Soda

Options
So, i haven't been drinking any pop at all....have cut it out completely...BUT, i was wondering, if I wanted a glass or bottle of pop once in a while, what would be the wisest, smartest choice to get??

Replies

• sfinch
    Options
    Have you tried Coke Zero, its pretty good!
  • nikkie77
    nikkie77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sierra Mist Diet is good and so is Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • dalejackson
    Options
    How about Hansens? You can get it at Trader Joe's and some other places. I think it's all natural...
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I am not a big fan of diet or "zero" pops, so if I am craving one (which doesn't happen often luckily), I like to buy the mini cans. You can find them in your regular pop aisle at the supermarket, I know they for sure have A&W, 7-up, Sunkist, and I am sure other types as well. I believe the can is only about 100 calories, they are usually sold in a 6 pack. At least this way I don't feel committed to an entire can or even worse a bottle which has 2.5 servings.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    I am not a big fan of diet or "zero" pops, so if I am craving one (which doesn't happen often luckily), I like to buy the mini cans. You can find them in your regular pop aisle at the supermarket, I know they for sure have A&W, 7-up, Sunkist, and I am sure other types as well. I believe the can is only about 100 calories, they are usually sold in a 6 pack. At least this way I don't feel committed to an entire can or even worse a bottle which has 2.5 servings.

excellent idea....thank you...that's exactly what i'll pick up on friday when i go grocery shopping
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well your choices are HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) which will make you feel hungry even when you aren't (avoid all normal sodas) or aspartime (nutrasweet) which can cause seizures in people who are suceptable (do you really want more chemicals in your body). Look for the throw back versions of PepsiCo soda (made with sugar) or some other soda made with sugar. If you look hard enough you can find all natural sodas, and those would be the better choice. Your best choice is to be proud of your decision, work hard on it, not have the temptation in your home, and drink more water. Whatever you choose make sure you check the serving size and log it to get an accurate assesment of your calories. Good luck and I hope you choose to stay strong and not give in.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    It depends on your personality. If you are the type of person that can have 1 and say no to the rest then go for it - have a pop every once in a while to satisfy your craving for it. But, if you are the kind that has one and then has to have another and another - then Id stay away from it. Dont tempt yourself.
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love the mini cans. You can have a "little" of the REAL DEAL!!! :)::drinker:
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    i bought 2 packs of the small cans yesterday...got the diet pepsi zero which has 0 cals and the 7up which has 110cals

my problem was always drinking like 3 or 4 cans a day...that's absurd...i will now be limiting myself to 1 can a day at lunchtime
  • southpawed
    Options
    I love the mini cans. You can have a "little" of the REAL DEAL!!! :)::drinker:

Mini cans are the best aren't they?! :drinker:

Before drinking diet sodas, do a little research on the Aspartame that's in them. Definitely not something that I want in my body!
  • phillez
    Options
    what about flavored/carbonated water? I know it sounds silly, but sometimes it just satisfies that carbonation craving!
  • annaleigh92
    Options
    Crystal Light is yummy and satisfies that sweet drink craving! Just 5 calories per serving.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    Crystal Light is yummy and satisfies that sweet drink craving! Just 5 calories per serving.

yes, i usually have just 2 of them each day
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I always wince when I read about people drinking/eating anything artificially sweetened. The latest studies have shown that the regular consumption of artificial sweetners has an impact on the brains "want more" receptors. You can google it if you want! Not to mention the adverse effects they can have on your health. Like the PP said, water is best! I get so sick of water, then switch to water with lemon or lime squeezed in it!!!

ETA: I also think that there is nothing wrong with having an actual soda once in a while. And the whole fructose issue isn't really an issue. A simple sugar is a simple sugar. I would just advise not having a soda on an empty stomach, and with a protein to help stabalize blood sugar!!!

Congrats on such a great job so far!!!
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    Sugar free red bull. It gives you wings too:happy:
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

It's true :] Raspberry lemonade and fruit punch are delicious! It makes you think you are cheating but really you aren't!
    And it doesn't tear up your stomache like all those diet sodas.
    :]
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the one thing that I cant give up...oh well
  • southpawed
    Options
    :smile:

I always wince when I read about people drinking/eating anything artificially sweetened. The latest studies have shown that the regular consumption of artificial sweetners has an impact on the brains "want more" receptors. You can google it if you want! Not to mention the adverse effects they can have on your health. Like the PP said, water is best! I get so sick of water, then switch to water with lemon or lime squeezed in it!!!

ETA: I also think that there is nothing wrong with having an actual soda once in a while. And the whole fructose issue isn't really an issue. A simple sugar is a simple sugar. I would just advise not having a soda on an empty stomach, and with a protein to help stabalize blood sugar!!!

Congrats on such a great job so far!!!

I couldn't agree more ...
    My grandmother suffers from dementia and I often wonder if it's because 'back in the day', she used to drink TONS of flavored water (which contains aspartame). One of the side effects of consuming aspartame IS dementia. :cry: