So... Did this burn extra calories for me? Or... no????

Options
Since I started my "new lifestyle" (diet/exercise/weight loss), I've focused on either walking or using my rebounder for exercise.

Some (or all three) of my oldest children and I go for a walk each night after my five little ones are tucked into bed for the night (my husband is home).

Usually, we go about a mile (approx) one way. So, a total of 1 1/2 to 2 miles 3-5x/week.

Anyway, we live in town (unfortunately). Often we go to a grocery called "Cub Foods". Same distance.

Now, tonight, the girls and I went to Cub Foods, again. We came back with a few bags of groceries. It was about 30 lbs (literally) that I was carrying (I had two heavy bags). We walked the same 1 mile there... 1 mile back.

So... did the fact I was CARRYING EXTRA WEIGHT help me to burn extra calories? Or no?

How do I enter this into "exercise" in MFP? Can I? Is there a way to tally extra calories burned?

I'd love to know!

Thanks in advance to any of you smarter individuals that can answer me! :wink:

Love,
Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Since I started my "new lifestyle" (diet/exercise/weight loss), I've focused on either walking or using my rebounder for exercise.

Some (or all three) of my oldest children and I go for a walk each night after my five little ones are tucked into bed for the night (my husband is home).

Usually, we go about a mile (approx) one way. So, a total of 1 1/2 to 2 miles 3-5x/week.

Anyway, we live in town (unfortunately). Often we go to a grocery called "Cub Foods". Same distance.

Now, tonight, the girls and I went to Cub Foods, again. We came back with a few bags of groceries. It was about 30 lbs (literally) that I was carrying (I had two heavy bags). We walked the same 1 mile there... 1 mile back.

So... did the fact I was CARRYING EXTRA WEIGHT help me to burn extra calories? Or no?

How do I enter this into "exercise" in MFP? Can I? Is there a way to tally extra calories burned?

I'd love to know!

Thanks in advance to any of you smarter individuals that can answer me! :wink:

Love,
    Carrie
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would guess it burned a few extra calories. Try putting it in as pushing a stroller or other weight... I can't remember what the exact options are, but I know there's one for carrying a baby and one for pushing a stroller.

We had Cub Foods in IL when I lived there!
  • mattblancarte
    Options
    Carrying weights will help burn a few extra calories. It probably gave you somewhere in the ballpark of 30-50 extra burned. If you noticed a significant difference in difficulty with your walk home compared to your walk there, you were burning extra calories. Not much extra, though. :smile:
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yes, you would burn more calories. It would be like you weighed your weight plus the weight of the groceries.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    In the exercise database here, I think there's "walking carrying infant or fifteen pound weight" which I use for when I'm tooling around with my backpack on or coming home from the grocery.

Oh, and for me, that burns about 200 calories in an hour. (just in case I put it in my exercises and forgot. . .)