Should I exercise the day before I weigh myself?

Options
I've been reading all kinds of posts about how sometimes you lose when you DON'T exercise because you tend to hold more water after exercising (making the scale say more). So I was wondering: What if I work out 6 days a week (Monday-Saturday) and take Sunday off (because I weigh myself Monday mornings before any food or exercise)? Would the scale be more accurate? I feel like this is a stupid question, but I was hoping that someone could help. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You should be taking a day or two off during the week anyway to give your body time to recover from all the hard work it's doing. Sunday is an awesome day to rest! I always find them very peaceful.
  • rileya
    rileya Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you should not worry about the number if you want to workout 7 days a week you should do it and accept the extra pound that you could be adding from water weight. I personally workout on weigh in days because I figure it is better than nothing. Hope that helps :)
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You are doing just fine. Working out the day before a weigh in really shouldn't do too much. Your body has all night long to try to regulate itself, IE when you "go" in the mornings :)

Your body does need some rest in between. I workout alot too and have to remember that it is okay to take a day off here and there :)

Hang in there and remember no question is a dumb question!
  • queensara2478
    Options
    It is good to take a day "off" from a hard workout. I tend to workout 7 days a week some morning and some evenings and I try not to weigh myself the morning after an evening workout because the scale tends to be a few pounds heavier. After 6 days of intense workouts my 7th day I usually do a 45 minute walk or a leisure bike ride and the next morning I will weigh in. Good luck!
  • Deadw8t
    Options
    I just try to be consistent. I weigh myself in the morning after waking up. This way clothing, amount of food and water, and other things are less likely to affect the weigh.

I started weighing myself each day. I know most people tell you not to do it, but it has allowed me to see how my body reacts. I've seen how I will lose weight during the week and then over the weekend some back. This is also when I have my day off from exercise. Now I weigh in twice a week. Same times and just gives me an idea if I am working hard. Works for me, but may not work for everyone.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will repeat others. Consistency is important. If you work out the day before it's no big deal. So what if the scale might read a little less the day after you take a rest. It's not gonna be by much. For me, it's not like I'm super close to my goal and just want to see that number. Over a period of time you should be seeing a loss. That's the important thing to keep in mind. Although being able to see a number lower by even one digit is exciting. Exercise is important to your heart. Especially people like me who are heavy and need to lose a lot of weight. My heart needs to be conditioned and taken care of.

I've always heard, "Don't sweat the small stuff." Just keep it up! Don't worry so much about the number on the scale. That's not always accurate. I myself need to get a tape measure. But I really think that's the most accurate way to keep accurate records of loss of fat.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I don't the specific reason, but from experience, if I workout the day before my weigh in I do not show as much of a weightloss. I always take a couple of rest days during the week so I plan one the day before I weigh in. I do believe the body needs plenty of time to rest. I know if I workout seven days a week my body gets run down and it really effects my knees in a negative way. In the long run whether you chose to rest the day before or not you are still working toward the ultimate goal of health so really in the end it should not matter to much.
  • JustJamie
    JustJamie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I think I got a little better prospective on things. I think I will take Sunday off from my normal exercise routine; since I clean house on Sundays (not light cleaning, either, I have a pretty big house to clean), I will probably burn some calories anyway. :)