New Meber with Rheumatoid Arthritis-Trying to get fit

Options
Hi. I am 49 years old and have been trying to get fit for over a year now. I lost 43 lbs but I want to loose 40 more. I have been diagnosed with RA and my knees are almost bone on bone. My doctor and I are forgoing surgery as long as we can. I can walk but it hurts at times. I can not longer do the moderate to hard cardio on the Precor that I use to do. I do light weight lifting. I want to get my target heart rate around 130 so that I can continue to burn fat. My diet is O.K. but I find that lately I eat about 1800-200 calories a day. More than I want too eat but I seem to have a larger apetitie. Maybe I am stressed over my health concerns. I gotta stop eating so much. I am 5'8, 188 lbs, and 49 years old. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Peace and Love to everyone!!!!!!

Replies

• vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think the least stressful on your body would probably be swimming.
    Im sorry you're having to deal w/ this so young, well, at any age.
    I wish you strength and luck for your goals/health.
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Thank you for your well wishes. It's just something I am going to have to manage the best I can. How is your fitness journey?
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    welcome, good luck on your journey!!
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    I agree with vmekash, swimming or water aerobics would be your best bet. I am 43 and have some arthritis myself but not as severe as what you are dealing with. Wish you the best of luck with your fitness goals/health.
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...i am 41 with the same problem. Most days i try to push through the pain because i know if i loose the weight it will help to (i have about 145 lbs to loose). I am looking at a knee replacement once i drop weight and if i still have pain. Swimming is the best, i also use the elliptical, i do light weights on my legs but up it for the upper body. I also take wild krill oil tablets and glucosomine tabs. Good luck with your journey!
  • jallison12
    Options
    I used a machine a long time ago, then recently at the beginning of the summer at a phsyiotherapist office. Don't know whats its called but you sit in a seat an sort of peddle with your arms.
    Just googled and found this. Can be put on a table top to use with arms and hands.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-InStride-Adjustable-Height-Cycle/dp/B005IQS7X8

Also, for swimming as Vmekash said, if your knees still hurt when kicking, pinching a kick board between your legs will isolate and float your legs and you would just be swimming with your arms. You'll have shoulders like a marine!

Good luck
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Thank YOu Sherry!!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going through what you are with RA. I did find a link to give you because I am a firm believer in building muscle and I do believe you get better cardio results from weight-training as well. I understand that it would have to be handled very carefully, easy does it and all that. Your doc may agree with this article I'm gonna give you the link to. Nutrition will be easy to track on MFP. I love their food diary. And, we will be here with you:) I know there are some of my friends here with MS, fibro and diabetics. You aren't alone I'm sure when it comes to the folks here with RA as well. My sister has Osteo Arthritis.

Ok, so here is the link first: http://www.arthritistoday.org/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/staying-active/why-lift-weights.php

That may give you some info. Other than that for now, I am sooooooooo glad you are here and I know that you can lose the weight, just stick with us and you will get wonderful encouragement!!

denise
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Thank you. I agree that swiming is my best bet. Was in the pool today and then the whirlpool. Loved it!!
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Hey Denise. Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I am glad I jointed MFP. Thanks!!!
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Thanks Melly!!
  • justbnme145
    Options
    Thank you Jallison!!
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As others have said - swimming, water aerobics, etc., would be good. I'm 50, I have knee problems but not quite the same as what you are going through. Something I found burned a good bit of calories and put zero stress on my knees was kayaking in a kayak on a lake. It's mostly upper body and work, a bit of core too, as you alternate the paddle from side to side. I'd do it more often if I could afford to - I got a couple of Groupon or Living Social type deals so I could do it a couple of times. Burned a bunch of calories while taking in nature - very relaxing.

You may be able to try some core exercises on a stability ball; tends to work your abdomen rather than legs.

One thing that worked well for me was Tai Chi for mild exercise. Not going for the big calorie burn, but it did help provide some level of exercise, although very slow. If you do look for Tai Chi, look for someone teaching a higher-stance style, such as Yang style, rather than Chen-style (that style accentuates a deep stance - rough on the knees).
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and have had bone on bone in my knees for over five years now. My surgeon said NOTHING but water exercise- swimming, water aerobics. I did do the table top "bike" for my arms for many years, but now my elbows and wrists are too arthritic for that. My town does not have a pool anywhere (small town Iowa) so I bought a hot tub, put it in my garage so I don't have to worry about a suit, and use that to "half swim". I sit in the footwell and do arm strokes, then hang on the side and kick. It is working for me- keeps muscles toned. Can't burn the calories as fast, but I don't hurt when I am done, nor the next day!
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I was recovering from multiple lower extremity injuries/surgeries in the Army, I would get my heart rate up by doing upper body machines with low weight, high reps, and rapid transitions between machines. I also used the punching bag. It's a great stress reliever too! The "arm bicycle" works, but I just didn't like it too much. As far as a total body workout, swimming would be very beneficial to you. My best advice, listen to your body, it will tell you what it doesn't like.