Do you feel thinner? Because I don't....

Options

Replies

• vickijay
    vickijay Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I am not the only one. I was sitting squeezing my tubby thighs when my bf got in and I told him about it and he told me not to be so silly. But it is just how I feel...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I agree and am 100% with ya. Sad that we never feel good enough.. always seeing the worst (hips or chins or little dimples) even when we are killing ourselves at the gym, carving out time to concentrate on ourselves and balancing family/ career/ school.

BREAK THE CYCLE AND raise GIRLS (and boys) TO LOVE THEIR BODIES NO MATTER WHAT SIZE they are. Be the one influence that makes them happy to be themselves. Encourage a healthy body image.

“Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images.”
    ― Cheri K. Erdman.

“By choosing healthy over skinny you are choosing self-love over self-judgment. You are beautiful!”
    ― Steve Maraboli

I have no problems with self esteem. Just because you want to improve yourself doesn't mean you have self loathing or an unhealthy body image.
  • tkeech
    Options
    All i can say is THANK GOODNESS this is normal- i have been feeling this as well and no-one else seems to understand it :-(
    Its an awful feeling but obvisously 'normal'
    I notice it in my clothing and by peoples comments but to look in the mirror- totally different story.. feel like i will NEVER get down to a size that I'M HAPPY with :-(
    I was thinking of taking mysel out of my comfort zone and enetering a fashions competeion at the local races on Melbourne Cup day- not to get the votes or to win but to feel confident enough to put myself out there- perhaps it is what i need to finally see what everyone else seems to be seeing???
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm the smallest I've ever been and I still don't feel like I'm that different although I've lost nearly 20lbs. But I am starting to feel a little better about it. :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I feel ya.

I've lost 30lbs. I went down from a size XL/16 to a size M/8 and I still feel like I'm huge. I see every imperfection. I feel every jiggle of fat. I still feel fat and ugly. I'm hoping this fades, but it just seems to be getting worse the closer I get to my weight goal.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    Nope, I feel fatter. I think it's because I am more conscious of everything now, and if someone doesn't say WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW you look amazing, I am shattered.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it's a mixed bag, isn't it?! I know I LOOK thinner and am maybe too satisfied with that, esp since it's been almost 20yrs since I've been this size. However, I FEEL fatter and still have about 30# of blub to lose. I guess I feel good in public and not nearly as good alone.
  • BadgerSensei
    BadgerSensei Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think this is normal. Heck. I'm a guy (So I'm supposed to not care about this stuff) I'm developing visible muscle definition (at least, under the fat) and I've lost like 105 pounds. I feel pretty much the exact same way I did. Even though I have to cinch my belt ridiculously tight to keep my pants on.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yup.. I still feel fat a lot of days. like today. but other days i do say "oh yeah i look good and skinnier." seems to depend on my mood that day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel thinner until I see a picture of myself. Then I say "ugh, still fat"

^ This is me too!

I always think I am thinner than I really am. Ugh! Reverse body image. :laugh:
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I felt thinner and happy about how I looked in my skivies.. I think that is why I started to get lazy and gained some of it back.. :explode:

but I do hate pictures.. ><
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Yep, I lost 80 lbs before starting on MFP and I have never felt skinny. I saw it on photos but I didn't feel it. I think those who struggle with weight have the worst case of BDD. I don't know if this is any different from anyone with an eating disorder.
  • nate6868
    Options
    Well when i started this i felt the same that because i wasn't toning my body by exercising i was just dieting. Dieting is important but if you wanna feel great and be toned exercise is key as well!
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling this a lot lately - Kinda weird actually. I've been at my current weight +/- for a couple of weeks now & now I'm "seeing" my body differently... Seems like just a couple of weeks ago all I could see was the progress & now when I see my reflection I have the same reaction to my body that I did 20lbs ago :(

^^ this
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel fat, but I'm reassured when I slip into my smaller clothing, flex my new muscles, and look in the mirror. I'm much happier with the image I see. Pictures and mirrors are no longer my enemies! I hope you, too, will soon be able to see and appreciate the new image you've carved out! Just as important, I love being able to run, climb, jump, and do things I thought I might never do again. From the day I signed on to MFP over a year ago, I've been excited. I enjoyed reaching my weight goal, but I'm still excited as I push myself to meet new physical goals. For me, this has been a great experience and so much fun! :drinker:
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel fat today, mostly because I went shopping and tried on the next size down. I wasn't ready for it yet, kind of a blow. I have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come, not how far I still have to go.

I've been known to do this, too, and have the same problem!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i know im much thiner, i have had to buy all new clothes , i see me in the mirrow or shop windows and like what i see but even tho everyone now says stop i wont to loose at least another stone.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Some days I still think that I am really fat. Than I look at my before pictures and realize how good I look. Society has made us think that no matter how thin we are, we are fat. I know that I don't look like a model, probably never will, but I am getting to where I am happy with the person I have become. Even if I don't lose that last 20lbs I am so proud of myself and how far I have come. I know now that I was really obese before and chose not to believe it. I am healthy and just got a clean bill of health from my doctor. To me looks aren't as important as how I feel and I know that I am healthier than I have ever been.
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    I think that anyone who has struggled with their weight will always have this issue. I know I do. I've only lost 5lbs, but I know I've lost inches. I had to go down a pant size, and today I went shopping on my lunch hour, and dropped a shirt size. Awesome right? Right. But I don't see it, and I don't feel it. I feel like I've gained weight, especially in my mid section. But clothes don't lie (unless someone played a mean trick and switched all the sizing labels lol). You will have days where you can see the differences, and days where you feel like you were before. It's natural. And I think it has been programmed into our heads from society. We're expected to look a certain way or be a certain weight, and when you don't fit into that, you get down on yourself and you are your own worst critic and enemy. Just take it one day at a time, it'll get better.

:)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    No I know exactly what you mean, I have lost 128 pounds and still feel just as heavy. I hate it.