Personal experiences w/ HCG? Looking for some perspective.

Options
As the subject would communicate, I am considering HCG, my mom has lost inches and pounds on it very recently and her friend got back to her high school size on it after thirty years! I've been on MFP for months, working out like a crazy person, adjusting my diet in different ways, and have hit this plateau. Today I fell apart, and just went on this massive binge after losing out on a job opportunity. On top of that I have fibromyalgia, so the extreme exercise is causing more pain than gain. I just want to get down to a healthy weight, and see some changes, and want to know what others have experienced? Please share some anecdotes!

Replies

• KimberErin
    KimberErin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have done it and as much as it works, I'm not sure I would recommend it. You have to be COMPLETELY dedicated. If you go above your 500 calorie limit then you're basically screwed and gain like 2+ pounds back. and once you get off you NEEEEEEED to have a low calorie diet for at least 2 weeks.. maybe more. I lost 10 pounds from it in quite a short time but because my diet wasn't amazing when I got off I gained pretty much all the weight back and then some.. Just be careful if you do decide to do it, make sure that you are absolutely, without a doubt, dedicated and will stick with it. no cheating.

Good luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea. I'm too lazy to explain why, but I am sure that some more helpful posters will be along soon to provide reasons.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    26075904.jpg
  • KimberErin
    KimberErin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also if you are looking for a quick fix, try the South Beach Diet. I am doing it right now and I have lost 5 pounds in 4 days. For the first 2 weeks you aren't allowed to eat sugar, fruit, starches such as potatoes, carrots, corn. and no flour. But as for everything else, go ahead. It is a low carb, low sugar diet though. So everything you buy at the store has to be fat free, sugar free, etc. It truely is amazing though, My skin is starting to clear up and I feel full and have energy. Check it out. It might be worth trying. plus its healthy. After your two weeks then you add back in the fruit, and whatever else, but this time with whole grains instead of white.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago, before I knew it was urine. I lost 15lbs in a week. I gained 40 back within a month. Good times.
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried HCG back in Jan and lost 18lbs in 30 days, then did the no sugar low carb maintnance phase for 28 days during which I was absolutely neurotically diligent and gained 6lbs back. At this point I am back to my starting weight and have decided to just count calories and exercise and try to embrace a new way of life rather than a temporary diet. Good Luck with whatever you decide!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I didn't try it, don't think it looks like any fun to me, but here's an article by a doctor at a reputable site that says the human urine stuff doesn't do the trick so much as they severe starvation that goes with it, which means you'd completely yoyo plus have been getting injections of other people's pee...your tastes may differ from mine, but I had much better luck cutting high-gluten stuff and getting enough vitamins.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :heart: IBTL:heart:
  • farroz
    farroz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks but a large portion of the was muscle mass. It felt unhealthy when I was doing it. My muscles felt weak. I felt that when I started eating normal again it was slow putting the weight back on but I felt I gained back fat instead of my muscle. I would look at you intake vs your output. I am guesssing they are not accurate or else you should be losing weight. Or try differnt exewrcise routine. Your body become efficient at exercise because the human body is a misner and it dosent want to lose weight. It has worked so hard storing it for you ;-). Anyways, dont give up onyourself!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Bad news. I've never done it, but I have herd enough to say stay away from it, if possible get your loved ones to stop. It is very, very, unhealthy. I would bet my next years pay that you will end up larger than you are right now within 3 months of stopping hcg. Bad news. If your still not sure, ask your doctor....he will tell you not to do it as well. There is no quick fix aside from surgery that will help you lose weight and keep it off.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet is a very dangerous weight loss scam. Don't do it! It is based on a theory that quack "doctor" Simeons came up with back in the 1950s, and all the reliable scientific studies since then have found that HCG in ANY form does NOTHING to help with weight loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Sincerely,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.