that you are actually working hard for it despite your job demands! Congrats!
    Now, one thing that can be accommodated in any formal setting is 'smart food choices'. Personally, I have been exercising regularly for a while, but if I do not make healthy food choices, I do not lose weight. Exercise can only do so much. On the other hand, veggies can do a lot. (+I also try staying away from food with weird unknown ingredients.)
    All the best for your journey once again!
    Gargi

Definitely agree! It doesn't sound like you have many options at work besides the walking you already do (which is great, by the way). Just make healthy food choices during your day, and exercise at night or in the early morning if you can. I also work in a professional office and I have to save exercising for times when I'm not at work. You can try workout DVDs at home, running, weight lifting, etc!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My job doesn't allow for "free" exercise. The last three months I've been walking before work and during my lunch. I started out losing like crazy but it has slowed down quite a bit. What are some other ideas besides sitting on a ball. It's a professional setting so that wouldn't look good.

i used to work at a fortune 20 company where 1/2 of the managers/directors sat on those balls at work (though they were all ladies)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    you could try one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Mini-Cycle/dp/B0016BQFV0

just google mini desk bike
  • KatieKatB
    Options
    If your in a multi level building, always take the stairs, I walk at break and go up and down them.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I am in cube city at my job; however, I do some exercises. When I'm on the phone and don't need to type, I do squats or calf raises. I also do some lunges on the way to the copier - it looks a little weird, but I really don't care. You can do kegel type clenches for the abdominal muscles while sitting. and lots of arm stretches to keep the blood flowing. Get creative.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water at work. So I make a lot of trips to the water cooler and a lot of trips to the bathroom. I go to the bathroom that is farthest from my office. My building is a big "maze" so I'll sometimes just leave my office and walk around the maze a couple times.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't cause you to lose weight, eating at a caloric deficit does

If you're not losing weight, I'd look at your diet before your exercise habits
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Diet is more important for weight loss, but if you don't want to further reduce caloric intake then Increase NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity). Fidget while sitting there, tap your foot, flex muscle, when on the phone stand up and pace, get up and take a walk to get water, the bathroom, take stairs up and down instead of elevator, etc.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I never thought of sitting on a ball...i think I would fall off! I saw an add for a treadmill for your desk the other day on the internet...sure wish companies would spring for those!!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Can you request a standing work station?
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a MagneTrainer. Google it and read the reviews.

There are cheaper systems but I prefer this one because of its quality and manufacturer support. It is really working for me and I wish I had it years ago. I was in a lot of pain a couple of months ago but I've gained so much strength along with more weight loss.
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I come in a half hour early, take an hour and a half lunch and go to a local gym during lunch.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't cause you to lose weight, eating at a caloric deficit does

If you're not losing weight, I'd look at your diet before your exercise habits

true that
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    char exercises...get up and power walk every hour right in your office or cube...work up a sweat...i have a small cube and I still stretch and do exercises every so often to burn some calories when I felt I've sat to long!:flowerforyou:
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Taking the stairs can burn some cals.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use a fitness ball at work as a chair, but i have back issues so I don't normally spend the whole day on it.
    I use my (2) "15 min smoke breaks" (I don't smoke) to walk laps out in the parking/receiving lot.
    And today I've decided that I'm gonna use half my lunch hour to walk off the property - got 1.7 miles in 30min today after I ate my lunch (salad).
    Sometimes if the weather is nasty, I go into the restroom and do some strength training - squats, legs lifts, wall push-ups, lunges.